Flax seed

Jeff6016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Anyone have positive results with incorporating flax seed in their diet? I read that there are mixed results iro blood sugar reduction.
Best
Jeff

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Anyone have positive results with incorporating flax seed in their diet? I read that there are mixed results iro blood sugar reduction.
Best
Jeff

I doubt it has many or any blood sugar reduction properties, but it is good for lowering LDL, raising HDL, and is also full of fibre. I use it by adding a heaped dessertspoonful to my yogurt, stirring it in well. Be careful not to overdose or you may be chained to the bathroom!

Reactions: dbr10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it has nil or almost nil blood glucose impact (depends what I eat it with, of course).
Makes delicious low carb crackers, and boy does it regularise things ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The milled version is an excellent thickener for sauces, soups and stews! It's also very filling, which I find useful.

:)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
One tablespoon of milled Flaxseed has approximately 1.8 grams of Omega-3 fatty acids that's why I use it a lot not to reduce bg as I don't think it does.

It also has a lot of iron and antioxidants as well.

Edit to add that it has been suggested that it may have a moderate beneficial effect on blood sugars

Last edited:

dipsydo

I find a couple of heaped teaspoons in water help as an alternative to bran and much more pleasant. However I have not noticed any particular impact on blood sugars for me.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
anyone recommend the flaxseed oil capsules? - can't seem to stomach the actual seeds (no pun intended !)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
anyone recommend the flaxseed oil capsules? - can't seem to stomach the actual seeds (no pun intended !)

Is it the actual seeds, or the ground (milled) seeds you have problems with? I use milled seeds and find if I sprinkle them over my foods I can't even taste them.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it the actual seeds, or the ground (milled) seeds you have problems with? I use milled seeds and find if I sprinkle them over my foods I can't even taste them.
To be honest it's more to do with WHAT to sprinkle them on (don't eat cereal, yoghurt, etc) as well as ease of 'delivery' taking tablets is so much easier and I'll fallen foul of the 'you don't even taste it' thing (coconut flour!!! Uuuurk!)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a dessertspoon full of milled Flaxseed/day, hoping for a beneficial effect on my next cholesterol result. It is good in home made soups, I really can’t taste it in a bowlful, and as mentioned above it’s a good thickener when you can’t use potato or flour. I’m not so keen on it in yoghurt, I think it spoils the creamy texture, but do resort to that if I’m not having a suitable savoury dish that day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest it's more to do with WHAT to sprinkle them on (don't eat cereal, yoghurt, etc) as well as ease of 'delivery' taking tablets is so much easier and I'll fallen foul of the 'you don't even taste it' thing (coconut flour!!! Uuuurk!)

I sprinkle it on lots of foods, tinned salmon, eggs, tomatoes, anything really. I use it like someone might use salt and pepper, except a bit more generously.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Makes delicious low carb crackers, and boy does it regularise things ;)

Same experience here. We bake the crackers in large batches, almost every day. (It is not the only seed in the recipe, but it is a key ingredient.)

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They look good! :hungry: How long do they keep? Do they need to be kept in the fridge?

We keep them in a biscuit tin. We eat them too fast to worry about conservation. A batch the size of a large oven pan barely lasts two days for two people.

We buy the ingredients in bulk, online (some of them in 4-pound bags). This is America, where everything is supersized.

Reactions: Salvia and Rachox

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If only some of these delicious sounding recipes come without any nutty ingredients. I can't eat nuts and that includes coconut. (Not allergic as such but they make me want to heave as soon as they touch my tongue. A life-long issue with me)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We keep them in a biscuit tin. We eat them too fast to worry about conservation. A batch the size of a large oven pan barely lasts two days for two people.

We buy the ingredients in bulk, online (some of them in 4-pound bags). This is America, where everything is supersized.
Do you find you need to cut them when they are still warm? Just tried the recipe and they are a bit difficult to cut once they have started cooling. I just used flax and ground almonds with some chilli flakes and garlic granules they taste pretty yum.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If only some of these delicious sounding recipes come without any nutty ingredients. I can't eat nuts and that includes coconut. (Not allergic as such but they make me want to heave as soon as they touch my tongue. A life-long issue with me)

That's tricky. We have had some success with "keto cheesy party crackers." Unfortunately these do contain almond flour and "flaxmeal" which I assume you will not tolerate.

The recipe is here: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/12/29/keto-cheesy-party-crackers.

We don't like these as much as the recipe in my earlier post, but they have the advantage of being stand-alone snack food. The seed crackers in the earlier recipe are best eaten with some kind of topping such as cheese (although they are quite addictive; you can also eat them plain).

Reactions: charliebarker

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you find you need to cut them when they are still warm? Just tried the recipe and they are a bit difficult to cut once they have started cooling. I just used flax and ground almonds with some chilli flakes and garlic granules they taste pretty yum.

We usually wait until they cool and then cut them with a pizza knife. However, don't expect to get neat, square crackers! We end up with all shapes and sizes but that is just part of the charm.

Edited to add: I think this is already in the recipe. You need to leave them in the oven after turning the oven off, and let the oven cool all the way back down to room temperature, before taking them out of the oven.