Flawed Logic

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Another day, another misguided health initiative. Sigh.

On the TV news this evening I watched a story about a FSA proposal to require restaurants to publish calorie counts for the items on their menus. Yes, really.
To demonstrate the great benefit to us, the dimwitted public, we were shown three dishes - steak and chips at 530 calories, ham and cabbage at 620, and a puffed meringue with caramel sauce at 410 calories.

The implication of course was that low calorie is a better choice. With the option of only one of those three dishes, the weight/health conscious might be forgiven for opting for the lower calorie meringue, about 2/3 of the calories in the ham dish. No appreciation or understanding of the real issues, the effect on blood sugar and insulin.

Elsewhere on the BBC website, in the Healthy Living department, the message is reinforced. Faced with the dread prospect of fatty meats as a starter to your low calorie meal,
Alternatively, fill up on breadsticks and wholegrain bread (no butter).

It's almost enough to make you turn over to ITV :shock:

All the best,

fergus

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Unfortunately when you are my size and try and use the 'fat does not make you fat' line you get the quizzical upraised eye brow and the 'Oh yeh so what happened to you then' line! Only when I have lost all the weight and look like a racing snake will I get away with that one! The irony is that I don't /can't eat a lot of fat anyway!!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Unfortunately when you are my size and try and use the 'fat does not make you fat' line you get the quizzical upraised eye brow and the 'Oh yeh so what happened to you then' line! Only when I have lost all the weight and look like a racing snake will I get away with that one! The irony is that I don't /can't eat a lot of fat anyway!!

Cheer up Sue - we love you
icon_th_6.gif

Perhaps this hit from 1975 will tip the scales

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Yes Sue!
they don't believe me either when I have whipped cream in my coffee.

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
hi everyone,
i sometimes wonder if there are actually any researchers in television! at all!
p.x