Feeling really down about it all

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it’s still early days I was told 5 weeks ago I was LADA. Finally saw my first diabetes person yesterday. She was good with proper information. But feeling a bit low about it. I asked about average of people going on insulin. She said it averages about 9 years but also said she guesstimate that I’ll be fully insulin dependent within 2 years but if I’m ill or stressed can bring it on sooner. Hard to deal with really. How long will t take to move on from this feeling?

Reactions: Freema

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How did you find out you were T1.5?

What’s your blood glucose levels like?

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it’s still early days I was told 5 weeks ago I was LADA. Finally saw my first diabetes person yesterday. She was good with proper information. But feeling a bit low about it. I asked about average of people going on insulin. She said it averages about 9 years but also said she guesstimate that I’ll be fully insulin dependent within 2 years but if I’m ill or stressed can bring it on sooner. Hard to deal with really. How long will t take to move on from this feeling?
There's nothing you can do it beyond your control. What will be will be. Just keep a close eye on your bgs and starting insulin earlier rather than later maybe preserve beta cell function a little longer.

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How did you find out you were T1.5?

What’s your blood glucose levels like?

I had a glucose test was high then was sent for the HbA1c test (think that was the one) and that was double was it’s suppose to be. Was originally told type 2 but it changed after this other test. Fasting levels were at 14.7. Now with tablets they are between 4-6mmol

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please don’t despair.

There are so many T2s who were misdiagnosed and were actually T1.5 (LADA).

You will find so many good people in this forum to provide help, support, advice, guidance etc.

Will tag my mate Pete to help you...

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had gestational diabetes and on my yearly glucose check it was found

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was the glucose check the routine full blood and urine test?

Just curious to know.

cageyytigers

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really interesting- 9 years....I was told it would be more like 6 months. I have an appt with diabetes nurse today which I am dreading. Also am really struggling with accepting my situation. I have achieved really good control of my sugar through low carbing- not getting any support with continuing on this path- feel like I am being railroaded into insulin.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Please don’t despair.

There are so many T2s who were misdiagnosed and were actually T1.5 (LADA).

You will find so many good people in this forum to provide help, support, advice, guidance etc.

Will tag my mate Pete to help you...
I think diagnosing diabetes accurately is a fine art that seems, from what I've read, difficult.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I really do sympathise. It's hard for our heads to get to grips with radical information and know I did and am doing. It's a bit like grief really but it does get easier to deal with. Don't worry about the appointment today, they are there to help. Just write down all the things you're concerned about and ask away. Let us know how you get on.:)
Here's a virtual hug to keep you going.......

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it took around 7 years from diagnosis at age 60 to get to the point where insulin was needed. Before that my tablets were gradually increased until the full 'set' no longer kept my BS under control without having virtually no carbs. As long as the tablets work and you can still have a sensible low-carb diet then you will be OK. When you start to struggle with control then do ensure you move on to insulin. Insulin is not a problem; just a nuisance. It works well and on Basal/Bolus (two insulins) gives far better control than tablets. Moving to insulin was salvation for me as my GP had refused it initially. The honeymoon period varies greatly for each of us but an HBA1C over approx 7.5% is an indicator that insulin is needed.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
For me it took around 7 years from diagnosis at age 60 to get to the point where insulin was needed. Before that my tablets were gradually increased until the full 'set' no longer kept my BS under control without having virtually no carbs. As long as the tablets work and you can still have a sensible low-carb diet then you will be OK. When you start to struggle with control then do ensure you move on to insulin. Insulin is not a problem; just a nuisance. It works well and on Basal/Bolus (two insulins) gives far better control than tablets. Moving to insulin was salvation for me as my GP had refused it initially. The honeymoon period varies greatly for each of us but an HBA1C over approx 7.5% is an indicator that insulin is needed.
Very interesting post. Can I just ask, did your HbA1c gradually rise over a period or did you get one reading over 7.5 and you were put on insulin?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
There's nothing you can do it beyond your control. What will be will be. Just keep a close eye on your bgs and starting insulin earlier rather than later maybe preserve beta cell function a little longer.
It's true the beta cells are preserved longer by taking insulin but it makes you fat if their diagnosis is incorrect. I know that HbA1c over 6.5%/47 is the diagnosis for diabetes but if a GAD and c-peptide test haven't been carried out they're guessing at which type of diabetes and how much insulin to start you on. I was put on insulin day 2 and don't agree with it

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why do people think insulin makes you fat? I got put on it last year on diagnosis and still haven't regained the weight I lost with DKA.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I was diagnosed Lada just over 4 years ago, been on insulin for last 2 years. Not put on any weight since being on insulin.
Dr Bernstein and many others believe the key to a long honeymoon is keeping your blood sugar levels low, eg. 4.8 prior to meals and 5.8 at 2 hours after meals, which probably can only be done if very low carbing. I have been trying to follow this for over 4 years now. I could have extended the insulin free period if i had continued very high exercising (now only moderate exercising) and if i wasn't so keen on keeping to the 4.8 / 5.8 guidelines. I now take around 6 units of insulin before each meal, its simple no big issue. If i go out for a meal I often don't bother with insulin until i get home, then correct accordingly.
It really is no big deal going on insulin, so nothing to worry about. I think checking bloods is probably harder / more time consuming than taking insulin.

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi spage I'm a newbie myself, was diagnosed T2 through routine blood tests and told to diet, had hypra episode 2nd Jan and was in hosp for 4 days and put on insulin straight away. Took approx 2-3wks from release to keep levels below 10, so felt managing well then saw consultant last week who tells me, I've got LADA...like you found it distressing and life is full on getting used to it, but determined to keep chin up and embrace this new change of lifestyle...try not to be down, there is some good advice given, I've learnt loads from joining 2 days ago and should you need further support from one newbie to another send a message

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi spage I'm a newbie myself, was diagnosed T2 through routine blood tests and told to diet, had hypra episode 2nd Jan and was in hosp for 4 days and put on insulin straight away. Took approx 2-3wks from release to keep levels below 10, so felt managing well then saw consultant last week who tells me, I've got LADA...like you found it distressing and life is full on getting used to it, but determined to keep chin up and embrace this new change of lifestyle...try not to be down, there is some good advice given, I've learnt loads from joining 2 days ago and should you need further support from one newbie to another send a message

Hiya Mags thanks for this message I just replied to one of your posts haha. Since then I’ve been better as finally saw someone that knows about our type of diabetes and been put on the right path. Atm I’m not on insulin but it’s on the horizon. Hope your feeling better after hospital visit. Where about a are you eg in the uk?

Reactions: Mags H

ElaineLindsay

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hhjkjb