SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi everyone,
Another question from me, well I'm only 4 months in as a T1. I'm a fair-weather cyclist, a swimmer and gardener.. so not hugely into exercise but always use starirs and try and do my bit for my body.

So some info please:
what purpose does a fitbit serve?
is there any use in getting one?
If "yes", why?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
Another question from me, well I'm only 4 months in as a T1. I'm a fair-weather cyclist, a swimmer and gardener.. so not hugely into exercise but always use starirs and try and do my bit for my body.

So some info please:
If "yes", why?
I need to get one to see how many times a day I take off and put my glasses on my head.
Sorry. Couldn’t resist. It’s a running joke with me

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Vivofit, same sort of thing. It counts arm swing as you walk, so you could stand in your house and swing your arm and it will count. I found this out by doing my normal walk but it was cold so I had my hands in my pockets so accordingly I didn't go anywhere.

D

Deleted Account

By “Fitbit” I assume you mean any fitness tracker.
Each one has it’s own functionality and accuracy.

The value is just a way of tracking how much exercise you do and, in theory, as a result, motivate you to do more or maintain your level.
Some health insurance (e.g. Vitality) use this data to reduce your premiums or give you rewards. I see it like the car insurance which is cheaper when they attach a device to your car to track how you drive: you are less likely to have a car insurance claim if you drive carefully and less likely to have a health insurance claim if you keep yourself active.

I have a cheap “Fitbit” alternative. I exercise regularly but, as I work from home, I sometimes need something to remind me to get out of the house.
My partner has one and competes with his colleagues who walks the furthest. This doesn’t always mean they are the most healthy because the longest walks seem to be pub crawls.

If you are comfortable with the amount of exercise you do, I am not convince they are much use. But, if you want to do a bit more, they may help with motivation.

Biggles2

If "yes", why?
Hi @SueJB. I've seen a lot of interest recently in sleep quality and type 2 diabetes. One area where a Fitbit might be very useful is in sleep tracking and Fitbit is definitely moving into this space:
https://investor.fitbit.com/press/p...-Light-REM-and-Deep-Sleep-Stages/default.aspx

Here is a snippet from a recent interview with Fitbit's lead research scientist:
'Sleep apnea is characterized by pauses in breathing and shallow breath and comes with an increased risk of heart failure, obesity and strokes. One of the biggest concerns is that a lot of people don't realize they have it.
"We'd perform a useful public service by alerting users to the fact that they have a problem," said Conor Heneghan, Fitbit's lead research scientist, in an interview.'
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/20/fit...-apnea-to-expand-beyond-fitness-tracking.html

Here is a link to an informative article on sleep quality and type 2 diabetes:
https://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/type-2-diabetes-guide-healthy-habits/sleep-quality-matters/

There are several studies/journal articles out there regarding sleep quality and its effects on diabetes control. Here is a link to a recent one:
'Effects of diabetes mellitus on sleep quality':
Here is a snippet from the conclusion:
‘DM is one of the most common diseases worldwide. DM, in addition to causing direct sleep disturbances as a result of nocturia, polyuria, diabetic neuropathy and neuropathy pain, has also been associated with several chronic illness as obstructive sleep apnea, cardiovascular complications, hypertension, cerebrovascular accidents and depression which can impair sleep and quality of life. The patient may not bring the sleep issues during their visit to healthcare providers, with acute issues taking precedence during their visit.’
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4478581/pdf/WJD-6-868.pdf

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

So some info please:
If "yes", why?

I have an activity monitor, which isn't a Fitbit, but it does do some "fun" things.

I bought it after a presentation by a researcher commenting on exercise. His comments made me wonder how much I was actually doing, as opposed to what I thought I was doing. It seems sometimes I under and sometimes over estimate what I've been up to.

I know in my local diabetes group we discussed activity trackers and some found them motivational and others felt they were something to rebel against.

Like most things in life and diabetes, it's a personal choice.

(Erm,............. today I've not done as much moving around as usual, but it was sleeting when I was out!)

