Fibromyalgia

CATMAN1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I've recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in October 2015 with Fibromyalgia. Has anybody else got this dual diagnosis?

My main issues are chronic fatigue and pain. I was originally diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome back in 2009. I can no longer work due to my health. Can anybody relate?

Many thanks
Phil

Reactions: gilllsmaad

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There are members who suffer with Fibro, there are also members who have CFS. I am sure they will get in touch when they see your post.

In the meantime I will tag @daisy1 who will swing by and give you some really good information and useful links. Welcome to the forum.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@CATMAN1970

Hello Phil and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will help you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: CATMAN1970

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you low carb? After reducing my carbs my fatigue and aches went away. Mainly grains, starches, sugars, fruits etc.
I still get achy if I eat dairy more than just occasionally

CATMAN1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am now. I've adjusted my diet considerably now. I'm on Gabapentin and Codiene for the Fibro.. The pain and fatigue have become a torment. My sleep is real bad too as I often thrash about, esp'ly when the pain is real high.

CATMAN1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are members who suffer with Fibro, there are also members who have CFS. I am sure they will get in touch when they see your post.

In the meantime I will tag @daisy1 who will swing by and give you some really good information and useful links. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks Guzzler. Sorry for my late reply, still coming to grips with this site.

Reactions: Guzzler

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Hi. I've recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in October 2015 with Fibromyalgia. Has anybody else got this dual diagnosis?

My main issues are chronic fatigue and pain. I was originally diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome back in 2009. I can no longer work due to my health. Can anybody relate?

Many thanks
Phil
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2002 and diabetes about 4 years ago. I take amitriptyline to help with sleep and dihydrocodeine for pain although I can only take it at night as it causes drowsiness. I also take codeine and naproxen. I also take meds for an underactive thyroid. I also have osteoarthritis

Reactions: CATMAN1970

CATMAN1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on 300 mg Gabapentin twice a day and 600 mg on a nighttime along with Codiene.. They do so little though. My diabetes is going to be diet controlled for now as it isn't too bad but I hate the abscence of sugar in my diet as I have such a sweet tooth and I've used it when my energy levels are at a low ebb, which is most of the time. My pain and fatigue are through the roof right now to be honest, hence I can't sleep.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Catman, I know exactly how you feel. My pain and fatigue is out of control. I have a terrible sleep pattern and regularly don't sleep til 3 or 4 am. I have had a d and v bug for the last few days and my rib pain from the vomiting is horrendous. I wish I could say that fibromyalgia will go away but I've suffered with it for 16 and if anything it's worse than ever. It doesn't help that most people don't understand and it's an invisible condition

Susser76

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

Many thanks
Phil
Hi. I have fibromyalgia too and fatigue pains and insomnia is my biggest struggles. The prediabetes is new to me

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello All, Fibro sufferer since the mid 80s probably brought on by battle with cancer, only 35 at the time with two little kids.....stress plus, plus......some days better than others as you well know. Exercise more I'm told, but is it worth the three days of pain afterwards??!! Not! As with diabetes, each person with Fibro has their own experience and ways to cope....I choose to go with minimal meds, grin and bear it, although that is tough to do many days....the depression, insomnia, pain, fatigue....way of life, but I have chosen to accept it and go about my day the best I can.....it is hard when it is so "invisible" a condition and so poorly understood. Talk about being judged....oh, boy....have eliminated those people from my life!! And then to add diabetes into the mix, now experiencing some neuropathy - not fun.....I will be 68 in May and soooo glad to still be here....thinking about going back on Amytriptyline as it is one of the best drugs for fibro for getting some restorative sleep and dealing with depression....haven't acted on that yet....

I would imagine those of you who are on strong pain killers have additional issues that can be limiting in what you can do as well. Hopefully it is helpful to know that you are not alone and we all are finding our "normal" which is so vastly different than what we ever dreamed of for ourselves....a tough row to hoe.....but I try to find positive things to do and enjoy so that I have some sunshine in my life:) I try to find at least 3 or 5 things every day that I find I am grateful for - even if it is having just made it through the day:) I'm cheering for you all/Blessings/L

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am now. I've adjusted my diet considerably now. I'm on Gabapentin and Codiene for the Fibro.. The pain and fatigue have become a torment. My sleep is real bad too as I often thrash about, esp'ly when the pain is real high.
Out of interest, do you take paracetamol with your codeine?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It has been suggested I may have it but since always on painkillers its very difficult to assess and weight bearing pains need eliminating first. I don't feel I have weight bearing pain but I'm told I must due to being obese.
Been obese all my life so I think I know what's what.
Except for what fibromyalgia is, until recent research.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Diagnosed with fibro back in 2009.. T1 for decades before that. Low carb practically all my adult life .. 30+ years..
Have had bouts of chronic fatigue, depression but due to chronic intolerance to medications .. I dont have any of the usual drugs... although I have tried them...
For me, a gym refereal with a one to one coach was superb. My dogs have always been my reason for getting up each day. Have progressed so mych since getting my large puppy last year that I have now been asked to train as a dog training instructor...
also joining activity groups was brilliant. Yes, huge effort but so rewarding...and also had double mastecomy and other sugnificant stomach/colon probs.

