First Appointment without official diagnosis?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which unfortunately makes sense for me, as I already have autoimmune disorder with Granuloma Annulare :(
Loads of T2's have autoimmune issues. You rarely only get one, after all. (Rheumatism and hypothyroid here). You're young for a T2, and that makes T1 likely, so it could go either way. But T1 is managable. And contrary to me, T1's can just eat a cupcake and bolus for it! (Inject fast acting insulin).

...I just take pictures of pretty cupcakes. I'm famous for it in the family. Last birthday party I attended I got a sweet pastry shoved under my nose and was ordered to photograph it, before it went back in the fridge, haha. Objectifying foods I can't eat anymore works for me, but honestly... I wanted to shove it up my brother in law's nose right then. ;)

Really, whatever type you turn out to be... It'll be okay. And you can shop nice purses at www.myabetic.com for your T1 or T2 gear if you like! I'm all about the silver lining... Said the clinically depressed lass who owns two purses that rock. ;) Retail therapy for the win!

NixiHB

Loads of T2's have autoimmune issues. You rarely only get one, after all. (Rheumatism and hypothyroid here). You're young for a T2, and that makes T1 likely, so it could go either way. But T1 is managable. And contrary to me, T1's can just eat a cupcake and bolus for it! (Inject fast acting insulin).

...I just take pictures of pretty cupcakes. I'm famous for it in the family. Last birthday party I attended I got a sweet pastry shoved under my nose and was ordered to photograph it, before it went back in the fridge, haha. Objectifying foods I can't eat anymore works for me, but honestly... I wanted to shove it up my brother in law's nose right then. ;)

Really, whatever type you turn out to be... It'll be okay. And you can shop nice purses at www.myabetic.com for your T1 or T2 gear if you like! I'm all about the silver lining... Said the clinically depressed lass who owns two purses that rock. ;) Retail therapy for the win!
You sounds like me! I had no idea there was such a thing as a purse for diabetics - this is a good excuse for shopping! Thank you :) :)

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Read around the forum. Make a note of questions you want to ask at the surgery.

I would take the day off work and use that time to do a bit of research.

If you are T1, I can offer no advice as I have no experience. But I can offer sympathy and support.

D

Deleted Account

I'm so sorry that happened to you! I'm really hoping that it is type 2, I don;t know how I will cope with injections - the blood tests have been enough for me :'(
As someone who was diagnosed as type 1 as an adult, I would say try not to panic.
If you have to give yourself injections, they are not as bad as blood tests - the needle is 4mm long and there is no scary syringe to use. As it is what people with type 1 have to do to stay alive, most of us just take it in our stride.
Obviously, I know more about type 1 than type 2 or any of the other types of diabetes. With the limited knowledge I have of type 2, I am glad I have type 1.
- Type 1 typically happens much quicker so I had less time undiagnosed to build up complications.
- Unfortunately, as many people with type 2 are overweight (but as others have already said, not all), there is a social stigma associated with type 2.
- By balancing my insulin to the food I eat, I do not have to limit what I eat, avoid carbs, etc. I have never had to diet.

When I was first diagnosed, the best advice I was given was "diabetes should not stop you doing what you want" and since then I have certainly tested that theory.

D

Deleted Account

T1 is more common in childre adolescents & younger adults - the 2 types have different treatments and although diet is important in both forms, it cannot ‘cure’ T1 which is an autoimmune disorder.
More than half of people with type 1 are diagnosed over the age of 20. And, once diagnosed, as there is no cure, even those diagnosed as children, adolescents and younger adults, will have type 1 as adults. Therefore, type 1 is more common in adults.
Diet is NOT important for most people with type 1. Provided we match our insulin dose to what we eat, diet does not need to be limited. Some people with type 1 choose to adopt a low carb diet as they find it easier to calculate their insulin dose and, needing a lower dose, they are less likely to miscalculate the dose.
You are correct that there is no cure for type 1.

