Fibre

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi guys, soooo since having diabetes I suffer with unbearable constipation (so sorry) but I’m sure or hope I’m not the only one. It’s gotten worse since stopping smoking, I don’t want to live on laxatives, so can we take supplements? and if so which ones as I have no clue I’m reading flax seeds, then seeing we shouldn’t have them, then the husk one can’t spell the first word of it. Any help would really be appreciated x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fibre is likely to add to the problem rather than reduce it like adding cars to a traffic jam.
A magnesium supplement may help.. many have found it does.
What kind of stuff are you eating and are you experiencing pain or just "going" a lot less?

Reactions: Dudette1

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffered irregular movements for years. Pre and post diabetes. A year or so ago I decided to boost my gut bacteria and ate Greek yoghurt a lot for a few weeks with very good results. I then reduced to practically nothing and all is well.

HTH

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fibre is likely to add to the problem rather than reduce it like adding cars to a traffic jam.
A magnesium supplement may help.. many have found it does.
What kind of stuff are you eating and are you experiencing pain or just "going" a lot less?
Indeed, as a kid, I remember being given daily doses of Milk of Magnesia. More akin to an easy-out than the usual suspects. I tried Fibogel for a while but it had no noticeable effect. My doc did prescribe Dulcolax/Ducosate when I found hospital food was reluctant to leave, but I never used it when I got home again. I find my LCHF diet keeps things happy quite well.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Typical day, 2 cups of almond milk for breakfast (no sugars)
Dinner 0% fat Greek yogurt, 90% dark chocolate with raspberries, tea low carb roll with ham, cheese lettuce cucumber
8 glasses of water, walk around 10 miles a day

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Typical day, 2 cups of almond milk for breakfast (no sugars)
Dinner 0% fat Greek yogurt, 90% dark chocolate with raspberries, tea low carb roll with ham, cheese lettuce cucumber
8 glasses of water, walk around 10 miles a day

That doesn't sound very much at all, especially with all the walking you do. You don't seem to have anywhere near enough fat or protein. It could even be your problem is not eating enough - there is nothing to get rid of. Where have you read that we shouldn't eat flaxseed? I have a good portion of it every day. It has a lot of good stuff in it, omega 3 and protein as well as fibre. No butter on your low carb roll? Is there a reason for this?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, soooo since having diabetes I suffer with unbearable constipation (so sorry) but I’m sure or hope I’m not the only one. It’s gotten worse since stopping smoking, I don’t want to live on laxatives, so can we take supplements? and if so which ones as I have no clue I’m reading flax seeds, then seeing we shouldn’t have them, then the husk one can’t spell the first word of it. Any help would really be appreciated x
Yep. It's much better now, but it seemed to travel along with oedema. I was undiagnosed when it was at its worst, so I've only seen this as a diabetes issue in retrospect. My theory is that my body was trying to dilute the glucose in my blood by retaining as much water as possible...which unfortunately included the colon being a bit over active in removing water from stool. Didn't seem to be affected by what I ate, fibre, etc. and I didn't take anything for it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find plenty of water does the trick. Try adding a bit of pink salt to it. Usually any problems are eased when I up the water intake.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The problem with an ultra low-fat diet is that after a while your gall bladder fills up with bile, and the liver stops producing bile. So constipation of the bile duct, which can lead to the formation of gallstones, and also makes digestion of fat less effective. This drop in fat intake means that the bile no longer performs its function of ridding the body of dead cholesterol from the duodenum and this builds up and clogs the system (like mini fatbergs). The bile duct is also involved in lubricating the lower intestine which you will also be missing.

Many here report that changing to LCHF from a low-fat diet can trigger gallstones - note: these stones will have already formed and build up in the gallbladder like billiard balls in the rack, The increased fat diet increases bile, which flushes the stones out into the bile duct. This causes severe pain if they block the duct.

Ultra low fat is not as healthy as advertised. Your typical meal above would be considered ultra low fat. Your poor liver must be doing handsprings trying to make its own fat through Neolipogenesis.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
That doesn't sound very much at all, especially with all the walking you do. You don't seem to have anywhere near enough fat or protein. It could even be your problem is not eating enough - there is nothing to get rid of. Where have you read that we shouldn't eat flaxseed? I have a good portion of it every day. It has a lot of good stuff in it, omega 3 and protein as well as fibre. No butter on your low carb roll? Is there a reason for this?

