fluctuating blood sugar

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
How normal is it that non-diabetics experience both hypo- and hyperglycemia?

I have fluctuating blood sugar, and it can go from hyper to hypo in just half an hour. I usually were a snack or soft drink with me, but I don't get why I get such high numbers (15.6 mmol highest reading I think) when I am a RH. Is that normal?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Emile,
Nice to hear from you again.
As a non diabetic with RH. Before diagnosis I would have really wild fluctuating blood levels, my hypo hell.

For someone that is termed as non diabetic without RH. Yes it does happen when overloaded with carbs and sugars. It will only be a problem if it creates problems with insulin and glucose levels are consistently high for too long.

For us it is usual because we are not normal in the sense that we produce too much insulin, hence the hypos.
We must cut out as much carbs and sugars as possible and keep our blood levels to near normal levels as much as possible. This will prevent the hypers and stop the hypos.
Prevention is better than correction. Taking soft drinks and quick acting carbs will only exacerbate the situation. It will rebound and yo yo your bloods again.
Eat to your meter. Go really low carb, the health benefits are brilliant!
15.6 is not good!
If you could give us a typical days food, we will advise you what is good and what is not!
You say it is hypos then hyper!
It is not! It is hyper followed by hypo!
You have to go high (hyper) to go low (hypo)
Keep posting
Best wishes

Reactions: Emile_the_rat

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't get why I get such high numbers (15.6 mmol highest reading I think) when I am a RH. Is that normal?

As I understand, the higher you go, the more likely it is for your body to overcompensate and cause a low. If you only went up to 7 you would be less likely to crash later.

In some cases, due to immune system involvement or other reasons, the insulin you produce can get "delayed" which causes an initial spike while the insulin is held up, and then a crash once it gets released.

Reactions: Emile_the_rat

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Emile,
Nice to hear from you again.
As a non diabetic with RH. Before diagnosis I would have really wild fluctuating blood levels, my hypo hell.

For someone that is termed as non diabetic without RH. Yes it does happen when overloaded with carbs and sugars. It will only be a problem if it creates problems with insulin and glucose levels are consistently high for too long.

For us it is usual because we are not normal in the sense that we produce too much insulin, hence the hypos.
We must cut out as much carbs and sugars as possible and keep our blood levels to near normal levels as much as possible. This will prevent the hypers and stop the hypos.
Prevention is better than correction. Taking soft drinks and quick acting carbs will only exacerbate the situation. It will rebound and yo yo your bloods again.
Eat to your meter. Go really low carb, the health benefits are brilliant!
15.6 is not good!
If you could give us a typical days food, we will advise you what is good and what is not!
You say it is hypos then hyper!
It is not! It is hyper followed by hypo!
You have to go high (hyper) to go low (hypo)
Keep posting
Best wishes

Will do, and thanks for your reply :)
And I did write hyper to hypo :)

Well I love eating and drinking dairy products as breakfest or lunch before bed. For dinner I can eat almost anything, fish, meat, potatoes, pasta, chicken , salade. I think the soft drinks and snacking are spiking me, but still shouldn't it always stay below 11.2 for non-diabetics? That's what confusing me, that I get very high bs as well :/

As I understand, the higher you go, the more likely it is for your body to overcompensate and cause a low. If you only went up to 7 you would be less likely to crash later.

In some cases, due to immune system involvement or other reasons, the insulin you produce can get "delayed" which causes an initial spike while the insulin is held up, and then a crash once it gets released.

Thanks for your reply :)

Well almost anything spikes and crash me, at least if I go too long without eating. I understand that lower highs gives less chance of crashing, but I don't understand how I can get such high readings when I'm not diabetic. I kind of thought only diabetics got high readings. But I might be wrong there.

But thanks both guys for taking the time to lesve a little post here, appriciated :)

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the soft drinks and snacking are spiking me, but still shouldn't it always stay below 11.2 for non-diabetics?

The human body is much more complex than textbooks might have you believe. Diabetes is an umbrella term for many poorly-understood conditions which cause sufficient high blood sugars to create high risk factors for health problems which are caused by high blood sugar. (These health problems are called "diabetes complications".)

Your spikes are quite short-lived, so you probably have low risk factors for these complications. Therefore you don't have diabetes. However, you have one of the ingredients of diabetes. It may develop into diabetes over time. Other people without this 'ingredient' can also get diabetes because of their blood sugar rising for other reasons.

By the way, this seemingly accurate cutoff of 11.1/11.2 is misleading. It comes from publications using American units, which use the very rough figure of 200mg/dL. This equates to just over 11.1mmol/L.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Will do, and thanks for your reply :)
And I did write hyper to hypo :)

Well I love eating and drinking dairy products as breakfest or lunch before bed. For dinner I can eat almost anything, fish, meat, potatoes, pasta, chicken , salade. I think the soft drinks and snacking are spiking me, but still shouldn't it always stay below 11.2 for non-diabetics? That's what confusing me, that I get very high bs as well :/

Thanks for your reply :)

Well almost anything spikes and crash me, at least if I go too long without eating. I understand that lower highs gives less chance of crashing, but I don't understand how I can get such high readings when I'm not diabetic.

You are not diabetic, nor am I!
But, I think you have a form of dumping syndrome, where your blood glucose is used up very quickly, hence the steep rise into a hyper, the excess insulin then crashes into a hypo or similar state of hypo symptoms.

The best treatment for not doing is not to eat the carbs, sugar, soft drinks that will do this or exacerbate the situation. The more glucose the bigger the rise the bigger fluctuations and the bigger the crash.
You must get your body as near normal levels as possible as long as possible.
By omitting the carbs!

Fluctuating blood glucose levels is bad for you and really unhealthy.
I do believe you need to rethink your diet.
Or the fluctuating blood glucose levels will only get worse.
You need to control them and the quicker you do your health will improve.

Remember, no hypers, no hypos!