First holiday abroad since diagnosis!

bdubz31

Hi guys, I have been living with type 1 diabetes for almost 2 months now and I am about to go on my first holiday since diagnosis! I am travelling to the USA for a week and was just wondering what everyone's best tips and tricks are?
I am slightly nervous about getting through airport security however I know this is just me being silly. Is it fine to go through security with snacks for the plane or will I need to buy this once I'm through? I have bought some glucotabs in case of any hypos presuming that they will be allowed through as they're solid.
Also, I was speaking to my diabetes nurse today and she mentioned to look over my travel insurance as she said in the USA they would charge for the cost of insulin - looking at my insurance it states that it does not cover 'the cost of any medication or drugs which at the start of your trip you know you will need'. Does anyone have any advice on good insurance companies to go with if I need to get a new one?

Thanks in advance!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im not an insulin user so cant help with the meds side of things but I am on meds that can cause hypos so have to take a snack onboard long flights just in case
On a recent flight I came up against a situation that taught me to ensure that in future I have a nut free snack with me - another passenger had a severe peanut allergy so everyone on board was banned from opening anything containing nuts as the other passanger would react to airbone nut particles. I only had a nut bar with me - luckily it was only a 4 hour flight and my sugars stood up ok

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also be sure to declare any food you still have with you on arrival in the US. Last summer they were happy for me to take in commercially packaged nuts but my pork crackling (also commercially packaged) was taken off me. Apparently could result in fines if found and not declared.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @bdubz31, my top tip would be take plenty of supplies! The USA is probably the easiest places to get replacements of items but they will be super pricey in my experience.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Check your travel insurance cover you, as otherwise if you get ill in the USA it is VERY costly.

D

Deleted Account

My top tip would be to read the pages on diabetes and travel on diabetes.co.uk under “living with diabetes”.
This website is amazing. It has the forum with great contributors and it has a wonderful under used library of information about diabetes.

My second top tip is to have fun.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Hi. I'm going to assume you are not wearing a CGM or pump as you are a newbie, so that shouldn't be a problem with security (if you get these later, you'll have to go for the full body scan). My advice is: bring a lot of glucose tabs, wear a medical ID bracelet, don't forget your insulin pens only last a month without refrigeration. Bring extra needles and test strips. I travel with a ton of snacks. Keep everything in your carry on, not in checked luggage. I allow my blood sugar to be higher on the road because I don't want to go low. I almost passed out in the airport in Lisbon a few months ago. Have fun!!

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
...and welcome to America!!!!!!!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi bdubz31
Make sure you take extra needles test strips and insulin you must carry these in your hand luggage insulin and needles need to be in clear plastic bag also get a letter off your diabetes team stating that you will be carrying these things yo wont be able to carry drinks through security but can purchase when through other hypo things such as glucotabs/gel jellybabies etc are fine have a fabulous holiday