Fergus Bread

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made my first loaf recently.

Looked lovely, not too heavy, no big air pockets, kept well.

Trouble is, it tasted awful. I used flax seeds instead of linseeds but I thought these were the same. It's the only thing I can think of that's different.

Help?

wiflib

saz1

I found the bread tasted pretty much like wheat bran and it is ok for me but not to anyone else who tasted it... I am going to try and change some of the quantities like half the wheatbran, add some ground almonds and increase the soya flour. I am also going to try hemp seeds instead of the linseeds so I'm hopin for a slightly lighter loaf amd more standard bread taste. I havent figured out the carbs yet but expect them to be a little higher but not much.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I used some oatbran in my latest loaf. I have made 4 so far and enjoyed them.

philg

My second attempt at Fergus's bread is in the oven as I write. The first one, baked on Sunday (today's Tuesday), has almost gone and I loved it. It has a nice flavour and the only change I have made to the second loaf is to knead it a little longer to try to get more air into it. I proved the loaf twice, on advice from an experienced baker, and the loaf was quite light but I feel it can be lighter. The effect on my BG has been great as I can snack on this bread with pate or cheese and experience no increase in BG without any extra insulin. Well done Fergus!! 8) 8) 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have tried a couple more variations on the bread and all worked fine. I added a few caraway seeds for flavour. And I used live yeast, or got the dried yeast working before using it. I also proved and kneeded twice. I doubled the ingredients and made bigger loaves. I started the baking 10 minutes in a HOT oven 220. I asked my Mum for advice, whe's been baking for about 85 years

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
hello everybody could anyone help i have been on meterformin for three wks now and am really missing bread could anyone be so kind as to provide the ingreadients for this bread as i cannot find the ingredients anywere thankyou

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Here you go, carlos

Fergus said:
This is a low carb bread I make once or twice a week. I hadn't eaten bread for some time until I figured this out, but now it's in danger of becoming a staple. There goes my reputation.

Sorry everyone, I have to remove the recipe from the forum for now. Fergus

I find this loaf will stay fresh and moist for days, and everyone who has tried it tells me it's great. Even my kids scoff it down, which gives me such a thrill. It works out at around 30g carbohydrate for the entire loaf.

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Hi to all...

Ive been reading ALL your messages about this bread.

I made my 1st one last night and sorry to say, it was terrible! It was so hard, dry and not nice.
Ive read some of your suggestions to replace, add or change some ingredients, so its up to me to mess around and find what I like.

I honestly thought I was doing something wrong? When I mixed everything together, it was all dry and wouldnt "knead" together??'....oh dear!!

How I wish my granny was still alive to help me now!! She was the BEST at baking...ANYTHING!! Bless her.....:):)

Ok so must keep on trying and I will find what I like hey...
thanks
Ursula

Attachments

• Fergus bread.JPG
    Fergus bread.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 796