Feet trouble

lindeyhm

Im messaging on behlf of my father in law. He is 77, he has type 2 diabetes and is on tablets. His younger brother had it too and ended up losing his leg and he has had terrible trouble with his feet too. He has been to numerous doctors and clinics, all theyve done is give him creams which dont work. I feel like he is being fobbed off, he was so active before, now he can hardly walk and lives alone and is struggling with the stairs.
Its mainly his toes, he gets a lot of pain and redness and swelling, does anyone have any advice?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

What are his blood sugar levels like? Most recent hba1c? If his issues are diabetic complications due to overly high blood sugars then the solution is to reduce his blood sugar levels to as near normal as possible, leading to the final question

What is his diet like?

If the issue is high blood sugar then reducing carbs is the easiest way to fix this, but he may need to be careful of hypos if he is on hypo inducing medication, so talk to his diabetic nurse.

Good luck.

ps here's a really useful link about T2 and diet by @JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek's blog | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im messaging on behlf of my father in law. He is 77, he has type 2 diabetes and is on tablets. His younger brother had it too and ended up losing his leg and he has had terrible trouble with his feet too. He has been to numerous doctors and clinics, all theyve done is give him creams which dont work. I feel like he is being fobbed off, he was so active before, now he can hardly walk and lives alone and is struggling with the stairs.
Its mainly his toes, he gets a lot of pain and redness and swelling, does anyone have any advice?
In addition: if he has diabetic neuropathy, he could be put on amytriptiline, -doc would have to prescribe it- which is an antidepressant that also helps with nerve pain (lovely when side effects turn out to be useful ones!) and maybe get some vitamin B12 going to help repair his nerve-endings. If he's on metformin, which most T2's are put on, he could become severely B12 deficient, and that can really, really seriously mess with his feet/nerves. Might want to test for deficiency, but just as easy to get a supplement going and seeing whether it makes a difference after a few weeks, should he be reluctant to get a blood draw done due to covid concerns.