Fellow Diabetic BB King Dies

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
A sad loss indeed.

I didn't know he was diabetic.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Oh that is sad news, but he will always be remembered as one of the greats. RIP BB KIng x

Reactions: 4 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
A sad loss indeed.

I didn't know he was diabetic.

Here is a simplistic look at his diabetic story http://www.diabeteshealth.com/uncategorized/how-b-b-king-avoids-the-diabetes-blues/

I believe he was a campaigner for bg testing to the extent that he made several TV adverts for the Ultra One Touch meter (im sure he didnt need the money) he says he tried to avoid simple carbs as much as possible and was diabetic for many, many years, 25 plus... I couldnt find out the year he was first diagnosed but most sourses say 25 years but I dont know when they were published so it could have been more.

He lived a remarkably active life, playing and touring up till the end of his life.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It is very sad news and was quite surprised he was 89.

Fantastic blues guitarist who's music and memory will live on for generations to come.

Reactions: 6 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Legend, will miss him, love his blues, he will always be the KING of the blues.

Reactions: 3 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the greats. A legend in his own time. So Infulental.

C

catherinecherub

An article in the New York Times tells about his early life, his career and his illness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/16/arts/music/b-b-king-blues-singer-dies-at-89.html?_r=0

John Fudenberg, the coroner of Clark County, Nev., said the cause was a series of small strokes attributable to Type 2 diabetes, The Associated Press reported. Mr. King, who was in hospice care, had been in poor health but had continued to perform until October, when he canceled a tour, citing dehydration and exhaustion stemming from the diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people