food and drink

Dislikes
haveing diabeties
what drinks can i have loads off with out having to watch my leveles
same with food what food can i eat a lot of without being to concerened ie can i eat load of tomatoes or pairs or meat so if i want to eat i can scoff on something that will be ok been eatin g lots of cherry toms

Spiral

1970 said:
what drinks can i have loads off with out having to watch my leveles

Water, black tea, green tea. Diet drinks with artificial sweeteners are not something I choose to drink regualrly. Lots of caffine may have an impact on your blood sugar.

same with food what food can i eat a lot of without being to concerened ie can i eat load of tomatoes or pairs or meat so if i want to eat i can scoff on something that will be ok been eatin g lots of cherry toms

There isn't a quick fix to diet. You need to find a diet that keeps your blood sugar low and that you can stick to for teh rest of your life. Get a meter and test and make use of the info to make dietary modifications.

I gave this advice here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9352

Look around, ask questions, as many as you like, and make some changes that work for you.

I low carb. I don't feel deprived or hungry, I have lost weight and my blood sugar control is much better.

Dislikes
haveing diabeties
better start learning to cook i supose hate cooking i burn myself or end up eating it b4 it cooked lol
but thanks

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Spiral was right.

The most important thing is to make sure you are happy with what you are eating, and that your blood sugar levels are good.
Generally speaking, high protein, i.e cheeses, meats, etc won't spike your blood sugar as much as foods containing carbs, i.e veggies, fruits etc.
You need to find a healthy diet, that works for YOU.

I drink a fair amount of soda. Don't worry about the 'scares' on the internet. There has never been any proof that any sweetener causes cancer. (The study about Aspartame and rats was found to have used the equivalent of 100g of aspartame a day).

Good luck.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi CelticPiskie.
You said: (quote)
I drink a fair amount of soda. Don't worry about the 'scares' on the internet. There has never been any proof that any sweetener causes cancer. (The study about Aspartame and rats was found to have used the equivalent of 100g of aspartame a day). (unquote)

Not sure what study you are referring to ? This is an article about the numerous documented and researched studies on humans about the risks with Aspartame. I posted this a week or so back. It was about the effects on humans,not rats - serious effects. There is a further link there.
If you still think Aspartame is safe after reading this 'scare story ', well Good Luck. :(

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8830&p=82844&hilit=aspartame#p82844

Ken.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry Ken, I think its important to give a bit of balance to that article.
Reading it (the Mercola article) I found much that was familiar.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame:(2) Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes
Sounds impressive but where is the source of this?
Compiled by researchers, physicians, and artificial sweetner experts for Mission Possible, a group dedicated to warning consumers about aspartame

And who are Mission Possible?
Answer here, its quite an old article, it comes under the heading Urban Myths
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blasp.htm
The third page leads to many sources of information about Aspartame but as its quite an old article some of the links are out of date.
Here is the latest FSA one, following a 2006 review of Aspartame safety by the European Food Safety Authority.
http://www.food.gov.uk/safereating/chemsafe/additivesbranch/sweeteners/55174

Personally, I think its much better not to depend too much on artificial sweetners, you really don't need to add them to fruit and can quickly get used to unsweetened tea and coffee but when drinking outside the home diet coke may well be the only option. However, my poor children grew up on 'diet' drinks and very few sweets because I wanted to protect their teeth. Now in their thirties they seem quite healthy and it had the desired outcome since their teeth are still in very good, unfilled condition.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Phoenix.

I know there are two sides to all this. It is just we keep getting the same thing crop up here, Aspartame is bad, no it's not so as there was a recent long post about this very thing that is what I posted, my link.

It also gives much evidence throughout the topic it refers to about the dangers not just listed in that link but also elsewhere. I'm not saying what Mercola said is right, neither am I saying he is wrong. I am just giving people the other side of the story, same as you.

Ken. :D