Food and weight becoming an obsession.

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have noticed that protein does crank my sugars up. Today is a new day and I am going to record what I am eating and see if that makes things better. Thank you for your help!

Reactions: 4 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I weigh stuff too to get a feel for how much a portion is. I log using my fitness pal. I have been doing this way of eating since the end of January and I haven't lost an ounce. We walked 10 miles last weekend, we have already walked 5 miles this weekend and......... nothing. Oh if only it was calories in, calories out, I would look like a bean pole!!! MFP is set for a 2lb per week weight loss, ha bloody ha ha, so that is a calorie deficit of 900 a day, plus I don't eat back the calories I burn walking. Still nada, zilch, nothing.

Ali

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been low carbing for nearly 3 months now..... makes no difference!

Ali

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Food should be enjoyed and not something that makes you miserable and fed-up.

There's nothing complicated about losing weight, if you burn more calories than you consume then you will begin to lose weight and the best way of losing weight is by doing it slowly over a long period of time - that way you are less likely to put it back on.

Why don't you ask to see a dietitian and discuss your diet with them and see if they can help, good luck.

Noble head, perhaps you find on you "moderation in all things" diet that all calories are equal, most people, including an increasing number of scientists and informed medics, find that those consuming lower carbs can eat more fat, without the same impact of increased calories. In other word, 2000 calories of "moderation" may hold weight stable, but on LCHF, for many people, that would be a calorie deficit situation.

These days, I eat a fairly mixed diet, as I have introduced a few more carbs, over time, in order to expand my social options, and make eating with friends in their homes easier. One days I eat more carbs (today will be one of those days, as I know there are enchiladas on the menu later), I will both feel carb peckish later, and my weight will blip up tomorrow (probably only due to the short term metabolic impact of the carbs, as opposed to laying down fat. If I eat a similar level of lower carb based calories, I lose weight. I know this from almost 18 months of tracking everything I eat. OK, I no longer weigh my food, unless I have a particular reason, or I think I'm losing the plot, up or down, but I still track everything.

Unlike the OP, and Ali H, I have struggled to stop losing weight, so I have put quite a lot of effort into,this whole balance game. Sadly, the "we're all different" chant we hear so often here is a real truism, in this case.

Guys, I wish you well. @chr1234 - I tend to agree with @tim2000s that you may be eating far more calories than you realise. For me, nuts are my safety net snack - both in terms of being out and about, easy grab food, but also when I feel I need to get some simple calories inside me.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@AndBreathe whatever works for you is fine and I don't have any experience to speak of regards to a LCHF diet (having only tried it for a few weeks), but there's no denying that too many calories will lead to weight gain and in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume, that is why the likes of Slimming World and Weight Watchers work as does Prof Taylor's ND.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe whatever works for you is fine and I don't have any experience to speak of regards to a LCHF diet (having only tried it for a few weeks), but there's no denying that too many calories will lead to weight gain and in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume, that is why the likes of Slimming World and Weight Watchers work as does Prof Taylor's ND.

I think many would agree Slimming World and Weight Watchers may work for non-diabetics, but for those diabetics (albeit, mainly T2s) not on insulin and therefore not able to inject to cover carbs, their eating plans can be something of a challenge. But then, to be fair, I have no personal experience, so my comments are anecdotal.of either club

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it's true that if you eat 800cal of drinks/salad, you will lose weight, but there is a high dropout and yo-yo rate as people are driven back to carbs
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/5/579.long
Five years after completing structured weight-loss programs, the average individual maintained a weight loss of >3 kg and a reduced weight of >3% of initial body weight. After VLEDs or weight loss of ≥20 kg, individuals maintained significantly more weight loss than after HBDs or weight losses of <10 kg.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think many would agree Slimming World and Weight Watchers may work for non-diabetics, but for those diabetics (albeit, mainly T2s) not on insulin and therefore not able to inject to cover carbs, their eating plans can be something of a challenge. But then, to be fair, I have no personal experience, so my comments are anecdotal.of either club

Well my good lady did the Slimming World diet a few years ago, at the time she was on the course there was a chap who lost 5 stone on the diet and he had type 2 diabetes, not sure what methods he used to control his diabetes but a 5 stone weight loss is a remarkable achievement, but as with all diets its not about losing it its keeping it off.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My calorie deficit is set at 900 below tdee and I am often below that target too. Walked 10 miles last weekend, 5 this, nothing.

Oh well, BS levels look good but I really wanted the promised weight loss. 30 years of effort and zero result, kinda sick of food governing my life now.

