1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Feeling sleepy after eating sugary items?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by sunlilac01, Oct 22, 2020.

1. sunlilac01

sunlilac01 · Newbie

Hi all,

I'm going through bit of a difficult time. Feeling bit down from my symptoms. So any help is appreciated.

I've recently noticed when i eat sugary food or the following items Rice, Potatoes, Coke.

My vision gets blurry. And on some occasions i feel so sleepy that i cant even keep my eyes open and need to rest.

If i eat a sugary dessert i sometimes have to urinate all night.

I have asked my GP, If he can test me for diabetes but said i was last tested in august 2020 and i am ok.

My mum is also diabetic type 2.

What to do? Could it be another condition that resembles diabetes?

2. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

One suggestion is to go to your local pharmacy and ask them to do a blood glucose test.
    However, if your blood panel results in August are normal, then it is probably okay.

Many people get what is commonly called a sugar crash after eating.
    And yes there are many metabolic condition that have normal hba1c!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

With respect, if you are worried then why not cut down on the foods that affect you?

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It could be reactive hypoglycemia. Blood glucose drops after consuming carbs. It can be a precursor to T2 diabetes. I would get a blood glucose monitor and test when not feeling well after eating carbs. If blood glucose falls below 4, it could be causing those feelings and you need to get it medically checked out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Goma5

Goma5 Type 1 · Active Member

does your mum have a blood glucose meter? If so you could test your levels on that to put your mind at ease. I think the hereditary link is lesser to other risk factors so don’t let it worry you too much but definitely find a way to test.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook