foot pain-should I worry?

rudini

I know I'm at risk for neuropathy now I'm diagnosed diabetic. Since the weather has turned cold, I've started getting pain and then numbness in my toes. It's scaring me because I think it might be a sign of nerve damage. If I keep my feet warm it doesn't happen but I'm concerned for when I go out now, because it's easy to keep my tootsies warm indoors, but unless I wear 4 pairs of socks this is going to be a problem when I leave the house. Any suggestions? Does this happen to anybody else? :?:

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Mmm it seems ok as when you keep your feet warm it goes away so I would imagine it is just the cold affecting you. You may notice it more now because you are diabetic whereas before you probably didn't pay much attention before so my guess is it's just the cold. However if it increases or becomes painful when your feet are warm I'd check it out with your GP - or maybe just to put your mind at rest you should do this anyway just to make sure.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Sometimes cold feet are just that,cold feet.How is your overall diabetic control.If your levels are good then neuropathy is not likely at this stage.If you have had high levels for a long time then ,maybe.Check with your doctor or chiropodist for a foot test to see what they think.I've always had cold feet from childhood.Very handy for moving reluctant husband's across the bed!! :D :D

Trinkwasser

sugarless sue said:
Sometimes cold feet are just that,cold feet.How is your overall diabetic control.If your levels are good then neuropathy is not likely at this stage.If you have had high levels for a long time then ,maybe.Check with your doctor or chiropodist for a foot test to see what they think.I've always had cold feet from childhood.Very handy for moving reluctant husband's across the bed!! :D :D

True, can be a circulatory condition also, Raynauds is an extreme version where the peripheral circulation shuts down too readily.

Curiously I used to be oversentitive to changes in temperature but this seems to have improved with BG control.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Raynauds usually affects the hands as well.As the OP did not mention hands hopefully it is not that.

rudini

My hands aren't affected. And it's worse in my left foot, especically the middle toe. Is it nerve damage diabetics get or bad circulation? The pain is very unpleasant, it's kind of like cramp but with pins and needles. I can't walk when it comes on, I have to sit down and massage my toes. Yech.
Well, I have ordered some socks you heat in the microwave that are supposed to keep feet warm for about 6 hours. Hopefully that will help.
Thanks everyone for your advice!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Don't get those socks too hot in the microwave. If there is some nerve damage, you could burn yourself and not realise.Perhaps would be better just to get wool socks and warm them with a hairdryer befor putting them on. Also go for knee high socks, with soft tops, the elastic at the top of calflength socks may be interfering with your circulation.

Trinkwasser

rudini said:
My hands aren't affected. And it's worse in my left foot, especically the middle toe. Is it nerve damage diabetics get or bad circulation? The pain is very unpleasant, it's kind of like cramp but with pins and needles. I can't walk when it comes on, I have to sit down and massage my toes. Yech.
Well, I have ordered some socks you heat in the microwave that are supposed to keep feet warm for about 6 hours. Hopefully that will help.
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Probably not neuropathy then, that tends to be symmetrical.

If the joint appears swollen check to see if it feels hot to the touch, that might suggest gout, also disappointingly common with diabetes. If not it might be some other form of arthritis. Best to get a professional opinion.