Flying with type 2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do I need a doctors letter for airline security to travel. I am type 2. I take metformin medication daily but no other medicines.

Hi @Mark williams ,

Welcome to the forum.

You should be OK without the letter. Most airport security have seen it all.

Do keep your meds with you in the hand luggage.

& have a good trip!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do I need a doctors letter for airline security to travel. I am type 2. I take metformin medication daily but no other medicines.

Mark, my only additional comment would be, depending on where you are travelling to, you might be best to take a copy of your prescription with you. The tear off part is fine. That just confirms any meds you have with you are prescribed for you.

Few countries bother, or are even care, but the odd place can get a bit twitchy.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your advice. I have learned from you.
Impressed with this forum and the speedy responses.

Fully agree..great ain't they.:D

Carried metformin, meter and asthma Meds every trip, never had an anyone query, anywhere.
But probably good advise, re @Jaylee .to carry prescription JUST in case.

(btw, most places i have been, have found chemist very knowledgeable, eg, Asthma, not so sure about T2, though i do expect they do, yet i tried buying metformin in Vietnam (island Phu quoc) recent trip, no chance.)

So do take enough..maybe NOT mission critical, but i noticed after not taking any for last few days (yep, my bad ),BG's raised for a while on return..probably the foods, but worth considering.

don't forget to add the odd eat, the airline foods can be a quite carby..cheap and cheerful, i guess.
i quite like the airline food,, but some nuts in my carry on, has helped out when it was just too little i could actually eat without raising my bg's, yet i was still hungry..(usually long haul, here)

OR a good eat depending how far before you fly..Weatherspoons breakfast is my go to.

yes expensive, but it's the airport, init :rolleyes:..
top tip, IF using Weatherspoons, download the app, table service will only apply via the app
i THINK you can still buy at counter, but it does seem frowned upon, and the table service was quick and easy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

No, you do not need a GP letter, I never mentioned Metformin when ever I flew when I was taking it.