Feeling thirsty on low carb diet

Skinny43

After diagnosed with prediabetes, I started to gradually cut down on my carbs. Then I learned that there is the lchf diet and started to increase my fat intake with increasing chicken, fish, avocado and nuts etc. I’d say I’ve been on something in the line of low carb high fat for 2-3 days now.

This afternoon I started to feel really thirsty, which is unusual for me as I normally struggle to remember to drink. Always been guilty of not drinking enough. However this afternoon I must have had 3-4 cups of water and it doesn’t seem to quench the thirst.

Has my diabetes been made worse, as thirst is one of the key diabetes symptoms? I’m not convinced as my sugar level was normal or lower than usual before the diet change. Can someone shed some light please?

Also another I’m noting is that I don’t constantly feel cold any more. That’s a very welcomed change as I normally always feel freezing - in the office and at home. I just feel there’s warmth in my body now :) - nice feeling! Has anybody had similar experience?

Thanks a lot.
Ruiyan

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect (and hope) that you are going into ketosis.
You are feeling warm, breaking down the fat means more energy, so you are processing more water, and your body is giving you a poke to remind you that you do require water to be running well, getting rid of toxins for instance, which could also be coming from the breaking down of fat and the excretion of ketones.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As well as drinking lots of water add additional salt to your food, as our bodies lose more salt when we go very low carb. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/flu-side-effects

If you don't stop feeling thirsty in a few days get your BG tested unless you have your own meter, as there is a very small chance of type1 diabetes. However the timing makes me think it is your body adjusting to a low-carb diet.

Skinny43

Oh just googled ketosis (so much to learn!). Seems quite exciting and a bit scary if I’m honest! If it’s true this is a good thing then?

I definitely figured out the feeling warm is good but wasn’t sure about the thirst. Do you think the thirst will go away or I just need to establish a new (and good) habit of drinking more water?

I didn’t mean or know anything about ketosis but could have land on it by accident. Well not really an accident as I was trying with low carb and more fat anyway. I guess I was doing the same thing just didn’t know it’s proper name.
I weighed myself again today and have lost 2kgs since starting to reduce carbs (not necessarily on LCHF). Also waist size is an inch smaller.

I don’t want to lose more weight (don’t mind the waist reduction though:). So I’ll try eat more fat and protein then for the calories. Is this the right way to go?

Thanks again.
I’m

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes indeed - yet another great thing about this way of eating is that you get to eat the good stuff without worrying about your size.
I have not seen all that much weightloss recently, but my size has gone down and down - I used to be XXL and now I can get into an M for a lot of things!!
Oh - watch out for your clothes sliding south - a couple of times I had things just drop to the floor - fortunately when at home. I have braces on a few things now.

Skinny43

As well as drinking lots of water add additional salt to your food, as our bodies lose more salt when we go very low carb. See https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/flu-side-effects

If you don't stop feeling thirsty in a few days get your BG tested unless you have your own meter, as there is a very small chance of type1 diabetes. However the timing makes me think it is your body adjusting to a low-carb diet.

Thank you! I thought salt was bad so I’ve been eating low salt as well. Just read about increasing salt when on low carb after your advice.

Is this only for initial period when I’m adjusting or for as long as I’m on low carb? Btw I love salty food but feel guilty about it so have been restraining myself since trying to eat healthy .

I do have a meter at home so have been monitoring glucose ( mainly after meal). It’s in the range of 6-7 if I’m on low carbs. If I ate my normal amount of carbs (which is scary btw) it would be over 9 for 2 hour postmeal.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also try resistance training as if we don't use our muscles, our body does not think they are important enough to preserve. Resistance training is no more then making your muscles work hard for a short time with a few days between for, them to recover. (For some people that is just standing up, or other people it is the leg press as the gym on max setting.)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do have a meter at home so have been monitoring glucose ( mainly after meal). It’s in the range of 6-7 if I’m on low carbs. If I ate my normal amount of carbs (which is scary btw) it would be over 9 for 2 hour postmeal

BG has to be over about 10 for some time before it results your our kidneys losing more water and making as thirsty. Your BG reading gives me no short term concern and long term lowcarb will reduce them.

