1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

File on 4 Feb 21/26

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by viviennem, Feb 20, 2012.

1. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So does that give DUK authority to give out potentially dangerous diet advice to all diabetics without seeing any individually? And are our HPs unable professionally to learn & apply from their patients experience to the extent that if they do they are open to negligence? Aren't they anyway if they tell us to base our diet around 50% carb, or if they advise a "wait & see" approach like they did with some of the victims in that programme? They should be.

2. IanD

IanD Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The checks I get at Dr's practice include:
    HbA1c
    Cholesterol-lipids
    Kidney function
    Liver function
    weight/BMI
    blood pressure
    foot - referred to foot clinic
    activity/lifestyle
    well-being feeling
    urine
    alcohol
    smoking
    + retina screening

Is that all the 9 points? What have I added that is unnecessary?

They could routinely add:
    hearing
    mental acuity
    balance
    my BG readings
    possible hypos
    energy/tiredness
    breath & puff
    teeth/gums
    erectile function
    Cardio-vascular risk
    diet

Perhaps they do some of them just by observation - but some things we put down to getting older when they are symptoms of an adverse condition.

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Ian, I was merely pointing out why your gp wouldn't be sending his patients in your direction for advice on their diabetes management, I appreciate you mean well but there are other considerations to take into account.

4. sugar2

sugar2 · Well-Known Member

I found the account of the young girl who died from dka truly shocking. A case if failure in education that was shocking.

5. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

I've just listened to the programme and have to sum it all up in two words - Extremely Worrying.

I thank my lucky stars in many ways that I developed diabetes in the 60's as I had really good care on diagnosis and excellent dietary advice regarding carbohydrate which is something that many diabetics don't appear to get anymore according to some parts of the UK.

I hope that the programme will make many GPs, Consultants and Dsns shake in their shoes. It will be interesting for the audit to be done again from 2011 to 2012. Many of the PCTs will fail.

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes it was shocking. All type 1's should have the basic education on what to do in times of sickness, I've said for a long-time that within 3-6 months of diagnosis they should be offered a place on a course such as DAFNE which covers the subject of Sick Day rules.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook