finger prickin?

pavmas

Well Jen they would not be used for cigarettes they would be used to stop your daughters pain, I assume by your response you don't use a lighter when having a barbicue and rub two sticks together

Muffmitz

I did make checks by pricking both my finger and my hypothenar eminence and I got the same readings. I don't see how it can be possible to keep taking blood from fingers!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Well I've been doing it for three years and only use two fingers on each hand, I've never had a problem getting blood from my fingers.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Muffmitz said:
I did make checks by pricking both my finger and my hypothenar eminence and I got the same readings. I don't see how it can be possible to keep taking blood from fingers!

What in layman's terms is a hypothenar eminence....... :?

As for finger pricking....I have for the last 12 months been using 3 fingers on my left hand and I often test up to ten times a day. This is because I have very tight control of Bg levels and recently have had to try and keep that tight control despite taking some extremely powerful drugs which have decimated my Bg levels.

My fingers are perfectly fine and have no bruises, damage or any other problems. Never had any problem getting blood either, my lancing device is set to almost it's lowest setting too. :D

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Having googled said words Wikipaedia says:

Hypothenar refers to a group of three muscles of the palm that control the motion of the little finger.
The three muscles are:[1]
• Abductor digiti minimi
• Flexor digiti minimi
• Opponens digiti minimi

So I guess it is to do with the pinky then! :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Thanks Synonym, not quite though !
I ended up looking at Gray's Anatomy to find the answer to my question.

The hypothenar group consists of the palmaris brevis, abductor digiti minimi, flexor digiti minimi, and opponens digiti minimi. They are all innervated by the ulnar nerve.

This group of muscles originates at the flexor retinaculum and carpal bones and inserts at the base of the proximal phalanx of the small finger.

What all this means in layman's language is this is the fleshy pad on the side of the hand opposite the thumb and between the wrist and the base of the little finger. An Alternative Site for blood testing as opposed to your fingers. (AST)

It is important to note that when your glucose is changing rapidly, there may be a difference in the glucose readings between your finger and other test sites, like the forearm, upper arm, thigh, calf, and other areas of the hand. Because blood flow to the finger is three to five times faster than other alternate sites, blood samples from the finger may show changes in your glucose sooner than the forearm, upper arm, thigh, calf, and other parts of the hand.

The possible difference in glucose readings between the finger and other alternate sites could delay your detection of hypoglycemia. Vigorous rubbing of the alternate test sites before lancing will help to minimize the difference between finger and other alternate site test results.

Before using Alternate Site Testing (AST) you should always discuss this with your HCP.

Clear as mud........ :wink:

Muffmitz

I did say that when you close your hand the little finger rests on your hypothenar eminence! It is a very obvious muscle bulk.

I found that I couldn't keep using my left hand fingers to get blood and that is why I switched to my hypothenar eminence. I find it difficult to take blood from my right hand and I have tried.

I have just been sent the Bayer Contour monitor and I will see if it is any better.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
As none of us knew what the hypothenar eminence is and my little finger rests somewhere to the sides of the HE it really didn't help us a great deal, hence the explanation in lay person speak........ :D Most members, myself included,are not medically trained or used to technical terms such as HE.

A couple of members pm'd me wanting to know what on earth it was, so I obliged them by asking the question and then seeking the answer myself fom Gray's Anatomy.

We aim to give out information that helps our members understand things better..... :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
HE, no it is I...... :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
HO HO HO, IT IS HE......... :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
HOGFATHER...... :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
( Sorry, normal service will now be resumed on this thread !! ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too much Spring Water.......as far as I'm concerned, as for Sue....well, she has one or two vices... :wink:

Ken

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Is Ken Sue???

Is this a weekend thing or what?

Ken during the week and Sue at weekends? 8) :wink:

Muffmitz

What utter nonsense and it helps no-one! This is an important site and could be very helpful to many people particularly the recently diagnosed. Really!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Muffmitz said:
What utter nonsense and it helps no-one! This is an important site and could be very helpful to many people particularly the recently diagnosed. Really!

Really......it seems you have no sense of humour.

WE know all about this site, WE deal with it on a daily basis. So, WE don't need any lectures thank you ! :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ardbeg said:
Is Ken Sue???

Is this a weekend thing or what?

Ken during the week and Sue at weekends? 8) :wink:

Jim.

Shhh ! Keep it quiet will you..... :wink:

Ken/Sue :?