Fiasp Insulin when is it available?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Supposed to hit UK wholesalers on March 10th.
thanks Tim, I know you normally test things out, do you intend to try it?

Its a new faster (supposedly) acting insulin that's not yet released.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A quick Google suggests its Novorapid with 2 extra ingredients, which will help it absorb quicker and therefore earlier action...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Engineer88 as soon as it got EMA Marketing approval I was on to my DSN about getting it as soon as it was available. I've yet to discuss with her having a prescription available on 10th March.... ;)

@novorapidboi26 I've been watching this for a while. If you want further information, go and have a look at this: http://www.diabettech.com/diabetes/...d2016-coming-to-a-pharmacy-near-you-sometime/ which includes a bunch of graphs and the studies that have been done.

Sadly, FIAasp is the only faster insulin on the horizon at the moment as Eli Lilly have pulled out of the BC Lispro work they were doing with the french company Adocia. The results from their trials of that one were pretty amazing! If I'm honest, I'm wondering whether Lilly have been working with the HDV stuff alongside BC and may move on to that one as their "faster" insulin.

In the meantime, if Adocia were to team up with Novo to make BC FIAsp, that would be cool... Faster, faster aspart!

Reactions: novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does it look like this insulin mixture will have more punch as well or is it purely an onset alteration....?

If we need less that would be a bonus...;)

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The patent must be running out on Novorapid and/or Humulog is my guess. When that happens the drug companies always seem to manage to market something they claim is better right? When the patent ran out on Lantus they come out with Toujeo. It might be good for pumpers though. I bet it's expensive!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The patent must be running out on Novorapid and/or Humulog is my guess. When that happens the drug companies always seem to manage to market something they claim is better right? When the patent ran out on Lantus they come out with Toujeo. It might be good for pumpers though. I bet it's expensive!

No its the same cost as Novorapid so I was told by my consultant. I find I become resistant to insulin the longer I'm on it so very much looking forward to changing!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

iHs

What about Apidra?? Not sure yet, but I might change back to it this year. It's onset is fast so no need to bolus 30 to 45mins in advance. I'd be hypo if I did that with Apidra esp if my bg levels were ok before eating a meal.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What about Apidra?? Not sure yet, but I might change back to it this year. It's onset is fast so no need to bolus 30 to 45mins in advance. I'd be hypo if I did that with Apidra esp if my bg levels were ok before eating a meal.
Interesting. I've not found Apidra to be all that fast.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi is this new insulin made by same company who manufactures Novo rapid .?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi is this new insulin made by same company who manufactures Novo rapid .?
Yes.

@his my consultant suggested I try this as its new to market and about the time I need to change.

@tim2000s its very personal, Novorapid was shockingly bad for me but no one believed me for years.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on it the day it was released, but my insurance switched me to Novolog a couple years ago. I don't notice any difference.

Yes its as with everything in Diabeties what works for one doesn't for another. I've seen a lot of people have similar reactions to myself now though. It used to take 2 hours for novorapid to start working, It now takes over an hour for Humalog to begin action (even with 150% basal and very few carbs on board). I know the longer I stay on it the longer this reaction time will be.