First of many questions!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Well done!

Don't worry if its a BIT higher when you wake up tomorrow its called the dawn phenomenon (DP) and is really irritating.

Really helpfully (not) your brain issues instructions to your liver at around 4.00am to dump glucose into your blood stream so that you have energy available when you wake up. It does this even if you already have a high level which is particularly stupid of it imo.

Have some breakfast and maybe go for a 5 minute walk that causes you a little exertion (walk fast!) especially if you know your going to be pretty sedentary until lunchtime as this will help start your systems up. That way you can clear the DP level to a lower BG level faster. Remember you want your fasting level as low as possible for as long as possible. Of course if you want to do more than a little exertion in the walk or have a longer walk feel free but take it steady at first if you're not use to it.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks

Are there any guidelines for what is an acceptable/unacceptable "Spike" after eating?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
helen louise said:
Are there any guidelines for what is an acceptable/unacceptable "Spike" after eating?

Yes the official IDF values (International Diabetic Federation)

Target Levels by Type Before meals (pre prandial) 2 hours after (post prandial)
Non-diabetic 4.0 to 5.9 mmol/L under 7.8 mmol/L*
Type 2 diabetes 4 to 7 mmol/L under 8.5 mmol/L
Type 1 diabetes 4 to 7 mmol/L under 9 mmol/L
Children w/ diabetes 4 to 8 mmol/L under 10 mmol/L

HOWEVER. The values were researched back in the 1970's and at the time there was a bit of an argument as they got set at the HIGH end of the safe ranges that were calculated.

There is a lot of extra research that has been done by lots of real scientists (I can provide a link if you want but its quite depressing stuff as it pulls no punches) that strongly suggests you need to be more careful. Basically it states.

The maximum 2 hour reading should really be 7.8 as that is where diabetic damage is known to start from.

Even that is high when you find out that 19 out of 20 non diabetics return to a 6.5 value after 2 hours. Now I have my BS levels down this is the maximum I aim for at every meal.

So considering the values you have been getting that's why you're getting all the advice from forum members to low carb NOW as effectively this will "detox" you as quickly as possible. It took me around 2 weeks of low carbing to get a 2 hour reading under 7.8 without any Metformin so don't worry if it doesn't happen straight away.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That makes depressing reading in itself!

I assume that if my levels don't keep below that mark dispite low carbing I am better to keep taking the metaformin so that the higher levels do not cause long term damage?

still no results back yet so haven't started taking them!

BG this morning prior to breakfast was 12.7

goboldly

I am quite recently diagnosed as T2 and not on Metaformin at the moment although GP offered them.
I am now thinking of asking for them because any spikes I do have would be lower

Thank goodness for this forum

Grazer

Metformin doesn't have a big effect on BG levels. It is said to lower them by no more than 1 or 2 mmols. Nowhere near as much as diet can do. However, they do help a bit, and have good preventative affects in terms of stopping cardio vascular disease long term. That's why in the States even pre-diabetics tend to be given them - not to lower BG, but help prevent future problems. They are a safe medicine, with the only downside being the well-known tummy issues for some people. So no reason NOT to take them really.

Pneu

Metformin can cause vit B12 deficiency in some cases.. however it has also been shown to be good at protecting heart health as well.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Don't worry you'll get there.

You have to look at the target levels as a challenge not as depressing. Each time you get a good reading congratulate yourself. I found turning it to a competition in my mind helped i.e. "I just broke my all time low BG record" however as a competitive male it maybe different for you! Importantly though each time you get a good result remember why it was good!

I went a month before Metformin was prescribed as it took that time to get an appointment with the diabetic nurse after the original diagnosis from my gp. If you begin to low carb then gradually day by day you will see your levels begin to come down. Once you get on the Metformin you should see the "spikiness" begin to diminish as well.

If you are low carbing and do not begin to see improvements then you need to go back to your gp.

On resisting bad things...

Been reading a book which says if you sit a child in a room with a sweet on a table and tell them not to eat it for as long as possible then have another set of children doing the same thing but you also tell them to imagine that the sweet is a "picture of a sweet" then those children hold out three times longer. Interesting maybe it works on adults as well!

goboldly

Thank you for your views on metformin .I agree that diet is part of the answer and
although not drastically low carbing (maybe soon?) I felt the benefit almost immediately

Once again Thank You

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you

Although My readings are still high, it was 15mmol this morning but the 2hr reading after breakfast was 15.3
can I assume that what I ate didn't spike me? or is it not a viable test as my levels are still high to start with?

My breakfast consisted of 2 slices of burgen bread (small loaf) & a tin of sardines in tom sauce

Grazer

Your fasting BGs are high it has to be said. Do you have the results yet? It could be you need some meds more than just Metformin to start to help get those BGs down. Can you chase for results? they don't normally take long.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Agree with Grazer they do look high. The +2 hour RISE of just 0.3 would be fine IF you had low fasting levels to start with. Chase them for the results.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm not taking the metaformin at the moment as GP told me not to start taking them until the results from my kidney/liver function tests come back

the only meds I'm taking is 40mg of gliclazide once per day

BG reading pre lunch was 10.9 today

rung surgery to be told that results are taking upto a week at the moment :shock:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
3hrs 8.5! its like a rollercoaster!

If i haven't eaten anything since lunch why would it be going up?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What did you have for lunch?

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some chicken meat only no skin or flavourings, boiled egg, salad comprising of leaves, cucumber, cherry toms, onion & about a tsp of salad cream

I must admit to a bad habit of eating lunch at the pc so tend to eat fairly slowly 30/45mins, I time the 2hrs from when I start eating as told by booklet I have & am now wondering if thats the problem!

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Now you've worried me. I normally measure 2 hours from when I finish and am wondering if that's right! Oh well never mind someone will tell us...

Lunch looks fine, maybe check the carbs in the salad cream to make sure it isn't salad cream flavoured sugar!

Hope your BG's dropped again. It can't be any fun having to wait for the test results but try not to worry too much. Keep letting people know how you're doing.