Food is not my friend any more

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dogby - low carb foods are the best ones - I suggest that you set aside your connections with sites which push carbs and get into some low carb ones until you can see just how bad eating carbs can be.
I was 65 when diagnosed, but I no longer feel that old.
I have lots of choice, lots of variety - I just don't have the loads of sugars and starches so many seem to think are healthy and doing them good.
I was full blown diabetic when diagnosed, Hba1c of 91, but now my tests are normal and have been since 6 months from diagnosis. I have lost weight gained energy and vitality - plus I have learned to play the melodeon for dancing, but that is not compulsory.

Reactions: Member496333

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't beat yourself up, there is still time to sort this out. There is lots of help and support here to get you through this, my levels were dangerously high when diagnosed but have now been reversed, it will take some time, patience and perserverane but you CAN do this!! Take care xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have read and heard that Diabetes only progresses.

I was 66 when I was diagnosed. My GP has since removed me from the diabetes register as "diabetes resolved". I have never taken any medication for it, but have eaten to my meter on a low carb, high fat, normal protein way of eating. Not only are my blood sugars normal but I also lost a shed load of weight. Have faith. It can be done.

Reactions: Rachox

dogby

Thanks again everybody for the tips. I had no idea "eggs, fatty meat, cheese, nuts, dark chocolates " could form part of the diet for a diabetic. Chocolate has sugar in it doesn't it ? I remember finding diabetic chocolates for my Uncle, years ago.

Today I had lunch without bread, and was shocked to discover that my 2-hour post lunch figure was excellent.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I remember finding diabetic chocolates for my Uncle, years ago.
Chocolates for diabetics are probably better for the manufactorer than for diabetics. Next time you go to a supermarket please compare the carb content pr 100g of diabetic chocolate and dark chocolate 85% or more, and you'll see what I mean. The darker the better. Actually, most products aimed at diabetics are best avoided.
Speaking as a former chocaholic, who always went for the light milk chocolate, or even white, getting used to a couple of squares of very dark chocolate broken into bits and melted on your tongue is absolutely do-able and delicious :happy:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking as a former chocaholic, who always went for the light milk chocolate, or even white, getting used to a couple of squares of very dark chocolate broken into bits and melted on your tongue is absolutely do-able and delicious :happy:

I can't express how much I agree with this! :) I love my extra dark chocolate! :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@dogby welcome! Adding my oh yes indeed to the deep dark chocolate bit. I am also a chocoholic, and it turns out (thank goodness!) that it’s the chocolate, not the sugar, that I get off on. I cannot imagine a Snickers bar agreeing with me now, and I only gave them up late August of last year.
I did choose not to buy any chocolate at all for the first couple of months, for safety. My go-to was Lindt 78%, which was lower carb than many with higher percentages. But a week or so ago I ran across some Lindt 90%, which is SO good that I am over-indulging. Oops. Probably ought to buy stock in it so as to make money on my own purchases....
I am a mostly lacto/ovo/fish-o vegetarian who eats turkey and chicken occasionally, and I have found so many ways to not eat my usual winter- veg-heavy cold weather dishes.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again everybody for the tips. I had no idea "eggs, fatty meat, cheese, nuts, dark chocolates " could form part of the diet for a diabetic. Chocolate has sugar in it doesn't it ? I remember finding diabetic chocolates for my Uncle, years ago.

Today I had lunch without bread, and was shocked to discover that my 2-hour post lunch figure was excellent.
chocolate can be found with high cocoa content - the sugar is the cheap part of the recipe.
Diabetes is an inability to cope with carbohydrates - cut down the carbs and everything starts heading back towards normal.

Reactions: zauberflote

pjayem1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dogby,

I never got the pre diabetes warning. I was diagnosed Type 2 last June (was also 53 at the time) I had gone for a high blood pressure annual review.

I tend to lurk more than post but there are some wonderful people in this group and they are all a mine of information.

Food can be your friend again if you let it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dogby: If you';re a dedicated "foodie" try a Google search for Atkins gourmet type recipes. When I was first diagnosed my GP recommended I try in the Atkins diet for weight loss and before I'd found our forum I originally based my low carbing on his food lists. I was quite surprised at some of the more unusual connoisseur Atkins recipes I also came across - definitely not your standard low carb offerings! One of my late friends had also used Atkins and he certainly as a keen cook and true foodie ate extremely well to the extent that his wife had complained about the cost of an Atkins diet and as a result I ended up avoiding any mention of the word Atkins in reference to my new diet. :wideyed:

Robbity

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regular dark chocolates at 70% or higher is generally safe...I usually limit myself to around 30g per session.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree -- food is no longer our friend.