Reactions: SueJB

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
An early Xmas present in time for getting to know it well before spring and summer walking.
It's worth a try but moderate exercise log thread just as effective, for me.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do use a garmin vivofit, which tracks activity. It claims to be tracking steps, but as most of my exercise is in a swimming pool, not that accurate. What I do find useful is that it also tracks movement and sleep. I sleep a lot. It can also be synched with the app 'myfitnesspal' so I can monitor effects of diet and exercise. Data is then stored, so I have record of sleep and exercise along with calories in and out. Most useful is the red marker on the wristband that appears if I sit still for an hour. The red marker line increases every 15 minutes. It sort of goads me into getting up and moving. The daily steps target increases gradually as long as I meet the set target for any single day. It reduces when I have been less active, which really doesn't motivate me as much as a small static electric shock would. :wideyed:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do use a fitness tracker Mine counts steps indicates distance moved.calories burned tracks heart rate monitors sleep and checks blood pressure at regular intervals I find it gives me a good idea of how I.m doing but this one like most others isn't a precise instrument Just a general guide.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I spend £85 on a Fitbit I got a cheap one from Amazon for £14.99. search for

Fitness Tracker, AsiaLONG Non-bluetooth Pedometer

I haven't tried it on the bike yet as I have saddle issues.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have a Vivofit, same sort of thing. It counts arm swing as you walk, so you could stand in your house and swing your arm and it will count. I found this out by doing my normal walk but it was cold so I had my hands in my pockets so accordingly I didn't go anywhere.
But what's the point?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi @SueJB. I've seen a lot of interest recently in sleep quality and type 2 diabetes. One area where a Fitbit might be very useful is in sleep tracking and Fitbit is definitely moving into this space:
https://investor.fitbit.com/press/p...-Light-REM-and-Deep-Sleep-Stages/default.aspx

Here is a snippet from a recent interview with Fitbit's lead research scientist:
'Sleep apnea is characterized by pauses in breathing and shallow breath and comes with an increased risk of heart failure, obesity and strokes. One of the biggest concerns is that a lot of people don't realize they have it.
"We'd perform a useful public service by alerting users to the fact that they have a problem," said Conor Heneghan, Fitbit's lead research scientist, in an interview.'
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/20/fit...-apnea-to-expand-beyond-fitness-tracking.html

Here is a link to an informative article on sleep quality and type 2 diabetes:
https://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/type-2-diabetes-guide-healthy-habits/sleep-quality-matters/

There are several studies/journal articles out there regarding sleep quality and its effects on diabetes control. Here is a link to a recent one:
'Effects of diabetes mellitus on sleep quality':
Here is a snippet from the conclusion:
‘DM is one of the most common diseases worldwide. DM, in addition to causing direct sleep disturbances as a result of nocturia, polyuria, diabetic neuropathy and neuropathy pain, has also been associated with several chronic illness as obstructive sleep apnea, cardiovascular complications, hypertension, cerebrovascular accidents and depression which can impair sleep and quality of life. The patient may not bring the sleep issues during their visit to healthcare providers, with acute issues taking precedence during their visit.’
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4478581/pdf/WJD-6-868.pdf
Wow thanks for all the links. I sleep really well and always have done

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have an activity monitor, which isn't a Fitbit, but it does do some "fun" things.

I bought it after a presentation by a researcher commenting on exercise. His comments made me wonder how much I was actually doing, as opposed to what I thought I was doing. It seems sometimes I under and sometimes over estimate what I've been up to.

I know in my local diabetes group we discussed activity trackers and some found them motivational and others felt they were something to rebel against.

Like most things in life and diabetes, it's a personal choice.

(Erm,............. today I've not done as much moving around as usual, but it was sleeting when I was out!)
Thanks, I'm still undecided to buy or not

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I do use a garmin vivofit, which tracks activity. It claims to be tracking steps, but as most of my exercise is in a swimming pool, not that accurate. What I do find useful is that it also tracks movement and sleep. I sleep a lot. It can also be synched with the app 'myfitnesspal' so I can monitor effects of diet and exercise. Data is then stored, so I have record of sleep and exercise along with calories in and out. Most useful is the red marker on the wristband that appears if I sit still for an hour. The red marker line increases every 15 minutes. It sort of goads me into getting up and moving. The daily steps target increases gradually as long as I meet the set target for any single day. It reduces when I have been less active, which really doesn't motivate me as much as a small static electric shock would. :wideyed:
Great thanks, all that makes me think it might not be for me

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I will say having on gave me incentive to get out and walk and in that was a great help.

Reactions: Biggles2

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if you know you sleep and exercise well, it's fairly limited in its use.

I got one for Christmas, and it's been eye opening for me how sedentary I am (I work from home) and also how few hours I sleep. I am notorious in our house for sleeping in forever and therefore being a sleeping slug (which I'd related to diabetes), but I haven't actually had 8 hours total sleep a night since Christmas. I just go to bed very late and take a while to sleep. And settle into deep sleep just before everyone else wakes up!