FIASP

mymate

I have been type 2 diabetic for a number of years and was recently transferred to the diabetic team at my local hospital. At my first appointment they changed my rapid acting insulin from Novorapid to FIASP as they said the Novorapid was not acting quickly enough. Great, I thought. FIASP worked really fast and very accurately for the first two weeks but since then it has been nothing but problems. I usually eat lunch at around about 1pm and inject at a ratio of 1:3 about fifteen minutes before I eat. There is no visible sign of control until well after 3pm, nearer 4pm when the FIASP begins to work. Try as I may I have never since been able to control my sugars and avoid massive spikes at above 15 or more. Has anyone else experienced the same thing and managed to resolve it at all please?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fiasp is a funny beast. It works great for many of us but others find its potency seems to wane.
It took me some time to understand what was happening for me with Fiasp but now would hate to return to NovoSluggish.

The first thing I noticed is that it does not last as long out of the fridge. After two weeks, it will seem much less strong for me. This is rarely a problem because I have an insulin pump so use it for both basal and bolus.

But the biggest thing to get my head around was the speed at which it worked. This is very dependent upon my BG at the time I take it.
- if my BG is in the 4s or low 5s, it works instantly. If I pre-bolused 15 minutes before eating, I would be hypo before my meal arrived. Usually, I bolus AFTER eating
- if my BG is between 6 and about 8, I can bolus just before eating.
- if my BG is higher, it feels as if I am injecting water and then suddenly, about an hour later, my BG will suddenly drop.

So, @mymate, you maybe one of the unfortunate for whom Fiasp has "worn off" for you or you may be like me and injecting when your levels are too high.

• Informative
Reactions: ert and Tiggy63#

Tiggy63#

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fiasp is a funny beast. It works great for many of us but others find its potency seems to wane.
It took me some time to understand what was happening for me with Fiasp but now would hate to return to NovoSluggish.

The first thing I noticed is that it does not last as long out of the fridge. After two weeks, it will seem much less strong for me. This is rarely a problem because I have an insulin pump so use it for both basal and bolus.

But the biggest thing to get my head around was the speed at which it worked. This is very dependent upon my BG at the time I take it.
- if my BG is in the 4s or low 5s, it works instantly. If I pre-bolused 15 minutes before eating, I would be hypo before my meal arrived. Usually, I bolus AFTER eating
- if my BG is between 6 and about 8, I can bolus just before eating.
- if my BG is higher, it feels as if I am injecting water and then suddenly, about an hour later, my BG will suddenly drop.

So, @mymate, you maybe one of the unfortunate for whom Fiasp has "worn off" for you or you may be like me and injecting when your levels are too high.
I totally agree with you, it does depend on what your BG's are and when to inject FIASP i have been Treseba once a day am then Fiasp before or after any foods.
The Fiasp does have a delayed action on high BG's, but act rapidly on low BG's I have been on Treseba and Fiasp for about 7 months now, it's still a learning curb for me.
I have been T2 since 2006 i was put on Insulin and Metformin right from the start, and was getting a lot of hypos, then all of a sudden they started going sky high to cut a long story short.
I spent October, November, December, January, in and out of hospital my BG's were going so High i ended up in Critical Care Unit 4 times 4 times in ITU out the 4 months, they stopped the Metformin.
I don't remember anything, i was very ill, couldn't eat, if i did it was Projectile Vomiting etc, i ended up with Malnutrition, Anemia, Pneumonia 3 times, Bronchitis, Covid, UTI's, was in a bad way, my bg's were still erratic until they changed all my insulin over.
Now i am getting better slowly i don't have nurses coming in anymore, i have now got a Libre 2 and wouldn't be without it, but had to prove i could deal with it.
I have had my Libre 2 for 5 months now and just add everything on the App i also have a Novopen 6 again makes it better.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I have been type 2 diabetic for a number of years and was recently transferred to the diabetic team at my local hospital. At my first appointment they changed my rapid acting insulin from Novorapid to FIASP as they said the Novorapid was not acting quickly enough. Great, I thought. FIASP worked really fast and very accurately for the first two weeks but since then it has been nothing but problems. I usually eat lunch at around about 1pm and inject at a ratio of 1:3 about fifteen minutes before I eat. There is no visible sign of control until well after 3pm, nearer 4pm when the FIASP begins to work. Try as I may I have never since been able to control my sugars and avoid massive spikes at above 15 or more. Has anyone else experienced the same thing and managed to resolve it at all please?
Unlike a normal person's insulin, injected insulin does not match the food you are eating so if you eat normally most people will spike their blood sugars. I use Fiasp and understand it is one of the quickest acting on the market. I avoid foods that make my blood sugars spike. However, the medical advice is as long as your blood sugars come back down to pre-meal levels 4-5 hours after injecting, then you have dosed correctly.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
However, the medical advice is as long as your blood sugars come back down to pre-meal levels 4-5 hours after injecting, then you have dosed correctly.
My understanding is, if your BG comes back to pre-meal levels after 4 to 5 hours, you have taken the correct amount but, if it is taking this long to come down, you dose timing is not correct.
This was taught to me by my DSN and repeated at DAFNE.

I do not avoid any foods due to their spikeability. I learn when to dose my insulin and enjoy a moderate carb diet.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
My understanding is, if your BG comes back to pre-meal levels after 4 to 5 hours, you have taken the correct amount but, if it is taking this long to come down, you dose timing is not correct.
This was taught to me by my DSN and repeated at DAFNE.

I do not avoid any foods due to their spikeability. I learn when to dose my insulin and enjoy a moderate carb diet.
On DAFNE they do say to try longer time periods between dosing and eating, but to be aware that it will reach a point where you will drop too much. There is only so far you can take this. Dr Bernstein advises to only drop 0.3 mmol/l before starting to eat. So, the reality is that I spike into double digits with most carbs. I'm on MDI rather than a pump.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: In Response