feeling lost please help

maxie

Hi, I had a glucose tolerance test the week before last, and went back to Docs last Thurs.
as I have high blood pressure. She told me that I had a reading of 14 and went to speak to the
practise nurse, she came back and said that I was indeed diabetic. She didnt really know anything about diabetes so made an appointiment for me for this Thur with the Nurse and said that she will be able to help me. I feel - totally in shock -. What kind of questions should I be asking the Nurse
please and has anyone else had this kind of thing - being told they are diabetic and then being told to wait a week for any info,
I feel totally lost....
Thanks

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
your poor thing, nothing worse than feeling in the dark, my heart goes out to you........you need to ask which type you have (sounds like type 2) and also, if you can control your diabetes with diet or tablets or injections or similar. A reading of 14 is high but I think (think!) that type 1's would get diagnosed at a higher level than that so hopefully some type 2's will be along in a minute with some diet advice.

One thing I will say is it's a learning curve so don't worry if you don't ask all the questions at your first appt, little by little you will pick it up and learn which is the best way for you to handle your diabetes.

Keep us posted :D

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I know how you feel - I was in a state of stock when diagnosed 10 years ago. You will find a lot of advice on this forum, & quick answers to your questions.

My experience of the X-PERT course. You will find the actual course linked on the first post.

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
Welcome Maxie
Not far ahead of you in this journey of discovery. I spent a long time using this forum as a learning tool to equip me in my plan to take control of diabetes. On the whole it is working. My BS are a lot lower from a low carb diet. You need to work out how low suits you. The lower the better for me so I have banished shop bought baked products including bread, pasta, rice, other grains, milk, potatoes .... from my diet and replaced with LC home made bread & cakes, more green veg, lots of celeriac for "chips" and mash, soya milk, more meat, cheese. As a result I now think differently. I do sometimes hit a brick wall - i.e. can't think of an alterntive but keep trying.
My advice when you see the nurse would be to get a glucose monitor and test strips (depends on your PCT whether this will be sanctioned) as you will need to test your blood sugars to know what different foods are doing to you. I have learnt that diabetes is very individual and just because something works for me it might not for you. Lots of people here will advocate that you eat to the meter. Test before you eat, then at meal + 1 hour then + 2 hour. Trends will appear.
Also useful if you can get a Collins Gem calorie counter (less than a fiver) which tells you the carb count of most foods. And beware portion size! 100g is deceptive so weigh your portions until you adapt.
Be kind to yourself and ask for help. My OH is supportive because he knows this taking control matters and will try the alternatives with me. If he doesn't like he isn't forced to LC with me but does like the cakes, the bread he says is definately getting better with every attempt, can't tell the difference between a soya milk cauli cheese and a regular one. Get educationg those around you as well.
I do have dark days when "woe is me" but on the whole the fact that the pains I had have all but gone, the head fog is a memory and I'm no longer depressed or suicidal makes the changes worthwhile.
If you think of more stuff to ask the nurse after your first visit then just book another appointment. My truth is that this forum is much more use than my local db team. There are no silly or stupid questions around here so just shout and someone is likely to kmnow. M

maxie

Thanks so much for your replies, really helpful. I will let you know when I have seen Nurse.
Is a monitor and strips really essential and if my local docs dont prescribe where is best place
to get them. questions, quesions !!!!!! sorrry, ......

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
maxie said:
Thanks so much for your replies, really helpful. I will let you know when I have seen Nurse.
Is a monitor and strips really essential and if my local docs dont prescribe where is best place
to get them. questions, quesions !!!!!! sorrry, ......

Crucial that you have them both! ask your Doc first, he may well prescribe both. If not, you can buy meters at your local chemist and if you search this forum you can get advice on how to buy strips. Try not to take no for an answer with your Doc though, some will cave in if you pile the pressure on! Some are nice and give in straight away but others needs a bit more convincing :mrgreen:

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
Maxie
Demand nicely that they prescibe and quote NICE guidelines at them (CAN SOMEONE PROVIDE MAXIE THE LINK?).
If they refuse at least save the money on the machine by getting your nurse to give you one of the free ones that the medical reps have left with her or ring one of the manufacturers direct who will provide for free (along with new batteries and test fluid - Abbot does anyway).
Hope that helps. M

A

Anonymous

justfoundout said:
Maxie
Demand nicely that they prescibe and quote NICE guidelines at them (CAN SOMEONE PROVIDE MAXIE THE LINK?).
If they refuse at least save the money on the machine by getting your nurse to give you one of the free ones that the medical reps have left with her or ring one of the manufacturers direct who will provide for free (along with new batteries and test fluid - Abbot does anyway).
Hope that helps. M

Erm. I suggest that you GOOGLE for the guidelines just as the hard working moderators on here probably do instead of shouting at someone else to do it.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I recommend you ask for the printout of your blood tests, ask about anything flagged hi or lo, & keep them to compare as the years go by.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Maxie and welcome :)

I was left ages before I saw anyone and even then was given no advice except the wrong 'eat plenty of starchy carbs' kind and still had to wait nearly 3 months before I got to the hospital clinic. By that time I had received so much support and helpful advice from the members of this site that my clinic visit was almost (but not totally :roll: ) superfluous. I did work pretty hard on it all and am intent on keeping off meds if at all possible. 8)

Recently I had surgery and my BG levels were a bit shot for a while but I have managed to get back on track by just keeping on with the low carbing. It takes time to get a handle on this T2 condition but just keep patiently plodding on and you will get there. :D