Type 2 Feeling Useless

Baba7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Friends
I am Alex living with T2 and would like to know if anyone has the same feeling. I have lost my zest for life and has lost interest in everything.
Thanks for listening. God bless.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling great. Do you have support in real life? Have you seen a doctor to discuss whether you may have depression and need help?

Is it the diabetes or is the diabetes a contributing factor? If it is the reason you are feeling useless- is that because you haven't got it controlled or some other reason.

I admit that diabetes has not added to my life- I dislike the restrictions it puts on what I can eat- but it doesn't completely define me.

Tell us some more about how you are feeling- I always find that when I have a chance to vent here it helps me to get out of my own little bit of despair and carry on.

Good luck and let us know how we could help.

Reactions: zand

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i agree fully with @VashtiB

I been a T2D for 10 years. Is having difficulty in sleeping a diabetic issue or is it the medication.

so long enough to have got used to the idea of T2, or are you now trying to moderate your diet to help
with the diabetes..(aka as NOT eating the eat well plate ?)

i found the worry of T2 complications kept me awake some nights .
i then found that general anxiety, ( that i believe came for my T2 DX ) would cause me some issues.
though it may go deeper, is it possible it is just the shock and worry of what TYPE 2 actually means to YOU.
especially after so many years if your now trying to manage it in a different way

is it normal to be so worried we lose that zest for the day ahead, lose interest in what we did..perhaps.

well it was how i felt early days.
unsurprising really, all my thoughts were concentrated on stopping the damage food was doing to me,
and all while starving, befuddled & weak

as i managed the PHYSICAL part of MY T2 with the help and guidance of many on here

on the mental side it became more apparent i had some unresolved issues.

for help i eventually sought some counselling, and in my journey i found this ..

it's OK to be OK
it's also
OK to NOT be OK.

I hope a good look at what lies behind your problems & worries, will help focus you on what ARE the real issues.
because once there, then you can take steps to move forward and find the help you need.

Best wishes for the Journey @Baba7

Reactions: VashtiB and zand

Baba7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi jjraak
Thank you for sharing. I am trying to change the way I eat and also worry about the complications it can cause.
Thanks again for your sharing.
God bless.

so long enough to have got used to the idea of T2, or are you now trying to moderate your diet to help

i then found that general anxiety, ( that i believe came for my T2 DX ) would cause me some issues.
though it may go deeper, is it possible it is just the shock and worry of what TYPE 2 actually means to YOU.
especially after so many years if your now trying to manage it in a different way

is it normal to be so worried we lose that zest for the day ahead, lose interest in what we did..perhaps.

unsurprising really, all my thoughts were concentrated on stopping the damage food was doing to me,

as i managed the PHYSICAL part of MY T2 with the help and guidance of many on here

for help i eventually sought some counselling, and in my journey i found this ..

it's OK to be OK
it's also
OK to NOT be OK.

I hope a good look at what lies behind your problems & worries, will help focus you on what ARE the real issues.
because once there, then you can take steps to move forward and find the help you need.

it's OK to be OK
it's also
OK to NOT be OK.

Reactions: jjraak

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Friends
I am Alex living with T2 and would like to know if anyone has the same feeling. I have lost my zest for life and has lost interest in everything.
Thanks for listening. God bless.
Hey @Baba7 ,

Sorry you're feeling this way. You've been a T2 for quite a while, I understand... And I am wondering how your blood sugars fare. After all, if they're up all the time, they can and do feed into negative emotions... Depression can be caused by or worsened with high readings. The sugar messes with our brains, all too literally. I have been clinically depressed all my life, but never was I so bad off as when my blood sugars were uncontrolled. And then, yeah, I lost all zest for life, as you call it, as well as all hope. Things got pretty bleak. So should the levels be an ongoing issue, you might want to look into those: if they improve, through diet and/or medication, you can feel a whole lot better and there is some hope to be gained there. (https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html)

At the same time... There is no shame in getting help. I know I'd pretty much give my right arm if I could take anti-depressants, but due to co-morbidities and side effects, I can't: I have to hang in there any which way I can. I do know the immense difference they can make for people though, like my husband, who needed them for a little while to get his feet back under him after a burn-out, or my mom, who'll be on varying doses for life. And it IS a life, now. It is worth it to give it a try. Nothing to lose, right?

You can get through this. Believe it or not. I'm still here, which is nothing short of a miracle. You can do the same.

*hugs*
Jo

Baba7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone for your kind advice and concern.
Will try all the advice.

Warm regards and God bless.

Reactions: jjraak