******FLEXLINK PLUS RE-CALL******

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi all,

has anyone else been informed that theflexlnk plus is being recalled because of problems in america?

My nurse called me last night to come into the clinic today to get some rapid-D sets, and to order some as accu-chek are re-calling the flex link plus cannulas and infusion sets, and to expect a letter to come from them to advise what to do with the ones i have at home (dispose or send back).

with this in mind my order arrived with two boxes of flex link plus and two assists that are now useless, i wasn't having any problems and apparently they haven't had any problems in the UK.

Apparently it's kinking problems and patients are finding they aren't getting their insulin properly.

I expected to see a post here already but i can't see one from anyone else thats all?

On a lighter note, i like the rapid-D as its easier to insert and its not as bulky :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Flexlinkplus re-call

Haven't seen anything official here yet.....however there have been reports from Members here previously about this product..........

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19102#p174221

If anybody knows anything about a recall.....please post it in this thread.

ebony321

Dislikes

I remember reading that when i was thinking of which cannula to use when i started, that's why i thought someone might have posted about this already.. my nurse said she was contacted by email from accu-chek and they have contacted all their patients using these cannulas advising to swap.

iHs

Well, what do you know. Thanks so much for posting that ebony. That set as lovely as it appears to look has caused so many problems for people.

If you have any probs with the Rapid Ds switch to Tenderlinks and use Xylocaine spray, Emla or Ametop gel :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

I have e-mailed Accu-Chek about this so will have to await a response.

barkbark

Spoke to Accu-Check, there is a recall being generally announced on Monday. A small number of users have encountered kinks which has caused issues. Apparently a letter will be sent to all people who have ordered them in the past on Monday, should arrive with people Tuesday. Personally had I have had no issues at all with the Flex-Link Plus but hey, back to Flex-Link for me as of tonight.

ebony321

Dislikes

iHs said:
Well, what do you know. Thanks so much for posting that ebony. That set as lovely as it appears to look has caused so many problems for people.

If you have any probs with the Rapid Ds switch to Tenderlinks and use Xylocaine spray, Emla or Ametop gel :)

May is ask what Xylocaine spray, Emla or Ametop gel is for? i'm a beginner you see :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Well, that makes me think that when I phoned accuchek and sent a few of mine back for them to look at, that they actually did look at them, and the information that I gave them. I am so glad that I did this 3 months ago, because it makes me feel better that it wasn't me.....and I did get told off I believe from people on here because I put in big fat capitals letters that I had established that it was the sets that we the problems, and got told of for writing...... IT NOT ME!!!!!

AND BOY OH BOY FROM THEIR RECALL, I DEFINITELY KNOW IT WASN'T ME!!!!!!!!

That has made my day....sorry for others that didn't realise what could possibly have being causing problems, but so glad I did and went to the rapid d's.......brilliant that they have recognised there are problems, but feel sorry for all those users now having to get used to the rapid d sets, as they are a totally different way of priming them.......

iHs

ebony321 said:
iHs said:

May is ask what Xylocaine spray, Emla or Ametop gel is for? i'm a beginner you see :)

Hi

They numb the skin so that you wont feel the introducer going in. :) Saves using a bag of frozen peas or ice block

barkbark

donnellysdogs said:
"but feel sorry for all those users now having to get used to the rapid d sets, as they are a totally different way of priming them......."

Why - use Flex Links which are not the same product and have the same priming approach. Flex Links have not been recalled, it is Flex Link Plus only so there is no need to change to Rapid D Sets unless you have a specific desire to do so.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

I recognised there was a problem with flexlink plus's causing me problems and I changed to rapid d's, and yes it was my choice to go to the rapid d's, they are superb by my opinion. It just makes me feel glad that I was able to establish myself that there was something wrong with those sets, as did others. I just in my self feel exonerated for moaning at the time, and asking if others were experiencing problems. I am just glad that I recognised there was a problem with those sets and changed. Please don't question my choice of what I changed to or the prhasing of what I just wrote, I am just glad that what I found as affecting my levels so badly at the time was an actual problem that they too have recognised at the end of the day.

ebony321

Dislikes

donnellysdogs said:
Well, that makes me think that when I phoned accuchek and sent a few of mine back for them to look at, that they actually did look at them, and the information that I gave them. I am so glad that I did this 3 months ago, because it makes me feel better that it wasn't me.....and I did get told off I believe from people on here because I put in big fat capitals letters that I had established that it was the sets that we the problems, and got told of for writing...... IT NOT ME!!!!!

AND BOY OH BOY FROM THEIR RECALL, I DEFINITELY KNOW IT WASN'T ME!!!!!!!!

That has made my day....sorry for others that didn't realise what could possibly have being causing problems, but so glad I did and went to the rapid d's.......brilliant that they have recognised there are problems, but feel sorry for all those users now having to get used to the rapid d sets, as they are a totally different way of priming them.......

Its a good thing people don't stick with things that aren't up to scratch, you should rightly raise concern when there is an issue!

I personally didn't have any problems with the flex link plus, but i do prefer the rapid-D for insertion, however i had no problems with priming as it's the same concept really and even better as you don't have to bolus a unit of insulin as you prime it all the way to the needle.

I chose the flex link plus because of the teflon cannula, as i didn't really like the idea of a steel one, but now i'm using it i still cant feel a thing so i'm happy with them, i might try the tenderlink in a while, but that puts me off a little as it's not 90degree but who knows aye :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Sorry, all I was trying to say, was that I feel exonerated at moaning on the posting about the fleixlink plus's and that I feel better knowing that I was right. And, that if users go from flexilink plus's to the rapid d's that they are different priming methods, that you prime them BEFORE they go in to the body, rather than priming a unit through afterwards.