I don't know what to eat anymore. I was trying low carb, and my BG numbers went way down, but my LDL cholesterol is up. So I tried eating to lower that, and my BG went up.

Last night I decided not to eat anything, since I couldn't decide between the two evils of meat or grain (no point in eating vegetables, they leave me hungry again within an hour). Last night I settled for oatmeal and it kept me nicely full through the night, so this morning I tried another bowl, and I feel as hungry as if I hadn't eaten anything.

I felt so great when I got my A1C score. Then I got my cholesterol score, and now I just feel frustrated and fed up.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree -- food is no longer our friend.

I don't know what to eat anymore. I was trying low carb, and my BG numbers went way down, but my LDL cholesterol is up. So I tried eating to lower that, and my BG went up.

Last night I decided not to eat anything, since I couldn't decide between the two evils of meat or grain (no point in eating vegetables, they leave me hungry again within an hour). Last night I settled for oatmeal and it kept me nicely full through the night, so this morning I tried another bowl, and I feel as hungry as if I hadn't eaten anything.

I felt so great when I got my A1C score. Then I got my cholesterol score, and now I just feel frustrated and fed up.
When you start LCHF, your cholesterol goes up for a little while. That's cholesterol that was already there, stored in your body, not newly added cholesterol... As you start to lose weight it's released, and ends up in your bloodstream on the way out. So it wasn't actually a bad thing for it to go up, it should be temporary.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @JoKalsbeek . That is good to hear. I also think it is partly due to the fact that my go-to protein has been beef, because I was getting so tired of chicken and fish. I knew that beef was not the healthiest source of fat but I kept thinking of its protein, iron, and other good qualities. I'm also cutting down on the heavy cream in my coffee till my next check-up, as an experiment to see the results in weight, BG, and cholesterol in April.

Jojohax

Newly diagnosed T2 August 2018. Been pre-diabetic since 2016.

I should have taken the warning seriously and exercised, lost weight significantly, and I might have prevented or delayed the inevitable decline into T2D. But I didn't.

I am clinically obese with a BMI of around 34.5. I love food, too much. I love to snack. I am a member of food lovers/appreciation groups. I have never successfully managed to lose weight permanently, even though I have tried many times.

I was diagnosed in Aug 2018 when I entered a doctors room, and had my BGL measured at 24 mmol/L . Spent the next 24 hours in hospital (even though I felt fine),

Strangely enough the hospital and the GP advised to not measure my BGL regularly. I was put onto Metaformin, 500mg/day. Things didn't improve, Metaformin 1000mg/day/ Things still didn't improve.

Now I am on 4 different tablets per day. Being assessed by an Endo, with review in 30 days. And I have started regularly measuring BGL.

My fasting BGL is currently around 5.5-6. 2 hours after meals is around 7.9. Are these figures bad ? Do I need to work on getting these values lower ? I've head a lot about the complications, would prefer to not go there.

Have read and heard that Diabetes only progresses.

Sorry for the rant.

Forgot to mention, I am 53.

I no exactly how u feel I love my food too and struggle on constantly having to watch what I eat

clanders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Dogby. Your sugars are good and well done for working so hard to manage your diabolics. I'm a type 1(for 46 years). I have no severe side effects from this endocrine disorder and, if you continue to work hard, hopefully you'll avoid the extreme side effects of this disease. I have read lots of articles promoting a ketogenic diet for type twos (no sugars and no carbs) Some participants have fed back that their diabetes has been resolved by these dietary changes. Check with your endocrinologist/diabetic nurses and or dietitians and good luck. :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Thanks, @JoKalsbeek . That is good to hear. I also think it is partly due to the fact that my go-to protein has been beef, because I was getting so tired of chicken and fish. I knew that beef was not the healthiest source of fat but I kept thinking of its protein, iron, and other good qualities. I'm also cutting down on the heavy cream in my coffee till my next check-up, as an experiment to see the results in weight, BG, and cholesterol in April.

Why the apparent fixation on cream?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Why the apparent fixation on cream?
For those on LCHF or keto cream is better than milk in coffee/tea because it contains more fat and less carbs.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Didn't say it wasn't. Total opposite