Ali

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My calorie deficit is set at 900 below tdee and I am often below that target too. Walked 10 miles last weekend, 5 this, nothing.

Oh well, BS levels look good but I really wanted the promised weight loss. 30 years of effort and zero result, kinda sick of food governing my life now.

Ali
it sounds like you body has gone into famine mode, I would eat a lot more and take it to 1500 for a while and cut more carbs
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lo...ak-a-Weight-Loss-Stall-on-a-Low-Carb-Diet.htm

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Ali

I agree your body is in famine mode

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do other say about your figure? May be you need to accept yourself for what you ate & not try to be a stick.
There are times when our minds eye sees something we're not.
May be too many fashion mags.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I have noticed that protein does crank my sugars up. Today is a new day and I am going to record what I am eating and see if that makes things better. Thank you for your help!
Hi chr1234, just a quick point,the prog' about fat, did throw up one interesting point, that is if we exercise at max effort for 2 minutes and then rest for one minute then repeat seven times in succession our bodies carry on burning fat at a faster rate for the next twenty four hours. Giving it a go .

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Stick insect, mmmmm, that would be nice lol but with a BMI stuck firmly at 39 that will never happen, I would settle for cuddly if I could achieve that even but thus far, nope! My TDEE is 2500, a 900 cal deficit is 1600. I wonder if I dare eat above the 1600 and see if that stops the famine effect?

Ali

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ali
I've been having a think and I wonder if it's leptin? I also put it on your page.
pick it up at 20 minutes into video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y

G

gemma6549

Hi,

I have been type one since 2011 diagnosed at 17 years old. In my first year of being diagnosed I gain over a stone and a bit due to having to treat numerous hypos over the honey moon period. Once this had ended I began the dangerous slope of avoiding insulin in attempt to loose weight. I saw a therapist for this and it is no longer an issue, however the issue now is food and weight is becoming an obsession. I did loose over a stone before however I gained this back when I started eating 'normally' aka introducing more carbohydrates. I weigh myself daily, avoid carbs but then sometimes have them because I know my body needs them. Then the next day feel bloated and guilty. I had been following a LCHF diet however even that isn't giving me the results I want. (I am on the contraceptive injection which has caused me to feel more hungry! Will not be continuing with is method) I exercise once if not twice a day yet I am still not where I want to be. I feel I am at a loss and don't see any hope of food not being such a big deal, which I feel at 21 years old is a real shame.

Did/does anyone else feel like this? How can I stop and finally be happy with diet?

Sorry for my little rant/life story!

Many thanks,

Charlotte :)

Hi Charlotte

I really sympathise with how you are feeling. I was 16 when diagnosed and gained weight. Because of that at 20 I decided to stop taking my insulin for the next 6 years. Yes I lost weight (a lot of weight) whilst eating whatever I wanted, but effectively I was dying.

Just over 2 years ago like you I got back on track with my insulin. I've gained a lot of weight back, but I have to be fair to myself that a lot of that is muscle.

I think it's also important to remember you are growing up and your body will go through natural changes, I blamed everything on insulin and didn't account for nature taking it's course.

I went through CBT and there are a couple of good books, Melanie fennel guide to low self esteem and the 8 step programme of learning to like your appearance.

I'm by no means healed!! But one thing I would recommend is getting rid of the scales, I was weighing myself 6 times a day! And abstain from celeb magazines or the internet full of perfect celebs and unrealistic images.

I'm never going to be happy with my weight but it doesn't consume my life anymore, eventually other things become more important.

When you lost weight before were you happy with that? Or did you always want to be less? For me no amount of weight loss was never enough. I was chasing something that was never going to be achievable.

I think about food a lot, then hate myself for eating.....well....anything!!

But you have to remember that your opinion of yourself and your weight is just that, it's an opinion, not a fact.

I really do recommend those books, I'm not going to say I'm a model example that things can be better and life will be perfect because that's not real and doesn't exist. But I've made a lot of progress that I'm very proud of.

You can message me anytime if you want to talk.

Gemma

Reactions: 8 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
About 45 mins in now Jack, I have done everything I can to help myself so short of getting the drug he talks about.......

Ali

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
About 45 mins in now Jack, I have done everything I can to help myself so short of getting the drug he talks about.......

Ali
it might be time to see a good endo and run some tests, after 30yrs of trying and at 900 cal and no weight loss. I think there is something wrong, even if you have gone into famine mode..
I would increase my fat intake, I can't see it being good for you..LCHF will keep your BG good.