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so sorry that happened to you! I'm really hoping that it is type 2, I don;t know how I will cope with injections - the blood tests have been enough for me :'(
It's very much a case of swings and roundabouts;

T1's get much more support from the NHS and can be more relaxed about what they choose to eat. Getting things wrong can get serious very quickly though.

Going on what the T2's post here, just as much dedication is needed for T2 if you want to keep things under control and you probably need to be more selective in what you eat. But generally mistakes are less catastrophic.

Whichever it turns out to be, there's lots of knowledge and advice on this forum. Before you know it, you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about...

Shiba.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can also say that taking insulin is more of a nuisance than a problem so if you are T1 don't panic. The great thing is that it works and can give you more control and freedom that T2s on tablets may not find so easy. Although you do have freedom of diet on T1 your body is able to metabolise all the carbs you eat so guess what? If you have too many you will gain weight so many T1/LADAs like me still need to control the carbs.

Reactions: jjraak

NixiHB

So I had my first appointment on Monday at the hospital, as it was an 'emergency appointment'. Blood sugar tested at 17.3 when I first got there, but later with a different machine tested at 14.9, and ketone test showed 0.6. I've been given a meter to test my own blood, they have told me to test before breakfast and before tea and keep a track of this. They tried to get me to start on insulin but I argued that I haven't been diagnosed as T1 yet - so they have put me on metformin for now. They took an antibody test on the day so I should get my results at my next appointment on Monday 28th at the diabetes centre.

Tests so far have been:
Ketones now showing at 0.3.

No idea if these are normal readings for newly diagnosed, feeling incredibly overwhelmed at the moment...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know what testing before breakfast and dinner is going to tell you.

I would test before eating and again 2 hours after the first bite. That will tell you what your food is doing to you. A rise of more than 2 means it was too high in carbs.

Having said that, you have yet to get a definitive diagnosis. The numbers you quoted are quite high and they need to be brought down.

NixiHB

I would test before eating and again 2 hours after the first bite. That will tell you what your food is doing to you. A rise of more than 2 means it was too high in carbs.

Having said that, you have yet to get a definitive diagnosis. The numbers you quoted are quite high and they need to be brought down.
From what the diabetic nurse said it was just to test to see how my diet and the metformin is working in general, before deciding on diet as no diagnosis of T1 or T2. If I test after food I will panic as very high I would imagine? It's already high before food so will spike massively after food. At the moment cutting down on carbs as much as possible and totally cut out added sugar, so hoping that I will be able to control things with diet... Feeling very nervous about Monday!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The most important thing for now is that you get a correct diagnosis.

I would ignore the actual numbers, most of us started with runaway numbers to begin with.

Concentrate on the difference between the before and after meals. If the number is 2 or less give yourself a pat on the back.

If your number is over 2 you should look at what you ate
It could have been too heavy in carbs, or your portion was too large.

Make sure your food diary includes portion size. If you snack on a piece of cheese, weigh it. At the beginning I massively underestimated what I was eating!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

It is a easy way to get people to test at times when they have not resently eaten, so removing the effect of their food chooses. If the numbers keep going up, it shows someone's diabetes is getting worce. (Without having to wait until it shows up in a A1c)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They tried to get me to start on insulin but I argued that I haven't been diagnosed as T1 yet

Many people with type1 never test posstives for the antibodies. Hopefully they have also done a cpettride test to see how much inslin your body is making. In Type2 the body make much more inslin then is normal for the first few years, in Type1 the body make less inslin then is normal.

Even if you start on insulin, as you adjust the dose to match what your body needs, the inslin can be stopped if you control BG in other ways. Hence I am not convinced there is much to grain by delaying inslin until all the teet results have come back.

NixiHB

Many people with type1 never test posstives for the antibodies. Hopefully they have also done a cpettride test to see how much inslin your body is making. In Type2 the body make much more inslin then is normal for the first few years, in Type1 the body make less inslin then is normal.

