1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fizzy drinks.

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Andykopgod, May 30, 2020.

1. Andykopgod

Andykopgod Type 2 · Member

Hi everyone, im 3 weeks in, diagnosed type 2, im doing good, diet is under control, learning to drink plenty of water. But would just like to know, diet cola's, pepsi max, coke zero, are they defo off the menu? In strict moderation i was thinking, just to look forward to a rare treat. If not guys thats cool, im liking flavoured water, makes a nice change.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Perminder1

Perminder1 · Well-Known Member

Was thinking sane thing loved pepsi max bot too much before t2 diagnosis March 20

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andykopgod

I loved my full fat coke and pepsi, think thats what did me in the end, terrible drinks, but im hoping the odd glass of diet coke will be ok, fingers crossed

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Max do not have carbs in them but do have sweeteners, some find these diet drinks do not affect their sugar levels at all, some find the sweeteners do have an effect.
    Personally they do not affect my sugar levels, but you would need to test to find out whether the sweeteners affect your sugar levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #4 Rokaab, May 30, 2020 at 11:13 PM
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
  5. Andykopgod

Cheers. I had half glass of pepsi max with my salad and my sugars went to 6.9, so yeah its about finding out whats good and bad for my sugar levels, something im getting more aware of. To be honest since not having full fat coke iv felt loads better, more energy, better sleep, certainly wont be touching that stuff again. Thanks.

6. Perminder1

Perminder1 · Well-Known Member

Agree any sugar makes me feel sick since I dropped it in March 30... now might try a can of Pepsi max as a treat for old times sake ....then again

7. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Obviously don't touch the sugar cola again, but generally pepsi max and coke zero don't raise my levels at all, and I'm talking about drinking litres of the stuff at a time. I'm not saying you should do that, but as far as sugar levels go, they contain no sugar, and should certainly be safe in moderation. Good luck with it: the actual 'rules' are easy enough- if it contains carbs, avoid it. The more carbs, the worse it is.

8. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

I can certainly relate. I used to drink several Cokes a day. I now drink Coke Zero and Diet DP. They don't raise my blood sugar, but I still plan to cut back on them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I only drink Pepsi Max or Coke Zero and have done for decades! Enjoy!!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook