First of many questions!

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
xyzzy said:
Now you've worried me. I normally measure 2 hours from when I finish and am wondering if that's right!

I'm now further along in the book & it says to test 90mins to 2hrs after eating the food so I suppose if you are eating a meal within 30mins it probably isn't critical if you time it from when you start or finish :crazy:

Grazer

xyzzy said:
Now you've worried me. I normally measure 2 hours from when I finish and am wondering if that's right! Oh well never mind someone will tell us...

I've heard it both ways. Most seem to say 2 hours from when you start. Not sure it matters too much as different foods, as we know, take different times to reach peaks and then come down again. I started testing 2 hours after finishing, so have stuck to that as I want to make consistent comparisons. We're not trying to catch a peak of course, simply a "are we back to baseline" number.

alliebee

My endo consult, says always test 2 hours after you finished your meal, else you wont get a true reading of the foods consumed

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Results back

Confirmed diabetes & raised cholesterol, only spoke to receptionist so no other details, I have an appointment with diabetes nurse next thursday so will pick her brains then :cry:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
It means its far too high! My gp wants mine below 4 (is now 4.99 down from 7.something). The Swede's recommend < 3.5. Are you on any medication for it?

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

No apparently GP wants to see if it comes down with diet if not it will be meds, will speak to nurse about it next week

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you suffer from high blood pressure as well? I've been told the combination of diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure is not good...

Everyone has their own opinion on pills and drugs, my attitude is take the drugs as they do the job quickly so I take Simvastatin & Ramipril which are the two popular drugs prescribed for high cholesterol and high blood pressure each day. I realise some people have different viewpoints on this. Ramipril has been particularly effective for me. I was getting BP readings over 200/something (stress from work as I work for myself) a year ago now they are averaging around 130/75 on Ramipril

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
helen louise said:
Cholesterol level is 6.8 which means nothing to me!

At 6.8 it is rather high, they like people with diabetes to have a total cholesterol figure below 4. Did you do a fasting cholesterol check where they check your lipid breakdown?

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the post it note from last friday with my readings on it & it says 134/90 bear in mind that was taken after sitting in the surgery for 2hrs not knowing what the hell was going on :( the nurse took it again on monday & I didn't think to ask what the level was as I had too much else on my mind at the time but she did say it was a lot better than it was on the friday so who knows!

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
noblehead said:
helen louise said:
Cholesterol level is 6.8 which means nothing to me!

At 6.8 it is rather high, they like people with diabetes to have a total cholesterol figure below 4. Did you do a fasting cholesterol check where they check your lipid breakdown?

the test was done as part of the hospital blood test where I had to fast for 10rs but not sure exactly what tests they did

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
helen louise said:
the test was done as part of the hospital blood test where I had to fast for 10rs but not sure exactly what tests they did

They probably did do a full lipid breakdown, you could ask what your HDL, LDL and Triglyceride levels are when you visit the nurse next week.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
helen louise said:
I have the post it note from last friday with my readings on it & it says 134/90 bear in mind that was taken after sitting in the surgery for 2hrs not knowing what the hell was going on :( the nurse took it again on monday & I didn't think to ask what the level was as I had too much else on my mind at the time but she did say it was a lot better than it was on the friday so who knows!

134/90 in that stressful situation sounds ok especially if it had dropped back on Monday to a level the nurse saw fit to comment on so I wouldn't worry unduly about your BP, just get it checked out regularly would be my advice.

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers!

Just booked an eye test for sunday morning, not sure why but my eyes are terrible today very blurry, fine walking around but reading anything is a no go! had to zoom the screen up on my pc :( funny thing is the further away from the screen I am the clearer the text is!

One good thing is they have the photo's of my eyes from 2yrs ago & when making an appointment they had a quick look when I told them about the diabetes etc & they said I had no damage or diabetic signs at all at that time so perhaps the diabetes hasn't been going on for too long?

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very thorough eye test this morning & absolutely no eye damage at all caused by diabetes :D

Grazer

Eyes can get blurry ( particularly if you have newish glasses) as your BGs come DOWN. You get used to high BGs which blur vision, and can get prescription glasses for that vision. When BG lowers and vision improves, prescription is then wrong.
BTW, might be an idea to start a new thread for any new subjects so people with relevant knowledge can respond to title of thread.
Cheers!