In my glee of knowing I was right about thee being a problem with the flexilinks, I just wanted people to know if they change to rapid d make sure you prime correctly-as first time I didn't and I wasn't told of the different priming method by my DSN.

I think personally (my opinion only) that the rapid d's are much better than the flexi's, albeit they have to be changed every 2 hours.

Ebony you have actually made my day, although for others I don't envy them for having to do a changeover of type of set.

barkbark

donnellysdogs said:
Please don't question my choice of what I changed to or the prhasing of what I just wrote".

Well the joy of a forum is a person can question what they like and the way you worded your post was such that you implied people had to learn something new as a result of this recall - that is not the case. We all choose to treat our condition in a manner that works for us but if you express a view on a forum you have to be prepared to be questioned or have people express their thoughts on your view - that is the beauty of this medium and as long as you are not personally attacked in a post there is no issue.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Changed every 2 days-NOT every 2 hours...see, I'm so overwhelmed I can't type the correct time period of changing the rapid d's!!!

In everyday life a recall of a product like Toyota cars, may not be having such an impact on people's life's as wrong delivery of insulin. I am just glad that if one other person has been stopped from having an incorrect delivery of insulin given, then there actions by recalling is right.

ebony321

Dislikes

donnellysdogs said:
Sorry, all I was trying to say, was that I feel exonerated at moaning on the posting about the fleixlink plus's and that I feel better knowing that I was right. And, that if users go from flexilink plus's to the rapid d's that they are different priming methods, that you prime them BEFORE they go in to the body, rather than priming a unit through afterwards.

In my glee of knowing I was right about thee being a problem with the flexilinks, I just wanted people to know if they change to rapid d make sure you prime correctly-as first time I didn't and I wasn't told of the different priming method by my DSN.

I think personally (my opinion only) that the rapid d's are much better than the flexi's, albeit they have to be changed every 2 hours.

Ebony you have actually made my day, although for others I don't envy them for having to do a changeover of type of set.

I'm glad you feel your opinion based on personal experience has indeed proved that there is a fault with the product and not the user :) it's always nice to make someones day :lol:

my first thought was MY GOD, i've got to change this after only a few days of starting the pump, As i liked the flex link plus. So i understand how you mean that it may be a right pain in the bum to change something that was working for you to something else! but it wasn't as bad as i thought at all even for a beginner such as myself :)

i think a downside you have to change them every two days instead of three, but i do prefer them even after one day like yourself.

although i am annoyed that i ordered the flex link plus and assists on monday, and was not told over the phone that they were going to be re-called, maybe a fault in communication. but it would have saved both parties alot of messing around?

i'm also intruiged as to what this letter will say too!

iHs

I chose the flex link plus because of the teflon cannula, as i didn't really like the idea of a steel one, but now i'm using it i still cant feel a thing so i'm happy with them, i might try the tenderlink in a while, but that puts me off a little as it's not 90degree but who knows aye :)[/quote]

Ebony

Accu chek still do the original 8mm Flexlink set which is better than the Flexlink Plus as the adhesive is smaller and it uses a better insertion device. Not sure if you have chosen the Rapid D because of the 6mm needle or if the Flexlink 8mm is being made from the same cannula material as the Flexlink Plus?

ebony321

Dislikes

iHs said:
I chose the flex link plus because of the teflon cannula, as i didn't really like the idea of a steel one, but now i'm using it i still cant feel a thing so i'm happy with them, i might try the tenderlink in a while, but that puts me off a little as it's not 90degree but who knows aye :)

Ebony

Accu chek still do the original 8mm Flexlink set which is better than the Flexlink Plus as the adhesive is smaller and it uses a better insertion device. Not sure if you have chosen the Rapid D because of the 6mm needle or if the Flexlink 8mm is being made from the same cannula material as the Flexlink Plus?[/quote]

the nurse only had spares of the rapid-D so i was given what they had really, i wasn't aware there was a different teflon cannula that wasn't the tenderlink so i might have a try of those too!. i assume the flexlink plus was meant to be a 'step up' from the flex link?.

I did use 6mm needles on MDI but the 8mm cannula's on the flexlink plus were fine, so thats not much of an issue for me, i do like that the rapid-D is less bulky too.

Sort of feel like a kid in a candy shop with so much to try! :lol:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

I wonder what the letters will say, and whether pump users will be steered toward using the rapid d's. To be quite honest, if there was a problem with the flexlink plus cannulas, I hope they haven't got the same manufacturers making the flexlink ones.....

I am glad too, that I reported my problems to the MHRA. It was strange with me and others that we all started having occlusions about the same time...When I spoke to the MHRA lady investigating she told me at that point I was the only person in UK to complain.......I was asked by MHRA if they could give my contact details to Roche, and I agreed that they could, but I never heard anything from Roche to talk to me about what was happening when I had these high's. I did send Roche copies of my blood tests daily logs to help them when I returned samples from the boxes I was using.

It does disturb me though, that when I returned what I thought was faulty batches of cannulas to my hospital to send back to Accuchek, that they said that they would just redistribute them to other pump users........although the nurse had said that she could see I was being affected by them......

I will now be interested to find out if other pumpers are steered toward rapid d's rather than the flexlinks, be interesting to know, because I thought the only difference was the fact that the flexlink plus were meant to be safer to use because of the hidden introducer.....