Feeling Very Low

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. It's not the insulin that causes weight gain but the carbs that it enables the body to metabolise. If you gain weight when on insulin then you may well need to reduce the carbs. Note that many T2s with excess weight will already have a high level of insulin due to insulin resistance. Taking insulin may well just be adding to that so may not be very effective. A c-peptide test will help show whether the natural insulin level is high or low. If high then it is important to get the weight and hence insulin resistance down before adding more insulin. Lowering the carbs may well be the best way to do that.
When I had a c peptide test the instructions were to take the sample two hours after your biggest meal of the day. It didn’t say anything else. Mine came back normal but would it have been different after a carby meal rather than the very low carb one I ate? No one seems to know. Thanks

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I have 30g of carbs per day. A low carb diet is considered to be anything lower than about 130g per day. I could go lower than 30g but I am comfortable at that level, my bg is good and I feel that my quality of life is good. I choose foods that are low in carbs but nutrient dense.

I think I might try it a bit more hardline. I cut my portions down but my food still consists of carbs. I used to eat, for example a full bowl of cereal but now I have 30g of cereal which is 25g carbs, I eat only 55grams wholewheat cooked pasta if and when I eat pasta, which is 20g carbs, same for bread, each slice is 8g carbs, but im wondering wether I should try an official LCHF diet. I mean really, I still eat around 150g carbs daily. You haven't got to type anything out, do you have any helpful links that you use? I wouldn't know what to eat as a substitute. Thankyou

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think I might try it a bit more hardline. I cut my portions down but my food still consists of carbs. I used to eat, for example a full bowl of cereal but now I have 30g of cereal which is 25g carbs, I eat only 55grams wholewheat cooked pasta if and when I eat pasta, which is 20g carbs, same for bread, each slice is 8g carbs, but im wondering wether I should try an official LCHF diet. I mean really, I still eat around 150g carbs daily. You haven't got to type anything out, do you have any helpful links that you use? I wouldn't know what to eat as a substitute. Thankyou

I am T2 (not on insulin) but @Mel dCP would, I'm sure help you out. There is also a FaceBook group called TYPEONEGRIT that is said to be quite popular. You might like to have a wander around the low carb section of this forum which is in the Food and Nutrition section. Good luck.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The TYPEONEGRIT group is fantastic, it’s for followers of Dr Bernstein’s low carb <30g a day protocol. They also have a page here: https://www.facebook.com/Type1Grit

The dietdoctor.com and ruled.me sites are very good, and have many, many recipes for low carb food and substitutes (maybe also take a look at my links to my own page and blog in my sig ;) )

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. It's not the insulin that causes weight gain but the carbs that it enables the body to metabolise.

Thanks Daibell for clarifying this. I didn't put it very well at all, did I? I didn't want the original poster to get the impression that treating Type 2 with Insulin wouldn't be the easy answer, esecially as weight was an issue already.

Many thanks :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents, could we please focus on the OP on this thread? For other topics and other folks, please feel free to have new threads.

Many thanks.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I might try it a bit more hardline.
Dr Bernstein is the (Grand)daddy of hardline! Have a look at his "Laws of Small Numbers"
http://www.diabetes-book.com/laws-small-numbers/
Then there are his "No no" foods: http://www.diabetes-book.com/no-no-foods/
and his list of what there is left to eat: http://www.diabetes-book.com/whats-left-to-eat/
Dr B is T1 since the age of 11 and a great advertisement for his low carb (30g carb daily) system. He is now 84 and still seeing patients as a diabetes doctor.
At the other end of the age spectrum is T1 Adam Brown from Diatribe. You can download his cheerful free E-Book here: https://brightspotsandlandmines.org
You can also follow his column and find lots of other useful info. on the Diatribe site:
https://diatribe.org/search/advanced/?f[0]=im_field_section_name:294
Good luck!

Reactions: Dixon1995

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to eat, for example a full bowl of cereal but now I have 30g of cereal which is 25g carbs
Some recent research showed that a bowl of cereal plus milk hugely raises the bg of even normal healthy non-diabetics!!!

Reactions: Dixon1995

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ladies and gents, could we please focus on the OP on this thread? For other topics and other folks, please feel free to have new threads.

Many thanks.

Yes I do apologise I realised after posting I did hijack the thread its only because I seen LCHF mentioned on the previous page, thankyou, thankyou also to everyone

Reactions: DCUKMod

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For a sweet tooth maybe try a 10 cal jelly pot with blob of extra thick double cream with a grated square or 2 of 70% plus dark choc
Agreed! I particularly like the Blackcurrant and the mango jelly pots with double cream. I am now also a devotee of 100% cocoa chocolate. Hotel Chocolat sells it in the convenient form of chocolate drops (only 10.4g carbs per 100g), making it much easier to eat just a little at a time rather than having to break up a bar of chocolate. 100% chocolate has a strong, strange taste but is very satisfying. I can usually find discount coupons for Hotel Chocolat online, and last time I bought from them they gave me a 15% off voucher. https://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/100-dark-chocolate-drops.html

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The dietdoctor.com and ruled.me sites are very good, and have many, many recipes for low carb food and substitutes (maybe also take a look at my links to my own page and blog in my sig ;) )
I can confirm that the photos on @Mel dCP's blog are mind-blowing. Not to be looked at when hungry!