Finally, last year I met a very, very disabled lady. She couldnt eat for 3 years-survived on Ensure. Has a really rare form of dystonia, surgeons bungled ops and completely unable to feed or wash or do anything for herself.. cannot grasp a glass of water...
No bowel, colon or bladder.
But this lady never stops laughing and giving joy and inspiration. She has 6 sets of carers each day and a nurse at 2-3am each morning... yet she never moans about anything..
She beyond anybody or anything has inspired me...
She cannot weight bear at all, cannot get up or go to bed without ceiling hoist and carers... yet she has found ways to take superb photos..

From her friends there are people that will do anything for her to help her and care for her... and theres some that want every gadget she has for themselves... ie her wheelchair, her van....

Fibro is an illness of mind and muscle and both have to be addressed. Quality of life can be improved....

I've shown a picture of van insides... people think she lucky to have van... but I would rather them appreciate the rest of her life and what a beautiful lady she is inside and out.

Never give up getting up and battling on. This lady was aldo left bed bound for 2 years as carers wouldnt get her up. It didnt destroy her... she fought... and so should all of us...

Just never give up...

23bc2f9f960de17fbeea7ca4fe6f4060.jpg
a2f10f0d3e7356942feac774d9798d3b.jpg
4d3ed5aee2d7cf30727f4b16b1f0ec98.jpg

Last photo is her fantastic photography. Her hands are permanently clamped in a fist, so imagine what it takes for her to do this...

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What
Diagnosed with fibro back in 2009.. T1 for decades before that. Low carb practically all my adult life .. 30+ years..
Have had bouts of chronic fatigue, depression but due to chronic intolerance to medications .. I dont have any of the usual drugs... although I have tried them...
For me, a gym refereal with a one to one coach was superb. My dogs have always been my reason for getting up each day. Have progressed so mych since getting my large puppy last year that I have now been asked to train as a dog training instructor...
also joining activity groups was brilliant. Yes, huge effort but so rewarding...and also had double mastecomy and other sugnificant stomach/colon probs.

Finally, last year I met a very, very disabled lady. She couldnt eat for 3 years-survived on Ensure. Has a really rare form of dystonia, surgeons bungled ops and completely unable to feed or wash or do anything for herself.. cannot grasp a glass of water...
No bowel, colon or bladder.
But this lady never stops laughing and giving joy and inspiration. She has 6 sets of carers each day and a nurse at 2-3am each morning... yet she never moans about anything..
She beyond anybody or anything has inspired me...
She cannot weight bear at all, cannot get up or go to bed without ceiling hoist and carers... yet she has found ways to take superb photos..

From her friends there are people that will do anything for her to help her and care for her... and theres some that want every gadget she has for themselves... ie her wheelchair, her van....

Fibro is an illness of mind and muscle and both have to be addressed. Quality of life can be improved....

I've shown a picture of van insides... people think she lucky to have van... but I would rather them appreciate the rest of her life and what a beautiful lady she is inside and out.

Never give up getting up and battling on. This lady was aldo left bed bound for 2 years as carers wouldnt get her up. It didnt destroy her... she fought... and so should all of us...

Just never give up...

23bc2f9f960de17fbeea7ca4fe6f4060.jpg
a2f10f0d3e7356942feac774d9798d3b.jpg
4d3ed5aee2d7cf30727f4b16b1f0ec98.jpg

Last photo is her fantastic photography. Her hands are permanently clamped in a fist, so imagine what it takes for her to do this...
What an inspirational lady. We're so lucky to be able to walk,bake and look after our families and grandchildren. I can only hope that I could be so stoical if I was in her situation

Reactions: Polly1974

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What

What an inspirational lady. We're so lucky to be able to walk,bake and look after our families and grandchildren. I can only hope that I could be so stoical if I was in her situation

I have been scared about the prospect of losing my colon but if she can manage it, then sure as hell I'm going to do everytjing poss to keep eating my limited foods.. but not be scared anout my prospects or future...

I get inspiration every single day due to this beautiful friend.

