1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fiasp

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Ann48, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Ann48

Ann48 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just wondering if any pump users are using Fiasp with the pump. My Diabetes Doctor mentioned this insulin as being absorbed very fast and dropping off quicker than Novorapid and Humalog. My consultant wrote to my GP to ask for it to be put on my prescription, but my doctors say they are unable to prescribe it. The hospital didn't have it in stock either.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  3. eventhorizon

eventhorizon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I prefer fiasp over novorapid. Took a while to get used to tho. I'm on MDI.

4. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thats an interesting arcticle. On MDI I much prefer Fiasp over Novo Sluggish. Will be interesting to see when I eventually switch over to the pump. My diabetic team switched me to Fiasp to prepare me for the pump

• Like Like x 1
  5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@porl69 be prepared for unexpected outcomes with Fiasp in pumps. There is a fairly large minority that has found Fiasp really doesn't work well with pumps, and the outcome of Novo's own study, while it showed non-inferiority, didn't show improvement in long term measures or variability.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use Fiasp in my pump, and have done for well over a year. My cgm showed me that, with me, Fiasp only appears to be active for 3.5 hours, whereas Novorapid was 4 hours.

When my BG was high, Novorapid took most of the day, with at least a couple of corrections, to bring it down. With Fiasp, it comes down before my next meal.

With Novorapid, I bolussed before all meals but with Fiasp I have to wait till after a meal, if my BG is below my target of 6 - 8.

Fiasp is much better for me but everyone is different.

@Ann48 I don't know why your doctor says he can't prescribe it. I would have thought it would have been available everywhere by now. Have you asked a pharmacist if it's available? I remember years ago, my GP said she couldn't prescribe the drops my optician said I should ask for. She prescribed similar drops and when I told the pharmacist, she said the original drops were available and she'd just prescribed them for someone else. She added that it was probably due to the cost. @tim2000s I know the cost of Fiasp and Novorapid were the same, is that still the case?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My consultant told me they are the same price and that was in Aug/Sep when he sent a letter to my docs to change me to Fiasp.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yup, still the same.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ann48

Thank you, do you get in through your GP in Uk

10. Ann48

11. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think @Mel dCP is on Fiasp via Omnopod. How goes it fellow warrior?

12. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’m still on Novosluggish - I had the option of Fiasp when I got the pod but as I eat very low carb, I decided to stick with the slower one. It works really well with an extended bolus to deal with the slow rise I get from protein. In fact, many low carb type ones prefer Actrapid, which is even slower. If you don’t get a carb spike, Fiasp is just too aggressive.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. richyb

richyb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I have it in a pump. I like it a lot, works faster. Strangely though with me it slowed down after a few weeks, but it is still faster than Humalog.
    When I first used it I used a combo bolus over couple of hours to slow it's action. This prevented hypos post meal.
    Now I bolus over less time. Insulin sensitivity is slightly less.

14. Ann48

My GP rang to say they weren't able to prescribe it and we're writing to my DSN. I'm waiting for hospital to phone me. Thanks for your feedback.

• Hug Hug x 1
  15. buckmr2

buckmr2 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I asked to switch from Novorapid to Fiasp in April.
    Have been prescribed it no problem since without any availability issues.
    Last issue of 3 packs was 2 weeks ago.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

My prescription has just been changed from NovoRapid to Fiasp.
    There was no difficulty getting the prescription.
    I still have NovoRapid supplies so don’t know how easy it is for my pharmacist to get but in the past he has not been afraid to phone around for medication if he has none in stock so I am optimistic.

17. chrissargent

chrissargent · Member

I'm currently on fiasp MDI but going onto a pump tomorrow. My clinic wanted to swap me to NR but I wanted to stay on fiasp so that's what I'm doing.
    Clinic has changed me from Toujeo to Levemir though in case of a breakdown, not 100% sure why.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hope the change goes well for you !!

• Like Like x 1
  19. yakudueye1

yakudueye1 Type 1 · Active Member

It works perfect however am unlucky with the insulin that make my sugars better as I have had uti.chest infection and fat on the annoying places so will speak to Dn and ask to Change but no idea to what

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook