Folate deficiency

hill4332

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went to my DN a few weeks ago and mentioned if i had ever had my B12 or Thyroid tested.She couldnt find an answer on her computer so arranged a blood test .Whilst the B12 and Throid were OK it turned out that my folates were 3.2 instead af 3.9 so now on Folic Acid
I am a 68 year old male on Insuman 25 plus a couple of blood pressure pills and lansopozale .
Has anyone come across this before ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats odd .... when I got my most recent tests the range was 3.0 to 8.0 ? I think mine was 2.7 so even lower than yours..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I had very low folate (due to malabsorption)

Ended up doing quite a bit of research into which of the various folate supplements are most bio available, and which may actually be harmful. There is a big range of quality and price out there!

Eventually bought some Optimised folate, L-methylfolate (won't mention the brand, but it wasn't difficult to find, once I knew to avoid all the rest. ;) ). And I am certainly feeling better, although I was feeling rough enough that I implemented a few changes at the same time, so wouldn't like to claim any miraculous benefits from my 1 folate tab a day. :D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/Do...terpretation of Low Folate - July 2017 NB.pdf

Screenshot 2018-10-23 at 11.45.12.png

Now I'm even more confused...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The range on my lab report is 3 to 20. ug/L

I imagine the differences are down to the machinery used by the lab and the way they test.

Edited to add the ug/L measurement units.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The range on my lab report is 3 to 20.

I imagine the differences are down to the machinery used by the lab and the way they test.
Pretty sure that's what mine said.. but after installing new software I seem to have lost the remembered log in for my system online test results so can't double check it..If updating macs beware of Mojave!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha!
My lab's range was 8.83-60.8 nmol/L considered 'normal' That is a HUGE range!!!

My results were 2.98nmol/L

I'm afraid I am not up to translating nmol/L into ug/L

SimonCrox

Folate deficiency is very common, although the lower "normal" level varies. It is so common, and leads to problems in pregnancy for the foetus that they will start putting it in the bread shortly. I think it is mainly found in green veg like brocoli . If you have no other deficiencies or bowel problems, I would not worry about the cause, but just take the tablets.
The tablets are 5mg yet one only needs 5 mcg per day, so it doesn't matter if you miss a few.
If you pay for prescriptions, (which most people on this site will not be doing), then it may be cheaper to buy from Holland & Barrett etc
Best wishes
PS Made a mistake with normal folate requirements - it is 400 mcg per day. I had better take the tablets more carefully

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. :)

As @SimonCrox says, it is a pretty important vitamin, so I just got the tablets and take them.
I had a few other deficiencies (thanks gut issues and malabsorption) identified at the same time, and decided not to mess around with just trying to adjust eating. After all, doesn't matter what goes into the stomach if the rest of the digestive tract isn't absorbing the nutrients. The priority was to feel better, so I got some good quality supplements and have been taking them consistently.

Definite, fairly quick improvement.

I have also increased my intake of nutrient dense foods, so will be very interested to see what the next round of tests show.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. :)

As @SimonCrox says, it is a pretty important vitamin, so I just got the tablets and take them.
I had a few other deficiencies (thanks gut issues and malabsorption) identified at the same time, and decided not to mess around with just trying to adjust eating. After all, doesn't matter what goes into the stomach if the rest of the digestive tract isn't absorbing the nutrients. The priority was to feel better, so I got some good quality supplements and have been taking them consistently.

Definite, fairly quick improvement.

I have also increased my intake of nutrient dense foods, so will be very interested to see what the next round of tests show.
Just had chicken livers in butter for lunch.. shame I'l probably have to wait for another year to get levels tested again!

Reactions: Pipp

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My folate was considered low so am prescribed folic acid though my B12 level was normal I do not Know the actual figures as the test was done at the hospital at the behest of my neurologist and I can't access those figures on line,

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My range is 3.8 to 25 ug/l. Plasma folate.

strange there is so much variance

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My range is 3.8 to 25 ug/l. Plasma folate.

strange there is so much variance
Indeed.. I'm due a telephone consult with a GP and I'll try to remember to ask him although most of the time will probably be spent discussing my "cholesterol" and demonstrating to him how little he knows about it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if the standard range is different for men, pre-menopausal women and post menopausal women (going by their age) ?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hiu @hill4332, I can see a new greeting for those one meets," Hello there, how is your folate level"?
I hope the following might clear up some of the confusion, based on what I could source and not as professional advice or opinion: There are two folate tests - serum folate and RBC folate. Serum folate is said to be less accurate than the RBC(red blood cell) folate readings as far as establishing if the body is short of folate. Serum is the fluid in blood less the cells in the blood. The red blood cell seems to reflect what is happening in the rest of the cells of the body.
The serum folate might be tested for first and if lowish the RBC folate is then measured to get a better idea of the more true picture. (see nps.org.au Appropriate use of tests for folate and B12 deficiency - Metz J, Australian prescriber Feb 1999)
In 2005 WHO (not the mob working out of a blue telephone box)! put the lower limits for all age groups as:
serum folate < 4 ng/ml (< 10 mmol/l) and RBC folate as <151 ng/ml (< 340 mmol/l). The only exception is in pregnancy apparently as folate levels fall over the duration of the person's pregnancy.( apps.who.int Serum and RBC folate concentrations for assessing folate status in populations WHO 2012).
In the first reference the author stresses the importance of discovering why the folate level in the body is low. The causes to consider at the top of the list are dietary deficiency - leafy green vegetables being an oft quoted source and malabsorption and in particular coeliac disease. Has your doctor checked for coeliac disease?
Because there is a connection in the way folate and B12 are used by the body, if folic acid supplements are taken this can lower the serum B12 level. So folate and B12 are usually measured together (livestrong.com "What is the relationship between folate and vitamin B12? Oct 2017.
I hope the above is helpful and clearer than mud !!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Why does the government have to tinker with standard foods? There are so many people with allergies and intolerances and for them it is better to leave food alone and provide supplements for those who need them. When my children were small we decided that we had to move from a mainland town because they were adding fluoride to the water, which my son was allergic to. He still has major allergies and intolerances so is left with little other than bread made at home plus some soya products which he can eat. I worry that adding folic acid in some form to flour will cause even more problems for him.