Just keep going everybody...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The human mind is extremely powerful. She is indeed a fantastic inspiration @donnellysdogs .
So many now want the right to die in similar circumstances. I think pain levels can change a persons thinking, especially if that pain threshold isnt working properly.
We are all different but also our tolerance levels too.
Your friend is lucky to not have to bear unbearable pain which her mind cannot process or cope with.
I don't now if I could be so happy? I hope I never have to find out.
A one in a million, for sure.
Poor woman.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The human mind is extremely powerful. She is indeed a fantastic inspiration @donnellysdogs .
So many now want the right to die in similar circumstances. I think pain levels can change a persons thinking, especially if that pain threshold isnt working properly.
We are all different but also our tolerance levels too.
Your friend is lucky to not have to bear unbearable pain which her mind cannot process or cope with.
I don't now if I could be so happy? I hope I never have to find out.
A one in a million, for sure.
Poor woman.

Dystonia gives the worst painful spasms that could be tolerated. When her first toe started to go in inverted she thought it was chronic cramp. Then every toe, her ankles, her fingers, bladder, colon. Only by the grace of god is she still here having been in ICU for 5 weeks etc and constant failed operations-one by a rogue surgeon.

Anybody suffering TMJ for a little while -ask them to think of having that all your life.... another surgeon getting you in to do an op and going on tge table... then coming round and the op not done...the anaethetist stopped it. She hadnt been told that there was a 75% failure rate... and her face could be totally paralysed.

This lady has syringe drivers of pain meds constantly. She still doesnt moan.
Getting oesophagul spasms continually and initially not being able to get a spray that she could push or use...

Pain.... she has more pain than anyone of us could ever imagine.

She cant swallow tablets like codeine etc or paracetomals.

She uses joy and laughter as her pain management biggest tool..and her canine partners dog...she has no support from family at all. No parents, just carers and friends.

She lives with more pain than anybody could imagine...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dystonia gives the worst painful spasms that could be tolerated. When her first toe started to go in inverted she thought it was chronic cramp. Then every toe, her ankles, her fingers, bladder, colon. Only by the grace of god is she still here having been in ICU for 5 weeks etc and constant failed operations-one by a rogue surgeon.

Anybody suffering TMJ for a little while -ask them to think of having that all your life.... another surgeon getting you in to do an op and going on tge table... then coming round and the op not done...the anaethetist stopped it. She hadnt been told that there was a 75% failure rate... and her face could be totally paralysed.

This lady has syringe drivers of pain meds constantly. She still doesnt moan.
Getting oesophagul spasms continually and initially not being able to get a spray that she could push or use...

Pain.... she has more pain than anyone of us could ever imagine.

She cant swallow tablets like codeine etc or paracetomals.

She uses joy and laughter as her pain management biggest tool..and her canine partners dog...she has no support from family at all. No parents, just carers and friends.

She lives with more pain than anybody could imagine...
God bless her.
She is indeed one of life's survivors.

I guess no improvement for her just good or the best pain management possible. I thank god she is in the UK and attempts have been made to improve her situation. Thank god for the nhs!
I doesn't bare thinking of the alternative.
Her medical history is a very very inspiration story.

You really feel passionate about her. You are a good friend and I'm sure companion at times. A lovely very strong lady.
Respect to her, indeed. And you.
Many could take inspiration from her.
I'd ignore medical advice if I thought I'd improve my situation but many do rely on pain relief to get on with their life. I'm one but hate every day of it. I'll need accept disability...its just not me. I won't be happy til I'm the ickihun of the past but older. I refuse to let that need go. After all what's my alternative. I eat what I like and get bed bound and die.
Just like your friend we are fighting our own separate fights everyday...sometimes just to walk. I didn't bring my diabetes on by neglect I was psychological conditioned by my parents and I've fought that ignorance ever since.
Fighting a fight without NHS support most of my life. It is only until I cannot walk am I asking for help and luckily the NHS can help me. I appreciate many cannot be given a chance to turn things around and have to go through stages of acceptance along the way.
Your friend is fantastic in her quest. She is indeed a medical soldier and defeats her enemy most days.
We are all doing the same but in different variants. Obstacles that are huge to us but maybe not to others.
The mind has a lot to do with it. I've always known that.

Her family may not be around but her circle now must be keeping her level and I'm only fully aware how damaging the wrong people giving support, the damage they can do. (Mentally).
I thank god for what she does have and wish her every strength and conviction to continue fighting her daily fight. Bless her.
I wish her huge wellness and continued strength.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have to post this..... I went to GP about tramadol not working and the agony in moving.
I end up coming out giggling and laughing.
Now that's what I call a brilliant GP!!!

I'd share him but what a job I'd have waiting for an appointment. If anyone is looking for a good GP in Sunderland I would recommend him thou. He's kept me right medically and grounded.
You cannot ask for more.

I thank my lucky stars as without the right minded people around you your life is far tougher without. ;)