IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
noblehead said:
Yes Ian but at a support group we are all free to express our views without it be the spoken word, same as here on the forum, a gp directing a patient to you on how best to control their diabetes could leave them upon to negligence should any harm come from that advice.

You have to remember we are all experts in managing our own diabetes but not necessarily everyone else's, only HCP can access patients medical reports when accessing a patients needs and this needs to be taken into considration.

So does that give DUK authority to give out potentially dangerous diet advice to all diabetics without seeing any individually? And are our HPs unable professionally to learn & apply from their patients experience to the extent that if they do they are open to negligence? Aren't they anyway if they tell us to base our diet around 50% carb, or if they advise a "wait & see" approach like they did with some of the victims in that programme? They should be.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
The checks I get at Dr's practice include:
HbA1c
Cholesterol-lipids
Kidney function
Liver function
weight/BMI
blood pressure
foot - referred to foot clinic
activity/lifestyle
well-being feeling
urine
alcohol
smoking
+ retina screening

Is that all the 9 points? What have I added that is unnecessary?

They could routinely add:
hearing
mental acuity
balance
my BG readings
possible hypos
energy/tiredness
breath & puff
teeth/gums
erectile function
Cardio-vascular risk
diet

Perhaps they do some of them just by observation - but some things we put down to getting older when they are symptoms of an adverse condition.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
IanD said:
noblehead said:
So does that give DUK authority to give out potentially dangerous diet advice to all diabetics without seeing any individually? And are our HPs unable professionally to learn & apply from their patients experience to the extent that if they do they are open to negligence? Aren't they anyway if they tell us to base our diet around 50% carb, or if they advise a "wait & see" approach like they did with some of the victims in that programme? They should be.

Ian, I was merely pointing out why your gp wouldn't be sending his patients in your direction for advice on their diabetes management, I appreciate you mean well but there are other considerations to take into account.

sugar2

I found the account of the young girl who died from dka truly shocking. A case if failure in education that was shocking.

iHs

I've just listened to the programme and have to sum it all up in two words - Extremely Worrying.

I thank my lucky stars in many ways that I developed diabetes in the 60's as I had really good care on diagnosis and excellent dietary advice regarding carbohydrate which is something that many diabetics don't appear to get anymore according to some parts of the UK.

I hope that the programme will make many GPs, Consultants and Dsns shake in their shoes. It will be interesting for the audit to be done again from 2011 to 2012. Many of the PCTs will fail.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sugar2 said:
I found the account of the young girl who died from dka truly shocking. A case if failure in education that was shocking.

Yes it was shocking. All type 1's should have the basic education on what to do in times of sickness, I've said for a long-time that within 3-6 months of diagnosis they should be offered a place on a course such as DAFNE which covers the subject of Sick Day rules.