Fibre magic

Lisa69free

So... I've learned recently that fibre is great for diabetics. I've also learned to deduct the fibre amount from the total carbs. I've switched not only to wholemeal bread, but to wholemeal pasta too and eating more beans and pulses.

What are your findings?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210801_181723_com.android.chrome_edit_505424328486419.jpg
    Screenshot_20210801_181723_com.android.chrome_edit_505424328486419.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 143

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I’ve recently added more fibre to my diet, lots of green leafy veggies, chia seeds, flaxseeds, psyllium husk. Not sure, but it seems to lower my morning numbers.

Reactions: Jax21

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
I eat Lidls Wholemeal seeded Farmhouse, it works for me (no spike and 15.5g per slice).
Also as a family we have converted to wholemeal pasta, cooled down once cooked then reheated this then doesn't cause my blood sugar to spike (this process lowers its value on the glycemic index?).

Reactions: Jax21

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've also learned to deduct the fibre amount from the total carbs.
Only if you are in the US or reading nutritional information on American websites.
In the UK (and I believe most other countries), fibre is already removed from the total carbs.

I good hint is how it is spelt
- fibRE is already removed
- fibER is not

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly23

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In Canada as well, we follow the same convention as in the US - deduct fiber form the carbs amount stated on the labels to get net carbs.

Beans and pulse are the only 'high carb' food that do not impact my BG numbers.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I eat Lidls Wholemeal seeded Farmhouse, it works for me (no spike and 15.5g per slice).
Also as a family we have converted to wholemeal pasta, cooled down once cooked then reheated this then doesn't cause my blood sugar to spike (this process lowers its value on the glycemic index?).
Thats odd? or I am the only person in the world to not know this (as usual) if your right, and I'm sure you are, would reheating it over and over again continue to lower the carbs? does that also work with other foods?

Sorry OP

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Fenn

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Sorry Lisa69free,
I immediately went off of your topic of Fibre! Apologies for that.

Would this be additional fibre to the recommended 30g a day?

Lisa69free

Sorry Lisa69free,
I immediately went off of your topic of Fibre! Apologies for that.

Would this be additional fibre to the recommended 30g a day?
No problem lol. No idea, just wondered if anyone had any opinions. We are all learning how to cope and eat better to avoid spikes

JeanetteM1

So... I've learned recently that fibre is great for diabetics. I've also learned to deduct the fibre amount from the total carbs. I've switched not only to wholemeal bread, but to wholemeal pasta too and eating more beans and pulses.

What are your findings?

Warburtons no added sugar wholemeal but I only eat one carb a day if I eat weetabix I can’t have bread. Weetabix 2 has 26 g of carbs. Is that OK?

Last edited:

JeanetteM1

Thats odd? or I am the only person in the world to not know this (as usual) if your right, and I'm sure you are, would reheating it over and over again continue to lower the carbs? does that also work with other foods?

Sorry OP

You reminded me of this. Cooking and cooling down then reheating! Isn’t that one of Michael Mosleys findings? I’m not keen on reheated anything except soup.