Reactions: Flora123

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear OP, don't despair! Like you, I would never in a million years have believed it was possible to be free of the constant sweet cravings and pre-occupation with food that has been with me for all of my overweight life. Now at age 62 and 6 months into a low carb diet, I am healthier than I have been for years, weigh 30 lbs lessthan a year ago and am almost entirely free from food cravings. It is such a relief. I got a lot of inspiration from Dr Jason Fung's books and website and this forum as well as my family and my doctor. Everyone is different and has different views on healthy diet but this approach really worked for me: It takes time to break habits so be really gentle on yourself. At first, treat yourself with really great food-cheese, olives or deli meats, a wee dram of fabulous single malt scotch now & then, beautiful salads with interesting ingredients- splurge on really great salad oils and low carb dips for raw vegetables. Keep it interesting and flavourful! Non food splurges help as well- a new book, massage, bath oils etc. Spend a little money and time on yourself because you are worth it! I have eaten barely any bread, no potatoes or sugar in 6 months and haven't felt deprived at all. So many others can relate to your feelings of despair as we have been/are still there ourselves. What ever path you take, I wish you well on your journey.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Hello.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 18 months ago. To be honest I haven't taken it very seriously and have recently been put on metformin. I also have medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Yesterday I had a phone call appointment with my GP and I found out I have elevated liver function tests so will need further tests including a liver scan. He asked me was I overweight. I am easily 4 to 5 stones overweight. I have struggled with my weight all of my life. I know what I should and shouldn't eat but just cannot stick to a healthy diet. I feel very low. And sad. And find it hard to see a happy future where I cannot eat the things I want.

Hi - sorry to hear you are feeling low, but not surprised because a T2 diagnosis is hard to take. This has been a fiery debate which maybe doesn't help but does at least show that you have a choice:
1. sort out your diet, or
2. try to outrun your insulin resistance with more insulin
To be fair, even the person recommending the meds route is saying dietary moderation is required.
A lot of the things you like and don't want to give up are addictive. Addiction is hard to deal with so take it step by step.
Start though by recognising that this is a serious condition that could cost you your sight, feet or life. Put whatever foods you give up in that context.
Lots of diabetics don't go LCHF, often because they don't know better, or are incorrectly told that LCHF is dangerous (it isn't).
But then lots of diabetics end up with serious complications when the meds can't hold back the tide anymore.
My suggestion is make a plan for a few days that cuts out the carbs. Make a long list of the low carb foods you do like. Seek out some low carb pudding options - there are some great recipes to keep your sweet tooth satisfied.
Then make a plan for the next few days. Step by step.
Keep coming back to the site for guidance.
To declare my hand, I spent a couple of weeks carefully researching my options, then I went for LCHF: I'm very happy with my choice and gradually my bread addiction has waned - I don't miss it anymore. Somewhere here has claimed that LCHF is unhealthy but hasn't provided any evidence for that statement - It isn't: it has done wonders for me and my health.
Take care and good luck.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I agree there is more than one approach and it’s good to get all the facts I’d like to make a few points to this reply. Comments embedded in quote

Another way is to add medication. There are people who spend their lives fighting to avoid medication. Some successfully, some not. (didn't work for me). There is nothing scary about it, but pill popping becomes a bit tedious after a while.
And if all else fails, there is insulin, which is not as scary as it sounds. I moved on insulin and while the first month or two were hectic and difficult, once I gained the knowledge and achieved some organisation, everything went to normal.

Isn’t this the way it’s been dealt with for years earning diabetes the progressive disease label? Ie it gets worse over time with this approach.

Yes medicines help, yes there’s a place for them but it will never be as good as the body working properly without meds. It isn’t normal. It has side effects. It’s not perfect. For some there are no other options and it’s their best option. For many people there are better options to reduce or eliminate meds. Weight loss, exercise and avoiding triggers (yes carbs).

. However, this is on the expense of eating a healthy balanced diet, recommended by nutritionists. It also has to become your life long diet as you will have to maintain the reversal of the diabetes. Otherwise, going back to your usual eating habits will undo the good work.

Nutritionist know only what they’ve been taught. Guess what they’re taught? Stopping any form of treatment will result in a relapse. Treatment can be meds or food intake.

..... that will allow you to eat if not all the time, the things you like. It is to take insulin. Basically, you replace the ineffective insulin with injected insulin and try to mimic the action of the natural body insulin.

See above. I liken it to an allergy to carbs. Eating them makes me sick. Not eating them improves my health. (I know it’s no training an allergy but net result is the same)

You will need to have a frank discussion with your doctor.

And as this forum shows that can vary enormously from dr to dr

Each approach has its plus and minuses.

Very true. Nothing is perfect and easy and suitable for all.

Last edited:

Geoffno6

Thank god I found this forum before this was presented to me on a DESMOND course.

Ooh errr, you’ve reminded me that I’ve got a, I think it’s called ‘Derrick’ course soon. I’m going to go but with low expectations. I guess Del’ is a friend of Des’

Reactions: xfieldok

Geoffno6

A very big thank you to everyone that took the time to offer me advice and support. I have now committed to taking responsibility for my health I'm the only one that can do it. I can't blame anyone else.

Well done @Shelly47 , it probably is the only way. If it hasn’t been said already, I’d definitely recommend testing BG before eating and again 2 or some say 3 hours after, to find what pushes up your BG, then avoid the foods your body can’t handle. Good luck!