Flying with spare freestyle libre

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all! Am having a mind blank as to whether I've ever flown with a freestyle libre in hand luggage and am concerned it may cause issues at security. Abbott have told me it should be fine as long as I don't put it in the hold, but I can't get through to an airport helpline as there's no real option for this! Does anyone have any experience with this?

Reactions: Juicyj

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there
I recently ( march 2017 ) flew to the USA via Amsterdam wearing a Libre and carrying a spare Libre in my hand luggage, as well as wearing my Omnipod insulin pump..

I was searched and swabbed at security and my carry on was searched -- but went through with no issues.:)
hope this helps.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @isjoberg - I have recently flown to France with libre in hand luggage no issues, as well as a pump, straight through :)

Reactions: isjoberg

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've flown with my OpenAPS rig, Dexcom sensor and multiple phones, and apart from recently being asked by a guy at the O2 security when I went to a gig there the other day if it was a bomb, I've had no issues.

Reactions: isjoberg

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
Hi,

I recently went to USA and didn't have a problem.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for all your responses! Had a bit of an out of character panic and didn't really fancy tweeting Gatwick (the customer service suggestion online...) about the issue.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No problems for me the other week...learnt the french word for sensor just in case but they weren't fussed. Just one man who tried to keep my insight remote from me :mad: Have fun wherever you're going!

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flew from Manchester to Amsterdam this week. Manchester no problems with the libre which I was wearing, which didn't even flag up on the scanner. Amsterdam Schipol scanner flagged up the libre. The lady I spoke to hadn't seen one when I explained what it was for. Only question she asked was if I was well. OK with needles and spare libre in hand luggage. Didn't have to show my GP letter, so all in all straightforward.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear All,
Due to my job I travel typically 2-6 times per week with an airplane. Have done so on and off for the last 20+ years.
50% of those flights are across all Europe.
40% of the flights are to/from/national flights in USA.
10% long-haul to/from Asia.

Through all those years and flights, I have only 1(one!) single time been pulled out to show my hand luggage due to the insulin pens that I had in my hand/laptop-bag. And yep. I am not shy and always playing it safe, so I often have 4-10 of those laying in the handbag pocket, all depending on the total length of my combined journey over next 1-3 weeks. And the time I was pulled out because of the pens, was because I had made one big compressed bundle of 12 pens kept closely together with elastics, so the total liquid volume/density triggered the scanner. Having them spread causally in a side pocket etc will not trigger anything. And I have so far never been pulled out of the line at security because of the extra (1-2) sensors I bring with me. It actually hardly shows up on their screen, as the electronics and battery within it is too small to make a difference.

Regarding the sensor on my arm and the body scan. The sensor does not trigger the detector alarm when you walk through the special body scanner! Some of you may be pulled out for extra manual scan, as the security gate beeped when walking through. That also happens if you have no metal, no sensor, no nothing, as random spot checks are employed in all airports. So its not because of your sensor on your arm.

I work btw for a medical device company, where we produce medical devices Class III for permanent implants. E.g. cardio defibrillators and neuro brain stimulators. When such devices pose 'a challenge' for security checks at airports (and these type of devices do) then the company producing them issue an official implant ID for the patient which the physician/care provider institution also co-signs. But as said, no need at all for us diabetics just traveling with Libre and our pens.

Regarding checking in your bag with extra sensors: No problem at all !
Doing it on all my long-haul flights, when not just traveling with a handbag. (I like to place backups across all my luggage ;o)
Abbott may say 'always bring it with you in handbag', as of course the risk of loosing it is less. (and they play it safe as a supplier) Depending on the type of airplane, the checked luggage is at times exposed to low temperatures and low air pressure versus the cabin. But not so extreme that it destroys the sensor itself. And it is not a question about security or regulations either.

So fellow diabetics, no reason to worry because of your insulin/bg gear that you bring with you. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover!” – Mark Twain

Reactions: Don68 and Ledzeptt

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi all! Am having a mind blank as to whether I've ever flown with a freestyle libre in hand luggage and am concerned it may cause issues at security. Abbott have told me it should be fine as long as I don't put it in the hold, but I can't get through to an airport helpline as there's no real option for this! Does anyone have any experience with this?
I flew around the US a month ago with a sensor on my arm, two spares in my laptop bag along with all the usual stuff I carry in there and the reader and had not one issue anywhere. I had to go through body scanners about 9times in total in the three weeks with connections and security and had absolutely no issues.

I even have a Libra medical certificate I got the GP to sign and I laminated it and have it with all my paperwork and no-one even wanted to see it.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have flown many many times wearing a sensor and carrying a spare in my hand luggage along with all my insulin, novo pen and spare needles. I have never once been stopped and asked to open my bag