Even if you start on insulin, as you adjust the dose to match what your body needs, the inslin can be stopped if you control BG in other ways. Hence I am not convinced there is much to grain by delaying inslin until all the teet results have come back.
Because I'm petrified of injections so if there's a chance I don't need insulin I'm going to wait a week to find out! If I'm T2 I might never need insulin, what's the point in starting that and causing myself unnecessary stress when my appointment is only in a week anyway?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Because I'm petrified of injections so if there's a chance I don't need insulin I'm going to wait a week to find out! If I'm T2 I might never need insulin, what's the point in starting that and causing myself unnecessary stress when my appointment is only in a week anyway?
I agree that at the moment for you it may be best to delay injecting. When I was diagnosed my readings must have been in the 30s and I was hyper so being below 20 is not good but unlikely to cause a short-term problem as lobng as it's not prolonged. As @ringi says, the GAD test by itself is not conclusive for T1 and must be accompanied by the c-peptide test. I had my two tests done privately and the GAD was negative but the c-peptide was at the bottom of the range which is why I know I'm LADA as I'm also slim etc. So if your GAD comes back negative ask for the c-peptide test if they haven't done that. It does sound like LADA is likely. Don't worry about injections as the 4mm very thin needle is not the same as standard NHS injection; the worst bit is the finger-prick lancet!

NixiHB

I agree that at the moment for you it may be best to delay injecting. When I was diagnosed my readings must have been in the 30s and I was hyper so being below 20 is not good but unlikely to cause a short-term problem as lobng as it's not prolonged. As @ringi says, the GAD test by itself is not conclusive for T1 and must be accompanied by the c-peptide test. I had my two tests done privately and the GAD was negative but the c-peptide was at the bottom of the range which is why I know I'm LADA as I'm also slim etc. So if your GAD comes back negative ask for the c-peptide test if they haven't done that. It does sound like LADA is likely. Don't worry about injections as the 4mm very thin needle is not the same as standard NHS injection; the worst bit is the finger-prick lancet!
They only said about the antibody test but it was two bottles of blood so perhaps they took that one too. I hope they do because not knowing is completely tormenting me. I feel that my fear of the injection isn't the needle - it's more pushing something in. I seem to be okay with the blood tests and the lancets I have been fine with too. They gave me a monitor on MOnday so I have been doing a test twice a day - sometimes 3 if I need to do a ketone test too. Do you really think the are worse than the insulin injection? Thanks for your help

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They only said about the antibody test but it was two bottles of blood so perhaps they took that one too. I hope they do because not knowing is completely tormenting me. I feel that my fear of the injection isn't the needle - it's more pushing something in. I seem to be okay with the blood tests and the lancets I have been fine with too. They gave me a monitor on MOnday so I have been doing a test twice a day - sometimes 3 if I need to do a ketone test too. Do you really think the are worse than the insulin injection? Thanks for your help
Yes. I find the lancet usually hurts a bit whereas the insulin needle only hurts occasionally. The area where you inject becomes less sensitive over time. The amount you inject is typically very small so you hardly see the plunger move.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Personally, I think the lancet hurts more, on the whole, than the injection needle. Once I'd done the first few injections and got the hang of it I was fine with doing them.

My current team colleagues are now in awe of my nonchalant getting on with both after the day they all, at their request, had a blood test done with my spare meter. One also tried the injection needle and said the same, the lancet was worse.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what the diabetic nurse said it was just to test to see how my diet and the metformin is working in general, before deciding on diet as no diagnosis of T1 or T2. If I test after food I will panic as very high I would imagine? It's already high before food so will spike massively after food. At the moment cutting down on carbs as much as possible and totally cut out added sugar, so hoping that I will be able to control things with diet... Feeling very nervous about Monday!
Just test as the nurse told you at the moment because you are not testing to see how food reacts and you should not really change your diet yet as that will depend on your diabetes type Most of the diet information here is aimed mostly at T2's but is still not the official NHS recommendation so you may be told different by the nurse or doctor then what you do will be your own decision