First clinic

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey guys,
I have my first diabetic clinic on fri since being diagnosed a month ago. Have been on metform 500mg with breakfast.

Are there any questions i could ask?
Also will i get a blood sugar tester? so i will know my diets doing ok x

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
You may get one but most surgeries Don, t provide meters to type 2,s if you Don,t get one, most members buy the code free meter as the test strips are cheaper then other meter strips. Good luck for friday

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you having any blood (and urine) tests organised for the meeting? It is useful if the surgery arranges for that 2 weeks before the appointment so that the results can be discussed. Some surgeries arrange the blood test at the appointment which is pretty daft. If you do have a blood test do ask what the HBa1C result is. If cholesterol is discussed and readings given note the total number is not important it's the HDL, LDL and Trig numbers that matter and influence whether you decide to have them or not (note I said 'you' not 'they' as they are handed out like sweets. Good luck.

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

Yes ive had blood tests for cholestrol, hba1c (which was 77 when i got diagnosed) my liver eas on there and other onr for something separate.

Will they do another hba1c? Ive been on a strict diet aince 7th dec so would there be much of a difference since then?

Also, do i need to tell dvla of my type 2 now? X

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again. Good that you did have an HBa1C. Sounds like they may not do another one this time but in the early days with high sugar they sometimes do it every 3 months. Yes, recent dieting should influence a new HBa1C. Although it is a 3-month average measure, this is weighted to the most recent month due to red corpuscle life-cycle. Yes, you should tell your insurance company, travel insurer and DVLA. Look at the DVLA website first. In practice the DVLA don't care unless you are on insulin or Gliclazide tablets, but do check the website to see the latest rules.

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi again. Good that you did have an HBa1C. Sounds like they may not do another one this time but in the early days with high sugar they sometimes do it every 3 months. Yes, recent dieting should influence a new HBa1C. Although it is a 3-month average measure, this is weighted to the most recent month due to red corpuscle life-cycle. Yes, you should tell your insurance company, travel insurer and DVLA. Look at the DVLA website first. In practice the DVLA don't care unless you are on insulin or Gliclazide tablets, but do check the website to see the latest rules.
Thank you for the advice i will get everything sorted bit by bit now hopefully Friday i will know a lot more and ive goy my food diary to show the nurse