Flu jab

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have flu jab every year and not had issues. I am a fairly young and fit male though which may impact my response to the jab

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I've had the same issues as Eddie, I've been ventilated in ICU because of my asthma causing respiratory failure. I also had flu about ten years ago and it nearly finished me off, I was bed bound for nearly three weeks because of the effect it had on my breathing. For me, there's no contest. I've not had side effects from the jab but even if I did, they wouldn't be life threatening like flu.

I had mine 2 weeks ago and was fine.

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
I've had the same issues as Eddie, I've been ventilated in ICU because of my asthma causing respiratory failure. I also had flu about ten years ago and it nearly finished me off, I was bed bound for nearly three weeks because of the effect it had on my breathing. For me, there's no contest. I've not had side effects from the jab but even if I did, they wouldn't be life threatening like flu.

I had mine 2 weeks ago and was fine.

Ladybird, my son has asthma; never gets the flu jab. Can you tag the post from Eddie/ventilated in ICU
Thanks.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Ladybird, my son has asthma; never gets the flu jab. Can you tag the post from Eddie/ventilated in ICU
Thanks.[/QUOTE

I don't know how to do it Al! Just on my way out, leave instructions please - his post is earlier in this thread.

Reactions: 2 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Had my first flu jab on Wednesday only thing I noticed last night was my arm pits were a bit tender, been fine, after discussion with the nurse its vital us diabetics have it

Marjack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant attitudes towards other people
I have had the flu jab for the last two years as I also have asthma that was diagnosed 2 years ago. I have not had any reaction. Have just been diagnosed as type 2 now so I need the protection more. I also have heard of other people having adverse reactions, but I think it is like any medication, it doesn't suit everybody.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i had problems with the jab years ago. i had it twice, both led to very inconvenient and difficult approx 8 weeks of gradually increasing insulin need, ending in my using nearly double insulin for a bit, then a drop to normal, which would have been ok if that had been the end of it, but then i developed a sort of post viral problem both times, one of which was serious, went white as a sheet for months, exhausted etc. brain did not work well. stopped any jabs then for over 20 years. Then in 2009 I did have the first half (there were 2 shots) of the safer type of swine flu jab - my arm swelled up and was stiff and difficult to move so my GP said not to have the 2nd). But i was ok after that. Not had one since. Would like to find one safe for me.

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Used to have the flu jab, but it made me feel so ill and messed up my blood sugars that I've not had it now for 7 years, and never had the flu either

Happy25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Astonished each year at the BS about the flu jab giving one the flu. It does not. A cold is a cold and anyone who ever had flu knows the difference. I laugh at meeting people out who say they have the flu. I reassure them they do not as if they did they would not be standing.

I've had the flu shot for 30 years as it was dispensed free through work ( this was not driven by anything but self interest - we had a sick pay scheme that paid out for 6 months and they preferred us to be at work). I always get a sore arm for a day or so after the shot and may also feel a little queasy, nothing that some paracetamol would not sort. All trivial compared to a real flu that I have had once in that period (rem 80% protection not 100%) and I never want to have again. All before I was diagnosed T2.

I am aware that there are people who do have adverse reactions, nasty ones, I am married to such a person. She does not get the flu shot anymore but for anyone who risks flu to avoid a one day sore arm - you are thick!

I understand the pneumonia jab covers 5 years. At least I get it every 5 years. No reaction worth mentioning.

If you want a reaction try a Yellow Fever shot !!

I had to listen to a story last weekend that the senior panel in the local rugby club all went down with the flu after their shot. My response was that that explains why they are ****, they must be ***** cats if they believe that had flu.:p

yellowcanary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only diagnosed type 2 in April and didn't even know the flu vaccine was recommended until reading this post. I have now discovered it is recommended because we're at greater risks of flu complications and three times more likely to die from pneumonia. Oh joy. Just when I think I'm getting to grips with this condition, I find out something else :(

Diabetes, the condition that just keeps on giving!
I was also diagnosed in April 2015 and wasn't aware of the flu jab being available until I was at the surgery having stitches taken out and the nurse said don't forget the flu jab. I actually ended up having it in a local pharmacy instead due to a bit of a mix-up and only suffered a sore arm for a few days.

Happy25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chin up! I thought the world had ended when I was diagnosed in 2002. Do the right things and this can be licked.
The scary thing about T2 is having it and not knowing in time.:D

Ajay76

Averaged out over the year, 80 people per day died of the flu or pneumonia in 2014… get it.
Can anyone advise me please I am type1 and been offered flu jab but I have heard so many things from people that have had it some good some bad I really dnt know to have it or not many thanx

niccolino

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Destruction to nature and wildlife.
I'm between the devil and the deep blue sea - I can't have the flu jab as I have M.E & Fibro Myalgia (as well as type 2 diab) as it would affect those conditions dreadfully. I had the flu 17yrs ago and it resulted in a bad relapse but I still won't put something into my body which caused me to get so ill in the first place as it takes literally years to get over, so I take my chances, hope and pray. Everyone's different though and you have to do what you think is best for you.

Reactions: 4 people

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had the flu jab once then went down with flu! I know, I know, they say it's nothing to do with having the jab but that's the only time in my life that I've had flu and it was awful.

I usually catch a cold or two during the winter, who doesn't, but I was really ill so OH called the doc, who actually came out (we lived about 200 yards from the surgery so not a long trip for him). Told me I had the flu and should get the jab :confused: :rolleyes: :arghh: :banghead: :hilarious:

Never again for me.

Reactions: 4 people

betty_boo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was only diagnosed type 2 in April and didn't even know the flu vaccine was recommended until reading this post. I have now discovered it is recommended because we're at greater risks of flu complications and three times more likely to die from pneumonia. Oh joy. Just when I think I'm getting to grips with this condition, I find out something else :(

Diabetes, the condition that just keeps on giving!
Me too didn't know until I had my check up nurse Said u had your flu jab? And I was just like eh

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've had the flu jab once then went down with flu! I know, I know, they say it's nothing to do with having the jab but that's the only time in my life that I've had flu and it was awful.

Keep in mind that the vaccine takes around 3 weeks to work.