Reactions: Skinny43

Skinny43

Yes indeed - yet another great thing about this way of eating is that you get to eat the good stuff without worrying about your size.
I have not seen all that much weightloss recently, but my size has gone down and down - I used to be XXL and now I can get into an M for a lot of things!!
Oh - watch out for your clothes sliding south - a couple of times I had things just drop to the floor - fortunately when at home. I have braces on a few things now.

Hahaha that’s amusing. Well done to your sizing reduction - more excuses to buy new clothes?

Skinny43

BG has to be over about 10 for some time before it results your our kidneys losing more water and making as thirsty. Your BG reading gives me no short term concern and long term lowcarb will reduce them.

Excellent! I don’t need to worry then. In fact should be happy the diet is working. Thank you for reassuring me.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you! I thought salt was bad so I’ve been eating low salt as well. Just read about increasing salt when on low carb after your advice.

Is this only for initial period when I’m adjusting or for as long as I’m on low carb? Btw I love salty food but feel guilty about it so have been restraining myself since trying to eat healthy

It is mostly the initial period you need to think about adding salt, partly due to it becoming automatic and partly due to your body adjusting. Remember that switching to low carb food is likely to have reduce your salt intake as ready meals etc have much more salt then most people add to home cooking.

Some people find home made bone broth with a little added salt is good, along with salting their food to taste.

Have a look at the other sections of the page on dietdoctor.com for addational issues you may need to consider.

Skinny43

Also try resistance training as if we don't use our muscles, our body does not think they are important enough to preserve. Resistance training is no more then making your muscles work hard for a short time with a few days between for, them to recover. (For some people that is just standing up, or other people it is the leg press as the gym on max setting.)

I like doing the 7 mins workout challenge at home as I haven’t got time to go the gym with a still breastfeeding toddler! That’s just a combination of press-ups, sit-ups, squats, plank etc. I seem to read somewhere these are also classified as resistance training - using your own weight other than dumbbells. Is this correct?
Thanks!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I like doing the 7 mins workout challenge at home as I haven’t got time to go the gym with a still breastfeeding toddler! That’s just a combination of press-ups, sit-ups, squats, plank etc

That great, try to work at is as hard as your body will let you, then give you body a few days (maybe as much as 10 days) to recover before repeating.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you taking a meds to reduce blood pressure? If so get your BP checked carefully as they may reducing.

I am assuming you not taking any meds (other then maybe metformin) for diabetes.

Skinny43

Are you taking a meds to reduce blood pressure? If so get your BP checked carefully as they may reducing.

I am assuming you not taking any meds (other then maybe metformin) for diabetes.

No I’m not taking anything for diabetes as I’m only newly diagnosed with prediabetes. The nurse will retest in March to see whether I need any met for mind (I’m hoping I won’t by then!)

Blood pressure has always been low for me ( inherited low blood pressure from my dad). Do I need to worry it dropping further then? I shall check BP as I have a BP monitor at home.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Blood pressure has always been low for me ( inherited low blood pressure from my dad). Do I need to worry it dropping further then? I shall check BP as I have a BP monitor at home

Keeping sodium, magnesium and potassium high enough may be important for you, the standard NHS blood tests will only tell you if they are very low as the body adjusts how much water is in the blood if they are a little low. The reduction in blood volume this leads to is one possible reason for low BP, but there are other reasons your GP can investigate if it becomes an issue.

Hence I think a magnesium supplement along with making an effort to use a lot of salt and "lo salt" (for potassium) would be wise. (Modern farming methods results in lower levels of magnesium in our food.)

Skinny43

Keeping sodium, magnesium and potassium high enough may be important for you, the standard NHS blood tests will only tell you if they are very low as the body adjusts how much water is in the blood if they are a little low. The reduction in blood volume this leads to is one possible reason for low BP, but there are other reasons your GP can investigate if it becomes an issue.

Hence I think a magnesium supplement along with making an effort to use a lot of salt and "lo salt" (for potassium) would be wise. (Modern farming methods results in lower levels of magnesium in our food.)

Just checked it’s 99/65 I think it’s fine. It used to go to 90/60 so it’s not getting worse. Good idea for salt and Lo-salt though. I won’t be too strict on myself then when I fancy some salted peanuts.

Thank you for being so helpful and thorough!
Ruiyan