1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Finger prick problems

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by dick48, Jan 23, 2020.

1. dick48

dick48 · Newbie

I have just been prescribed insulin injections for my T2 and now have to test before driving. I am finding it difficult to get much blood when pricking my fingers. Any advice please?

2. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Warm them up, either under a warm faucet or by rubbing. Also, check the depth of your pricker. You might need a bit more needle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome :)

I use the sides of my fore finger, middle finger, ring finger and little fingers and if struggling I have to squeeze the finger to produce blood, as long as your fingers are warm and there is enough depth on the pricker you should be ok.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Active Member

Apart from what's already been said, the best advice I ever read was on this forum, and that was to prick your finger and leave it for a few seconds before squeezing, to allow the hole to open up. Works much better for me this way.

• Like Like x 3
  5. dick48

dick48 · Newbie

Thanks everyone. I will give your suggestions a try.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 12oz sirloin

12oz sirloin Type 2 · Member

I warm them up next to the radiator before pricking, especially in this cold weather (UK)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Interestingly (to me anyway), when I was first diagnosed it was like trying to get blood out of a stone, but as I regained control and began healing my body, it became much easier. These days it shoots out like a jet. If I set my lancing device to max depth it's like I've just been shot :hungover:

I put it down to vastly improving circulation over time. But then again my blood was like treacle at the outset. I don't know if other people have noticed similar? I've never noticed anyone else mention it, here or elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

One other thing is to massage the finger from the base towards the finger tip then finger prick, this was a technique my son had used on the ward he worked on it was one of his jobs to check the blood sugars of patients he called it milking the finger. When I first started testing I was having problems extracting blood he noticed and said look dad try doing it this way it worked

• Like Like x 1
  9. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Check the thickness of your lancet as well.
    My finger pricker takes at least two gauges of needle.
    I started on a fine one but now the surgery gives me a slightly thicker one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If I'm having problems, as well as doing above suggestions, I shake the test hand downwards. This works for me, especially if my hands have been cold.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Use a decent lancing device such as a Accu Chek Fastclix, and you will not have any problems getting a sample.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bengaltiger

bengaltiger Type 2 · Newbie

OK I know the answer to this question! After years of multiple pricks to get tiny bits of blood out I did a lot of research and boy am I glad I did! This lancet and device are the only ones in existence that need just the tiniest amount of blood! I still have trouble in the winter and need a little massaging and heating up of fingers but compared to all the previous devices, these have stood the test of time for me. You can get them on Amazon.com not sure about Amazon UK. I can't seem to get the lancet and the device here in Europe either but the needle and strip supplies are freely available at the pharmacy here in Italy. You need to buy the lancet and the device separately as the lancet that comes with the device is not the one you want.

Freestyle LITE blood glucose monitoring system - (there is another that says Freedom Light but I've never used it, I think it is larger than the Lite only)

One Touch DELICA lancing device - you will need to get the One Touch Delica lancets to go with it

I read an article by VeryWell Health about it but I can't seem to link it here, however you can google and it should come up
    Glucose Meters That Require the Smallest Samples
    I hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lynne C J

Lynne C J Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gloucestergirl

Gloucestergirl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with Hopeful34, I prick my finger then put the pricker back in the case and by that time the hole has opened up so it's no problem squeezing out the blood. One thing I was told after many years of pricking was to wipe away the first spot of blood because there will be fluid in it which will affect the reading, I wonder if anyone else has been told this as whenever I'd had my finger pricked by a nurse etc. they always take the first spot of blood.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shaul Dror

Shaul Dror Type 2 · Member

A great solution for you would be the Genteel lancing device. It generates a vacuum to draw the blood drop out and it is also suitable for other sites and for example pricking from your palm gives the same reading as fingers as it shares the same blood supply. Best of all it's almost always pain free.

• Like Like x 1
  16. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I also find that it can be harder to get the blood out if I'm a bit dehydrated - I now make sure I have drunk enough water and that seems to help.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 22nw22

22nw22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hate non-bleeders. Get that a fair bit. Urgh.

I hope the fingers have started bleeding.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook