Food Ratios CARBS-FAT--PROTEIN.

craftbunny

Dislikes
Foul language, liars, bad attitude, arrogance, intolerence, over use of sarcasm, cruelty and abuse of people and animals.
Hello everyone,
I am T2 and have been for over 10 years now. On Metformin, Simvastatin and Onglaza and lots of painkillers for Neuropathic Pain, Fibromyalgia and Osteo-arthritis.

I am back on the wagon again and trying desperately to lose weight. This is hard due to my low energy levels with the Fibro and other stuff but i need to really get back on track with my diabetes as i think once i can do that some of the other stuff will improve. I do exercise and take the dog out at least 5 days a week for an hour walk. My husband does the other two.

I discovered this site again and the Low CArb advice which sort of confused me initially when you compare it with the advice from the NHS, seems to contradict each other, however the Low Carb way is the right way as i have found over the last week.

My problem is this ... i have so many questions and this is the first one.

What should my food ratios be with regards to Fat - Carbs - protein.
These are my details
WEIGHT ST 10LB (220LBS)
CARBS 150G 40%
PROTEIN 113G 30%
FATS 50G 30%

Calories for the day 1500
EXERCISE WALKING

At the moment, as i only started about a week ago, i am finding it difficult to chose what foods to eat as so many are the ones i really enjoy but need to either cut out or cut down. I love all the wrong stuff, potatoes, bread, porridge, cereal, carrots, peas, some of which have been part of my normal diet .... no wonder i cant lose some weight.

I started the Low carb diet this week and so far have lost weight and i want to continue but can anyone advice me are my food ratios correct with regards to the CARBS-FAT--PROTEIN.
Thanks
Wendy

I

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi there!

I'm afraid I can't really help you on the correct ratios for you, but here's what I do:

My diet is in the "Sticky Thread" section - Viv's Modified Atkins Diet. A member on here worked out for me the food group ratios I eat on that, and it works out at 8% carb, 28% protein and 64% fat.

I try to keep my carb intake below 50g daily, and would prefer to be on the 25g recommended by Atkins for his Induction Phase, which is supposed to last for 2 weeks. That is very low - you may be better off aiming for less than 70g daily to start with, and see how you go on. This diet suits me so well that I try to stay very low carb all the time. I have plenty of energy, am never ill and seldom feel deprived.

I don't count calories either, but depending on what I eat I'm usually between 1300 and 2000 cals each day.

I've lost 60lbs in the last 2.5 years, but I've stopped obsessing about my weight, even if I do still have a lot to lose. The chief thing about the diet is that it keeps my blood glucose levels in the non-diabetic range (usually!)

Other people achieve similar results using other methods, but this works for me.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Viv 8)

craftbunny

Dislikes
Foul language, liars, bad attitude, arrogance, intolerence, over use of sarcasm, cruelty and abuse of people and animals.
Hi Viv,

Many thanks for replying to me and firstly congratulations on losing 60lb ...well done. :clap:

I agree 50g of carb may be too low for me at the minute as i have only just started this low carb diet but i will take your figures and aim for that as i lose weight. I dont want to lose it too quickly ... steady as you go, but obviously i will have to modify it soon. I use an app on my iphone called myfitnesspal, which out of all the ones i have tried this one seems the best for English foods and you can scan your foods in. It counts all the carbs, fats and protein and more and they are working on BG counts too.

This helps me with my carbs etc, so i find it really really useful out of all the ones i've tired.

Once again thank you for your advice, i'm going to start a folder and print stuff out so i dont forget (one of the problems of Fibromyalgia :think: ) and refer back to good advice i've been given.

WEndy :thumbup:

B

badcat

I go for 15-20% carbs, 20-25% protein and the rest as fat ( largely unsaturated from nuts seeds etc as I don't eat meat)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have never been able to find a verifiable source which shows that we need to eat any carbs at all!
It has been shown that we can live perfectly well on just fatty meat, but it must be fatty. I read somewhere years ago that an adult needs about the amount of protein in a singl4e egg per day. some nice green leafy veggies can then suupply most of our vitamins and minerals, since we rarely get enough fatty meat to supply them all.
Even though i know thiss, I don't much like fatty meat.
My eating pattern is meat, fish, eggs or cheese with salad or other green veggies and a Little fruit. I have cream in my coffee and if I have a dessert, it tends to be cream or cream cheese based.
I do have my one square of chocolate each day.I drink water, tea and coffee. rarely diluted juice and no sweet fizzy stuff. I don't actually like it.
i recently discovered an alcoholic drink I actually do like which is Limoncello with tonic. I'm pretty fit, rarely ill and lighter than I was 30 years ago.
Hana

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
badcat said:
I go for 15-20% carbs, 20-25% protein and the rest as fat ( largely unsaturated from nuts selfs etc as I don't eat meat)

Beautiful work! That's no mean feat on a veggie diet!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
hanadr said:
I have never been able to find a verifiable source which shows that we need to eat any carbs at all!
It has been shown that we can live perfectly well on just fatty meat, but it must be fatty.

Yes. There is no requirement for carbohydrate. Although it's pretty impractical to eat zero carbs (because there are some in green veg) you could in principal thrive on a very, very, low-carb diet. I try to eat <25g which is essentially nothing.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I do 15% carbs the vast majority of which are veg and very little is starch and sugar, 20% protein and 65% fat. The fat is a combo of unsaturated and saturated fats. Works for me. On Metformin and came off Simvastatin a couple of months ago with my GP's consent as my cholesterol levels normalised.

craftbunny

Dislikes
Thank you everyone for your imput, still digesting it but better informed as i go along.

Wendy