Flying with glucose

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys will be flying out on my hols on Saturday and whilst I know that the bottles of very berry glucose juice that I carry on board must be in clear plastic bags was just wondering if I am able to take the rest in my suitcase. Probably a daft question but don't relish the thought of carrying 30 bottles in my hand luggage :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Postleneo It will be no problem carrying it, but wondering how long you are away to be taking that much ? What about taking glucotabs/glucogel, jelly babies instead, smaller and lighter to carry :)

D

Deleted Account

Like @Juicyj I always carry my glucose in solid form so I was wondering, if you carry glucose drinks through airport security, do you have to put it in 100ml bottles .. and limit to what fits into one of those clear plastic bags?
I know there are exceptions for milk for babies so assume there should be medical exemptions. Definitely worth checking.
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/essential-medicines-and-medical-equipment says you need supporting documentation.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you really need that much? I mean, perhaps you're off on your hols to a place that doesn't sell sweets and candy... but, surely, taking enough to ensure you're safe on the flight out and the flight back, and then stocking up on some local sugary things is a better (and cheaper - those liquid glucose things are expensive!) option?

Is there a particular reason you're expecting to have 30+ hypos? How long are you away for?

I ask not to seem critical (apologies if I'm coming over that way) but to, maybe, encourage you to rethink: is there any reason you think you're going to suddenly be unable to manage your condition to such a huge degree? Have a bit of confidence: there's being prepared... and then there's stocking enough stuff to open a clinic!*

Happy holidays, though - I hope you have a fab - and healthy! - time :)

Sock x

*Of course, if you're jetting off to the ISS or an Antarctic research lab for 6 months, I take back my questions!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know the rules, but perhaps just put a comfortable amount into your carryon luggage, and either put non-liquid treatments into your suitcases, or buy some when you arrive at your destination. Also as a side note, if you hadn't been planning to already, make sure you put your diabetes supplies in your carryon luggage!

Hope your flight goes well :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get a £1 bag of jelly babies. Or a tube of Dextrose.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your responses... Think will definitely rethink the amount of very bery hypo treatments I take feel I was just being too over cautious:banghead:

Reactions: phdiabetic

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your responses... Think will definitely rethink the amount of very bery hypo treatments I take feel I was just being too over cautious:banghead:

Haha I do this too - going to uni for 2 hours? Take ALL the juices! Oh and strips, I never feel safe even if I have like 30 of them in my pocket for a half hour trip. Too cautious is better than reckless, it's always good to plan ahead. Have a good (and hopefully hypo free!) time