Food Challenge

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening. I love food and now 4weeks into my new lifestyle I am busy checking out what I can eat and what i should not. Thankfully I have a bg meter to help me. Tonight I made cauliflower cheese in my usual way. Well maybe a smidge less flour in the roux. Lashings of good cheddar and the milk was watered down cream...and if I say so myself it was one of my best. I ate it with one slice of corned beef. Pre meal 6.1. One hour post 9.2, two hours post 7.3. So please correct me if I am wrong but it looks like cauli cheese can stay on the menu?

Reactions: Antje77

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Certainly can. Had it tonight. I leave the flour out.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...thinking...maybe the glass of red wine stopped the carbs being metabolised immediately? Heheh

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nooooooo, you just can’t make a decent cheese sauce without flour and a good spoonful of whole grain mustard,

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bottle of red will be opened later. If you need a thickener, try xanthan gum.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. Never used it. Health food store? However if my bg rise post meal was within acceptable limits...I don’t care as it virtually the only carb I have had in days.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to shop on line. Search your favourite supermarket and see if they stock it. If all else fails there is always Amazon.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check out dietdoctor.com for ideas for meals.

If you like cake, Google keto mug cakes.

Hotpepper20000

Thank you. Never used it. Health food store? However if my bg rise post meal was within acceptable limits...I don’t care as it virtually the only carb I have had in days.
I’m one of those people that it’s not the amount of carbs but where the carbs come from.
Any grains, not matter how little, spike my BG.
The same amount from greens or tomatoes does very little.

Reactions: Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening. I love food and now 4weeks into my new lifestyle I am busy checking out what I can eat and what i should not. Thankfully I have a bg meter to help me. Tonight I made cauliflower cheese in my usual way. Well maybe a smidge less flour in the roux. Lashings of good cheddar and the milk was watered down cream...and if I say so myself it was one of my best. I ate it with one slice of corned beef. Pre meal 6.1. One hour post 9.2, two hours post 7.3. So please correct me if I am wrong but it looks like cauli cheese can stay on the menu?

You have avoided a rise of more than 2 at the 2 hour mark. If you want to reduce that rise further I still recommend the Diet Dr one!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-cauliflower-cheese
I see a rise of only 0.2 - 0.4 at the two hour mark after eating this with some veggies ;)

Edit to add, that was without help from alcohol :joyful:

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have eaten like a Tibetan monk for the past four weeks. I think I can just about allow myself a nice cauli cheese. Mind you Tuesday I go to visit an old nurse colleague and, if I felt hard done by, I remind myself of her medical history: Hodgkin’s lymphoma, lifelong depression, breast cancer and bilateral mastectomies. I will drag her off to this neighbourhood Malaysian restaurant and I will eat a simply delicious noodles with fried shrimp cakes. B*gger the bg!

Reactions: lindijanice

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Bottle of red will be opened later. If you need a thickener, try xanthan gum.

Couldn't swear to it but Xantham gum is a Polysaccaride which is basically a simple sugar/carb. It could be that it is used in such small quantities that its effects would be minimal but best to test to make sure.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couldn't swear to it but Xantham gum is a Polysaccaride which is basically a simple sugar/carb. It could be that it is used in such small quantities that its effects would be minimal but best to test to make sure.
That's my understanding. Not used it yet.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also, I have to remember that at weekends I cook for my partner. I can’t just subject her to my bed of nails even though she is supportive. Big changes for her too. So I am trying my best to navigate a middle road as they say. I think i might test her with xylitol tomorrow :]

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nooooooo, you just can’t make a decent cheese sauce without flour and a good spoonful of whole grain mustard,

If you used cream and enough grated/shredded cheese you wouldn't need flour. I do't use flour in my cauli cheese and it's very rich indeed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Also, I have to remember that at weekends I cook for my partner. I can’t just subject her to my bed of nails even though she is supportive. Big changes for her too. So I am trying my best to navigate a middle road as they say. I think i might test her with xylitol tomorrow :]

I cook for the whole family and I am the only one that has T2. They love the LCHF/Keto meals and snacks. All, that is, apart from Keto porridge, they prefer their Jordan's granola.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cook for the whole family and I am the only one that has T2. They love the LCHF/Keto meals and snacks. All, that is, apart from Keto porridge, they prefer their Jordan's granola.

My hubby and grown up kids, none of them type 2, eat whatever I cook! If they want carbs they have to cook for themselves! ;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My hubby and grown up kids, none of them type 2, eat whatever I cook! If they want carbs they have to cook for themselves! ;)
Mine still have their carb fix but I finally convinced them that Doritos are not a part of a healthy diet!
Still nagging about the pop, though and the Monster that my middlun likes.

Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a mixture of cream cheese and grated red Leicester to cover the steamed cauliflower and it is then kept warm until the cheese melts. Personally I prefer it to a flour based sauce.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You all have generously shared your recipes for which I thank you. Given my bg was 6.3 after 3 hours, I will stick with my traditional recipe, using a classic cheese sauce.