Fiasp

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just wondering if any pump users are using Fiasp with the pump. My Diabetes Doctor mentioned this insulin as being absorbed very fast and dropping off quicker than Novorapid and Humalog. My consultant wrote to my GP to ask for it to be put on my prescription, but my doctors say they are unable to prescribe it. The hospital didn't have it in stock either.

Reactions: kitedoc

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I prefer fiasp over novorapid. Took a while to get used to tho. I'm on MDI.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
PLenty of experience of it in pumps. Have a read of the following:

https://www.diabettech.com/fiasp/

People have had very variable results with it in pumps.
Thats an interesting arcticle. On MDI I much prefer Fiasp over Novo Sluggish. Will be interesting to see when I eventually switch over to the pump. My diabetic team switched me to Fiasp to prepare me for the pump

Reactions: kitedoc

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@porl69 be prepared for unexpected outcomes with Fiasp in pumps. There is a fairly large minority that has found Fiasp really doesn't work well with pumps, and the outcome of Novo's own study, while it showed non-inferiority, didn't show improvement in long term measures or variability.

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Fiasp in my pump, and have done for well over a year. My cgm showed me that, with me, Fiasp only appears to be active for 3.5 hours, whereas Novorapid was 4 hours.

When my BG was high, Novorapid took most of the day, with at least a couple of corrections, to bring it down. With Fiasp, it comes down before my next meal.

With Novorapid, I bolussed before all meals but with Fiasp I have to wait till after a meal, if my BG is below my target of 6 - 8.

Fiasp is much better for me but everyone is different.

@Ann48 I don't know why your doctor says he can't prescribe it. I would have thought it would have been available everywhere by now. Have you asked a pharmacist if it's available? I remember years ago, my GP said she couldn't prescribe the drops my optician said I should ask for. She prescribed similar drops and when I told the pharmacist, she said the original drops were available and she'd just prescribed them for someone else. She added that it was probably due to the cost. @tim2000s I know the cost of Fiasp and Novorapid were the same, is that still the case?

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use Fiasp in my pump, and have done for well over a year. My cgm showed me that, with me, Fiasp only appears to be active for 3.5 hours, whereas Novorapid was 4 hours.

When my BG was high, Novorapid took most of the day, with at least a couple of corrections, to bring it down. With Fiasp, it comes down before my next meal.

With Novorapid, I bolussed before all meals but with Fiasp I have to wait till after a meal, if my BG is below my target of 6 - 8.

Fiasp is much better for me but everyone is different.

@Ann48 I don't know why your doctor says he can't prescribe it. I would have thought it would have been available everywhere by now. Have you asked a pharmacist if it's available? I remember years ago, my GP said she couldn't prescribe the drops my optician said I should ask for. She prescribed similar drops and when I told the pharmacist, she said the original drops were available and she'd just prescribed them for someone else. She added that it was probably due to the cost. @tim2000s I know the cost of Fiasp and Novorapid were the same, is that still the case?[/

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I think @Mel dCP is on Fiasp via Omnopod. How goes it fellow warrior?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think @Mel dCP is on Fiasp via Omnopod. How goes it fellow warrior?
I’m still on Novosluggish - I had the option of Fiasp when I got the pod but as I eat very low carb, I decided to stick with the slower one. It works really well with an extended bolus to deal with the slow rise I get from protein. In fact, many low carb type ones prefer Actrapid, which is even slower. If you don’t get a carb spike, Fiasp is just too aggressive.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Yes I have it in a pump. I like it a lot, works faster. Strangely though with me it slowed down after a few weeks, but it is still faster than Humalog.
When I first used it I used a combo bolus over couple of hours to slow it's action. This prevented hypos post meal.
Now I bolus over less time. Insulin sensitivity is slightly less.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My GP rang to say they weren't able to prescribe it and we're writing to my DSN. I'm waiting for hospital to phone me. Thanks for your feedback.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I asked to switch from Novorapid to Fiasp in April.
Have been prescribed it no problem since without any availability issues.
Last issue of 3 packs was 2 weeks ago.

D

Deleted Account

My prescription has just been changed from NovoRapid to Fiasp.
There was no difficulty getting the prescription.
I still have NovoRapid supplies so don’t know how easy it is for my pharmacist to get but in the past he has not been afraid to phone around for medication if he has none in stock so I am optimistic.

chrissargent

I'm currently on fiasp MDI but going onto a pump tomorrow. My clinic wanted to swap me to NR but I wanted to stay on fiasp so that's what I'm doing.
Clinic has changed me from Toujeo to Levemir though in case of a breakdown, not 100% sure why.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
My prescription has just been changed from NovoRapid to Fiasp.
There was no difficulty getting the prescription.
I still have NovoRapid supplies so don’t know how easy it is for my pharmacist to get but in the past he has not been afraid to phone around for medication if he has none in stock so I am optimistic.
I hope the change goes well for you !!

Reactions: Kim Possible

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods
It works perfect however am unlucky with the insulin that make my sugars better as I have had uti.chest infection and fat on the annoying places so will speak to Dn and ask to Change but no idea to what