Flu and Pneumonia Jabs

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,

I know diabetics are meant to get the flu jab each year, but are we also meant to have pneumonia jabs? Or can we pay to get pneumonia jabs? I read somewhere that we are meant to get both but i have only ever had the flu jab?

D

Deleted Account

I had the pneumonia jab the first year I was diagnosed with diabetes.
I believe, unlike the flu jab, it is only needed once.

It seems to be common to have it at the same time as a flu jab and it seems to be more common to experience flu type symptoms after the two jabs than when just having the flu jab which suggests the pneumonia one is more likely to cause a reaction.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, you should have the pneumonia jab, normally at the same time as the flu jab, but whereas we have annual flu jabs we only need one pneumonia jab.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At our surgery they leave 2 weeks between flu and pneumonia jabs which they have found reduces any complaints of arm ache.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have never been offered the pneumonia jab. I was offered the flu jab in the run up to winter 2017 but they made such a palaver over the appts I ended up not having it. I was offered it again at my last review in Feb 2019. I was surprised by how late this was in the season so, again, didn't have the jab.
I reckon I'm living on borrowed time 'ere!

Reactions: jjraak

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never been offered the pneumonia jab. I was offered the flu jab in the run up to winter 2017 but they made such a palaver over the appts I ended up not having it. I was offered it again at my last review in Feb 2019. I was surprised by how late this was in the season so, again, didn't have the jab.
I reckon I'm living on borrowed time 'ere!

At my surgery they don't send out reminders or invitations for the flu jab. When the season starts, about October, we just phone up and an appointment is given to us. The onus is on us, although it is well advertised and difficult to miss.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the one off pneumonia jab the first winter after diagnosis at a separate appt. to the flu jab. We get text reminders to book flu jabs each autumn.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We get text reminders to book flu jabs each autumn.

Yes, I should have said that in my post. Mr. Blue does get text reminders but I don't. The reason being they don't have my mobile phone number. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
At my surgery they don't send out reminders or invitations for the flu jab. When the season starts, about October, we just phone up and an appointment is given to us. The onus is on us, although it is well advertised and difficult to miss.

I got a text message the first year. As you know, I have avoided the surgery just a tad for the past 12 months. I did notice a sign once giving info on when the jabs would start to be available along with a begging message asking patients to have it done at the surgery rather than at a pharmacy. Chance would be a fine thing! Wrt appts.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the pneumonia one off jab but just get the annual flu jab at ASDAs now and free. Big plus is not mixing with sick people at the surgery and done at a time to suit me and not them.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first ever flu vac last autumn at Boots because the surgery were only offering two dates between Oct and Christmas. I thought there was an age threshold for pneumonia vac, not saying you are all old though!!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey guys,

I know diabetics are meant to get the flu jab each year, but are we also meant to have pneumonia jabs? Or can we pay to get pneumonia jabs? I read somewhere that we are meant to get both but i have only ever had the flu jab?

Just to confirm, you don’t HAVE to have them. It is a choice and I’d recommend reading up about it before you have any jab/medication and make an informed decision. Never had one myself.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought there was an age threshold for pneumonia vac, not saying you are all old though!!

For healthy people the age range is 65 and over for a free one. However, diabetics and those with other chronic ailments are entitled no matter how old or young they are. Or at least they were the rules when I had mine as soon as I became 65. (before diabetes struck)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to know wasn't aware about the pneumonia jab.

I get the flu jab, under 60 but asthmatic.
Not caused any issues last few years.

But I did have bad asthma attack a few years back and since dose up with plenty of proper ginger tea.. not had a cold since..just the odd sniffles.

So one of them is doing me some good :D

Reactions: Bluetit1802
D

Deleted member 308541

My next fluvax shot is due towards the end of April, I also have had the two pneumovax shots so no more of them.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve not been offered the pneumonia jab but my husband, who has heart probs and asthma, had one a few years ago. I have the flu jab though if I can get to the surgery when they’re doing them

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to confirm, you don’t HAVE to have them. It is a choice and I’d recommend reading up about it before you have any jab/medication and make an informed decision. Never had one myself.
Having had proper flu many years ago and then a relapse that turned into pneumonia over the next few weeks, I have no problem deciding to have the jab.

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys! I asked my mum if i have ever had one and apparently had one when i was first diagnosed. That was 8 almost 9 years ago now so i’m assuming i don’t need to get another one?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you guys! I asked my mum if i have ever had one and apparently had one when i was first diagnosed. That was 8 almost 9 years ago now so i’m assuming i don’t need to get another one?

If you had one in the past, it will be on your medical records. A quick phone call to your surgery should give you the answer