Five To Drive?

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!
I've heard about this NICE guideline for drivers, five to drive. Thing is, if I tested before I went for a long drive (the 50 mile journey between work and home for example) and my readings were 5, I would not feel comfortable driving until I'd eaten and was between 7 and 8. After all, 5 is only one mmol off being hypo!
Does this guideline mean that it's ok to set off driving at 5 without eating anything beforehand? Because it's totally NOT (in my experience at least). Or does it mean that after eating something you must wait until being at least 5 to set off? It just concerns me that some people may be seeing the guideline and believe its ok. If it were 6 or 7 to drive, it would be less risky, but 5?
Just looking for some confirmation / information on this guideline, if anyone could reply with anything or share experiences then that would be great!
Thanks
Shannon x

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I only passed my driving test on Saturday, so am new to it. But if i am at 5, or slightly under i will set a temporary basil for the time period i am driving, and the amount depends on what i have been doing. If i am low 4's i will set a temporary basil and eat something too

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Shannon27, I discussed this with my DSN after being diagnosed as it was one of my concerns (I like driving and I do a decent amount most days). At the time my concern was mainly based around: if I were to get a 5.3 at 17:00, that is a snapshot at that moment. I don't have a Libre or CGM so I don't know whether that is 5.3 and stable, heading up or down.

We decided to set a target range throughout the day of 5-8 rather than the 4-7 I'd originally been working towards and this has mainly been working well for me. As far as I understand it you are actually allowed to drive if slightly below 5.0 if you have a small carby snack beforehand. Personally, I like to make sure I am closer to 6 than 5 before I will drive anyways and if I am close to the lower limit (even though technically deemed legal) I will still have something small (and likely made of slower acting carbs) to nudge it back up for the journey.

Edit: I suspect (but have nothing to confirm) that the guidelines are based around a number of assumptions including:
  • Your basal insulin is working effectively and keeping you fairly flat throughout the day.
  • You are able to determine when you still have active bolus insulin on board and can make a decision based on the test about what is currently happening before setting off.

Last edited:

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only passed my driving test on Saturday, so am new to it. But if i am at 5, or slightly under i will set a temporary basil for the time period i am driving, and the amount depends on what i have been doing. If i am low 4's i will set a temporary basil and eat something too
Belated well done @Amy993 :D

Reactions: Amy993

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We decided to set a target range throughout the day of 5-8 rather than the 4-7 I'd originally been working towards and this has mainly been working well for me.
This seems ideal for driving with! I generally don't carry food around in my car with me, mainly because I'm a greedy guts and will probably snack mid morning if I had it, with correction based on my readings :p I always have a full bottle of lucozade with me though which works wonders!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!
I've heard about this NICE guideline for drivers, five to drive. Thing is, if I tested before I went for a long drive (the 50 mile journey between work and home for example) and my readings were 5, I would not feel comfortable driving until I'd eaten and was between 7 and 8. After all, 5 is only one mmol off being hypo!
Does this guideline mean that it's ok to set off driving at 5 without eating anything beforehand? Because it's totally NOT (in my experience at least). Or does it mean that after eating something you must wait until being at least 5 to set off? It just concerns me that some people may be seeing the guideline and believe its ok. If it were 6 or 7 to drive, it would be less risky, but 5?
Just looking for some confirmation / information on this guideline, if anyone could reply with anything or share experiences then that would be great!
Thanks
Shannon x
I think what you're referring to is clarification on the following guidance?:

In each case if your blood glucose is 5.0mmol/l or less, take a snack. If lt is less than 4.0mmol/l or you feel hypoglycaemic, do not drive.

Having a snack is purely guidance, sensible guidance at that. Although it's not illegal to drive "on an empty stomach" with a BG of 4.6mmol/l for example.

What is illegal however is being behind the wheel, or in control of a vehicle whilst being in a hypoglycemic state.

I don't think it's personally all that risky setting off at 5mmol/l to drive, but then it's entirely dependant on your level of control. I'd normally have a swig of lucozade or the like at 5mmol/l, just to give me a little cushion in the event that my BG were to trend downwards whilst driving.

Just to clarify on what you've asked:

-It is absolutely legal to set of driving at 5mmol/l without eating something.
-You can legally drive with any BG value >/=4mmol/l

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...o-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals.pdf

Reactions: noblehead

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It can be very difficult to know exactly what to do when about to drive and your BS is quite low. If I'm between 4 and 5 I will consider when I last had my Bolus and whether that has now 'finished'. If so I will have some glucose tablets (always in the car) and drive; assuming I feel fine. If my Bolus may still be acting I will have several glucose tablets, wait 10-15 minutes and re-test. It has to be a judgement thing but I always have some carbs anyway if I'm below 5 to reduce risk. If I'm only a little over 5 I will also consider whether I may go lower whilst driving

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!
Thanks
Shannon x
It's a difficult one isn't it? I always test beforehand and I always have a spare meter and hypo kit in the car just in case. Fortunately haven't had to use them .

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like to be above 6 to drive. If I'm about to start a long journey, I'd think carefully about having a snack even if I was 5.

Better to run slightly higher in the car than risk killing yourself or others.

Reactions: Cumberland
D

Deleted Account

I think it is about knowing how your body reacts and interpreting the DVLA guidelines appropriately
In the right conditions, the DVLA recommendations are fine most of the time but I can think of situations when the guidelines make little sense.
- If it is some time since eating, I have no IOB and I have not been doing anything to lower my BG (e.g. exercise), I trust my basal setting not to reduce my BG further. So I am happy to drive with a BG of 5.0 (probably not lower).
- If I have IOB and a BG of 5.0, I will consider when and what I last ate. Then take a view.
- If I have just been exercising, I aim for a BG of above 6.0.

The DVLA doesn't give any guidelines about high BG. But I know driving with a high BG could be dangerous for me: blurred vision, feeling lethargic, dying for a wee, ...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've heard about this NICE guideline for drivers, five to drive. Thing is, if I tested before I went for a long drive (the 50 mile journey between work and home for example) and my readings were 5, I would not feel comfortable driving until I'd eaten and was between 7 and 8.

I would eat a small snack at 5mmol/l but wouldn't wait until I was between 7-8 as I know the snack would raise my bg anyway, this would be especially so if I was travelling from work to home (as in your example) and would have very little active insulin on board from the previous bolus dose.

Usually I like to be around 6 or above before setting off on a longish journey.