Flatulence !!

Cosy

Sorry to bring up this subject, but does anyone suffer from flatulence because of either their diebeties or medication for it. I am on that many pills I dont know which one it might be. I am talking LOUD and LONG .................

Cosy

He he I knew some of you would have to make funny comments, which I can appreciate ! But it really is embarassing. It is okay at home but getting a bit dodgy at work etc. Just wanted to know if it is a common thing with our condition or medication.

martinbuchan

Hi, my name is Martin and I am a recovering flatuholic.

Still on antibiotics for my bone infections (now on a smaller dose). These are clindamycin and ciprofloxacin (major bowel upsetters). So on a mix of probiotic capsules and brewers yeast tabs.

Mrs Buchan is very pleased to report a major improvement in eruptions- especially in night time emmisions - since starting these antioiotics last December.

Must be easier ways. My metformin had no effect on me( my DN calls glucophage fartophage).

Reactions: 2 people

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You don't use senna by any chance do you? That causes farting on the Richter scale!!

Cosy

I suppose I should not have posted about this as you are all taking the p - - - . I know it is better out than in and would be painfull if kept in. I will just take it that medication is causing it as no one actually seems to have this problem. Sorry to have to mention it again. Thanks.

Take care all you witty people. :lol:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Cosy,send me a list of your medication and I will check it out for you.

rainbow fish

My doctor just increased my metformin again and the flatulance has returned with a vengence! AM I right in thinking it will all blow over with time? ho ho ho serious question though! It seems to have improved a few weeks after the dose has increased. Also, I read that metformin was developed to aid weightloss and my weight loss has really hit plateau since I started taking it, which is 6 weeks now. Any clues about what's going on with that? :shock:

By the way, here's my favourite joke which pops into my mind every five minutes these days:

An old lady goes to her doctor and says "Doctor, I have a problem with uncontrollable passing wind. Actually its not such a big problem as they don't smell and they are silent. Still, if there's something you can do that would be for the best." Doctor gives her some pills and she comes back a week later.
THe lady is distraught. SHe says "Doctor, what have you done? I am still passing wind but now it STINKS!" The doctor says "Good. Thats your sinuses cleared up, now lets tackle your hearing!"

( I used to be boris von hessen, had to start again for the new system. )

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Nice one Rainbow (Boris),

All joking apart, Metformin is quite notorious for causing flatuence in some people. I have taken both metformin and glucophage and had no problems whatsoever - maybe I was just lucky (or maybe I also need to get my sinuses and ears checked!).

Several people recently have mentioned that metformin was originally developed as a weight loss drug and I'm not sure where that comes from because all my research says it is just not true. It was developed in 1957 as a diabetes treatment and was first marketed in France in 1979. It is said to be able to reduce weight on very rare occasions, but so rare that it is always marketed as being weight-neutral.

rainbow fish

thanks for the information Dennis, I'm not sure where I read about the development of the drug but it did seem unlikely, or at least unfair, that my weight loss should stop when the drug started. In any case I believe the gastric side effects can be much worse than I've had so I'm not complaining, there are good indications from my BSL readings that the current dose (500mg am + 1000mg pm) will get me into the ideal zone. And here in Germany you can read the command "fahrt" on almost every road sign, it means drive as well as way in / way out etc etc. :twisted:

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
If it helps, carrot seeds are supposed to supress wind.

DO NOT EAT BEANS, ESPECIALLY WITH EGGS.

Wow, that stinks.

And yes, I do fart a lot, but that's due to ingestion of soya products, as I an not on metformin.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
flatulence is a serious problem - it's about time someone kicked up a stink about it. :mrgreen:
my gran used to deal with her chronic flatulence with a pair of ear defenders and a clothes peg.
and we used to deal with her chronic flatulence by never going to see her.

hope this helps :wink:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Try increasing bran, beans etc to aggravate the symptoms, then when you reduce, you may cope better. :roll:

I eat substantial amounts of vegetables, oat bran, fruit, multigrain bread, & the problem is minimal.

rainbow fish

are you also taking metformin Ian D? My diet is also based on all those types of food, so this side effect seems related primarily to the medication unfortunately as it has increased with the dose.
so.... this is what Saturday nights have become for me! Discussions about gas :roll:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Metformin - 500 mg with lunch & 1000 mg with evening meal.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
An old fashioned remedy was to eat charcoal biscuits.I don't know if they still exist or even how much carbs would be in them.