No I don’t eat much in a day really at all, oh yeah I do have loads of butter on my roll ha! can’t remember where I saw it, will have a look and see if I can find it..so I can have the seeds then? If so I will put them in my yogurt :)

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
The problem with an ultra low-fat diet is that after a while your gall bladder fills up with bile, and the liver stops producing bile. So constipation of the bile duct, which can lead to the formation of gallstones, and also makes digestion of fat less effective. This drop in fat intake means that the bile no longer performs its function of ridding the body of dead cholesterol from the duodenum and this builds up and clogs the system (like mini fatbergs). The bile duct is also involved in lubricating the lower intestine which you will also be missing.

Many here report that changing to LCHF from a low-fat diet can trigger gallstones - note: these stones will have already formed and build up in the gallbladder like billiard balls in the rack, The increased fat diet increases bile, which flushes the stones out into the bile duct. This causes severe pain if they block the duct.

Ultra low fat is not as healthy as advertised. Your typical meal above would be considered ultra low fat. Your poor liver must be doing handsprings trying to make its own fat through Neolipogenesis.

I’m not on a low fat diet, this is just a typical one day.I’m on low carb.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Other foods I eat, sausages, peppers, onions, bacon, eggs, cheese, steak, cauliflower, potatoes once a week, my treat food. Chicken, garlic, butter on everything, olive oil extra virgin. Only thing I don’t have is fish, this is just a few things I would eat in the week as well as what I wrote above.I eat a mixture of things but still struggle. That’s why any help on what people take would be really helpful to me.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Other foods I eat, sausages, peppers, onions, bacon, eggs, cheese, steak, cauliflower, potatoes once a week, my treat food. Chicken, garlic, butter on everything, olive oil extra virgin. Only thing I don’t have is fish, this is just a few things I would eat in the week as well as what I wrote above.I eat a mixture of things but still struggle. That’s why any help on what people take would be really helpful to me.
Thats a more realistic list, and I cannot see anything that could lead to the problem you report especially if you are hydrating well. There are other seeds than flax. e.g. chia, linseed, poppy, hemp. Other than that may I suggest more greens such as broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, which have soluble fibre. even apples and pears but these have high sugar content.

Do you like licorice?

Do you use any artificial sweeteners? Some of them such as xylitol have a laxative effect. Granny's remedies such as prune juice, or figs. Just a few ideas that are not in pill form

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-foods-for-constipation#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe spinach would help? See attached.

Attachments

• 4897A0D4-0923-4C78-BC9F-59CBA40F5A88.png
    4897A0D4-0923-4C78-BC9F-59CBA40F5A88.png
    784.5 KB · Views: 100

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Thats a more realistic list, and I cannot see anything that could lead to the problem you report especially if you are hydrating well. There are other seeds than flax. e.g. chia, linseed, poppy, hemp. Other than that may I suggest more greens such as broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, which have soluble fibre. even apples and pears but these have high sugar content.

Do you like licorice?

Do you use any artificial sweeteners? Some of them such as xylitol have a laxative effect. Granny's remedies such as prune juice, or figs. Just a few ideas that are not in pill form

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/best-foods-for-constipation#TOC_TITLE_HDR_2

Thank you, this is extremely helpful

Newly diagnosed

Psyllium husk - I think?? Hope I’ve spelt it right!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have flaxseed every day as part of a low carb diet.
Milled flaxseed with chia seeds (2 dessert spoons flaxseed to one of chia) and either a little chopped nuts or sunflower seeds, made into a porridge - cooked in water with a little coconut milk and cinnamon and served with double cream on top.
I also have a couple of servings of green veg with dinner.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Warning - some might find this post a bit too graphic!
Although I try hard to keep up my fibre intake and drink lots, I have a serious constipation problem. Imo this is not necessarily due to my very low carb diet, though I expect that doesn't help. To keep myself out of A&E (seriously - impacted stool can require emergency treatment and I have come very near needing that a few times) - I have regular recourse to glycerol suppositories. They are prescribed for me by my GP, but they can be bought over the counter. Imo they are much preferable to laxatives, as they are obviously not ingested, and in the nature of things come out of the body fast. They are made from peanuts oil and are like little jelly torpedoes.
Good luck!
PS these are much cheaper at Superdrug than at Boots: https://www.superdrug.com/Health/St...lief-Suppositories-X-12/p/633164#pdp__details