First hba1c since treatment Scan update

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As lots of you know I've had the worst year ever. Hubby was really ill and I nearly lost him back in March. He has mostly recovered now but it's been a long haul.
That put my hba1c up to 50 due to the stress. I was previously 48.. no meds just LCHF diet

Then I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in May and have spent most of the summer having scans, chemo and radiotherapy, including steroids.. not able to eat low carb at all, as most things were trying to find the fastest way out again.

OK.. first diabetic check up since then and I was dreading the results, .. 53 .. not good but the nurse was impressed as I'm still not on any medication and she said the steroids would have been a problem.. Very true, I took my readings on the steroid days and was horrified to see 15's ! Never had that before.

I have my first MRI scan tomorrow since treatment and hopefully it will be good. I'm feeling OK. back to dancing and walking but diet is still a problem.

I was determined to have a really good low carb day today.

Breakfast. Bulletproof coffee, with cream and coconut oil
Lunch. Piece of pork with Lidl low carb cheese coleslaw
Dinner. Stuffed mushroom on a bed of leeks.. Quarter of a leek sliced , field mushroom on top. 97% pork chipolata flattened inside, slice of streaky bacon and some grated cheddar.

Now what part of that upset me I'm not sure. It would have been a normal day for me before pelvic irradiation.. but I went out on my evening walk and literally had to run home ! Good job the loo is opposite the front door !

I guess more patience and experimentation is needed, but I really miss my LCHF.

Update.
Results of my scan were mainly positive. The large cervical tumour has gone. The lymph node has shrunk but not gone yet. Consultant said that the radiation continues working for a long time and it may carry on shrinking. I have to have another Mri in 3 months and appointment just after that. I'm feeling well and back to dancing and walking so just need to put it to the back of my mind for a while.
Food continues to be a problem but I'm getting there. Doc said that is the radiation too.
Happy to be drug free and mostly around 80 - 100 g carbs a day. Although it's difficult to get a balance on the food my tummy will tolerate now.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope your scan goes ok tomorrow. You’ve really been through the mill, sounds like things are finally looking up for you both x

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My very best wishes for your scan tomorrow, it seems you must be first in line for some good news after the year you have had so far. Your attitude in the face of so much stress truly humbles me and I find it most admirable, well done. You're A1c is just incredible after the stress that your body must have gone through.
I will be thinking of you tomorrow and I wish you and your hubby the very best of health for the future.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, your courage and determination are awesome and good luck today.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope all is going well today.
53 isn't bad at all, particularly in view of the year you have had, so keep going with whatever works best for you, and all the very best.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I got my days in a muddle and scan is tomorrow .. Wednesday at 5.45.. I haven't actually got an appointment with the oncologist until January 10th but I'm hoping they'll tell me something before then !

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Good luck for tomorrow Daisyduck.

Reactions: Prem51

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Blessings, Daisyduck. Praying you get good results and keep up the good work - your menu sounded yummy for the day! I have severe IBS so can fully understand the annoyance of rushing to the loo....not fun, but it is just really one day at a time, right? Sometimes it gets down to one step at a time. Hang in there/L

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I got my days in a muddle and scan is tomorrow .. Wednesday at 5.45.. I haven't actually got an appointment with the oncologist until January 10th but I'm hoping they'll tell me something before then !

You could always ask when you to tomorrow if you'll have any feedback before January, as the waiting will, quite naturally, be rather tense.

Good luck with it. You've done really well through all of this.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
As lots of you know I've had the worst year ever. Hubby was really ill and I nearly lost him back in March. He has mostly recovered now but it's been a long haul.
That put my hba1c up to 50 due to the stress. I was previously 48.. no meds just LCHF diet

Then I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in May and have spent most of the summer having scans, chemo and radiotherapy, including steroids.. not able to eat low carb at all, as most things were trying to find the fastest way out again.

OK.. first diabetic check up since then and I was dreading the results, .. 53 .. not good but the nurse was impressed as I'm still not on any medication and she said the steroids would have been a problem.. Very true, I took my readings on the steroid days and was horrified to see 15's ! Never had that before.

I have my first MRI scan tomorrow since treatment and hopefully it will be good. I'm feeling OK. back to dancing and walking but diet is still a problem.

I was determined to have a really good low carb day today.

Breakfast. Bulletproof coffee, with cream and coconut oil
Lunch. Piece of pork with Lidl low carb cheese coleslaw
Dinner. Stuffed mushroom on a bed of leeks.. Quarter of a leek sliced , field mushroom on top. 97% pork chipolata flattened inside, slice of streaky bacon and some grated cheddar.

Now what part of that upset me I'm not sure. It would have been a normal day for me before pelvic irradiation.. but I went out on my evening walk and literally had to run home ! Good job the loo is opposite the front door !

I guess more patience and experimentation is needed, but I really miss my LCHF.

I hope it all starts going in the right direction, pal. Sometimes, whatever is going on, we just need to eat what we can and take the meds we need to. Take care.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@daisyduck I also think you could ask if you can have your results before you see the consultant in January. It is highly likely that when the results are ready the oncologist will look at them straight away and will send a letter to your GP. You can ask for a copy of this letter. (If you don't ask, you won't get) but all such copy letters can be obtained providing you ask.
The other alternative is to ring the oncologist's secretary and ask for the results over the phone.

Good luck today. :)

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@daisyduck I also think you could ask if you can have your results before you see the consultant in January. It is highly likely that when the results are ready the oncologist will look at them straight away and will send a letter to your GP. You can ask for a copy of this letter. (If you don't ask, you won't get) but all such copy letters can be obtained providing you ask.
The other alternative is to ring the oncologist's secretary and ask for the results over the phone.

Good luck today. :)

Thanks @Bluetit1802 I'll do that. I intend to ask at the scan today, but I know some won't say anything. The lady who did my pre treatment ultrasound was lovely and took time to show me all the pictures.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from the hospital now. MRI scanner was running about an hour late. They couldn't tell or show me anything as they said it has to be compiled by computer before anyone can analyse it. The scan took about half an hour but they played sixties music for me and I nearly dozed off :)

Reactions: johnpol