First-phase insulin response

jammy1988

Hi! While I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes, given my horrendous diet up until a few months ago I wanted to check my glucose levels. While my fasting and 2hr postprandial levels seem pretty good, I have noticed that even with relatively low carb meals I seem to be experiencing notable spikes within those 2 hours. I have often tested at 30 mins and 1 hour, and on numerous occasions have measured spikes going up to 8.5.

I have often read that non-diabetics should not be seeing levels that high at any point, certainly not with low carb meals. Is this initial spike followed by a normal 2 hour reading a sign of an impaired first-phase insulin response?

If so, the problem is that no doctor would take it seriously (I doubt any of the standard tests they do would even look into it). Can changes in diet/exercise alone restore the first-phase insulin response?

Grazer

Think you may be worrying unneccesarily. Non-diabetics can have a large range of post-prandial rises from person to person. The key is that after 2 hours, a normal non-diabetic person should have their BG back below 7.8. If you are worried about the spikes beforehand you could do your own version of a glucose tolerance test. Drink a bottle of lucozade, then test every half hour 'till the 2 hour stage. If it rises above 11.2 for 2 tests on separate occasions in a row, then it's worth going to your doctor for a proper test. Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

neilalastair

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the western high carb diet.
i got a couple of 10's in my little chart i keep. i told my endocronologist. His reply - we can all hit a 10 sometimes. my hba1c is 5.3 so he is happy.
i have an endochronologist for a different endo problem but he takes an interest on how i am managing the type ii, especially as i have done it mostly with diet and exercise.