For those who are in remission/reversed their diabetes- how long have you been in remission for

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi,
I was diagnosed Type 2 in early 1999. At that time in 1999, I was 5ft 7", 80 kg, 51 years old. In late 1998 I underwent a Sigmoid Colon resection due to significant reoccurring infection issue in late 1998 caused by my Diverticulitis. Suffer from Psoriasis since early 20's, turned chronic in my 40's.
Treated by same Endocrinologist since 1999, with 3 monthly visits and Blood draws, and followed the standard Type 2 therapy, Metformin, some other orals first, then injecting 70/30 insulin 12 yrs ago, then Humalog via pump 7 years ago, added Trulicity injections in 2018.
Type 2 Progression was slow but steady, significant neuropathy in feet, starting around 2005, After starting insulin therapy gained 47 Kg. Right Big toe Amputation in 2017 due to infection. My weight was 127 Kg in Oct 2018.,
I had mobility issues, even driving a car was becoming difficult because of my feet, I could not tie shoelaces or put on socks. Exercise was not easy. although sometimes I would manage to cycle a few miles.
I started a LCHF IF Ketogenic diet on 5th Nov 2018. 70 years old, Weight 127 Kg, Peak 2018 A1c was 8.0% . After 3 months my A1c was 6.0%. Stable at 6.0% for last 9 months.
Did a C Peptide test in Jan 2019 and it came back at 1.53.
From a sometimes peak dosage of 200+ units insulin per day, it dropped to 25 units per day in August 2019.
Kidneys: My eGFR went from previous lows in the mid 50's before Nov 2018 to 70 - 80 in 2019.
My Lipid panel readings in May 2018 to Aug 2018: went from 4.78 mmoL to 0.76 mmoL. HDL from 1.19 mmoL to 1.91 mmoL,and Triglycerides from 2.48 to 0.63 mmoL
TRIG/HDL ratio went from 4.78 to 0.76
Allopurinol 300 mg, HCTZ and Atenolol 50 mg stopped. Lisinopril 40 mg reduced to 10 mg. Stopped Atorvastatin 20 mg, then Crestor 5 mg because of side effects of fuzzy memory and leg stiffness.
My Average BP now in mid 2019 is 112/72.
On Sept 8th 2019 I finally stopped insulin delivery via pump, and only if my BG heads above 150 will I do a 3 -5 unit of Humalog bolus via syringe.
I now cycle 4 miles twice a day, can walk several miles with no issues. To reach my goal weight of 65 Kg I need to lose another 15 Kg which I expect achieve in another 6 months and also off all meds.
I use a Abbott Freestyle Libre BG sensor.
And measure my BP daily with a Omron 10.
PS: I'm pretty sure my Endo of 20 yrs is not on board with me doing LCHF IF Keto as he has offered no encouragement, and he seems to be unhappy when I visit him. So this reversal process is of my own making, by taking my own health into my own hands, getting to understand in depth my Type 2 diabetes root causes, Insulin Resistance, Hyperinsulinemia, Metabolic Syndrome, CVD and Statins and Blood Lipids.
And by carefully monitoring very closely my BG, A1c, BP and Lipids stage by stage via Blood draws.
Pierre Curtis.
Hi Pierre,
What a fantastic success story. You are an inspiration and show that it is NEVER TOO LATE!.
To go from having progressive Type 2 on insulin, gaining 47Kgs and having a toe amputated, to being active, much slimmer and off insulin with a stable Hba1c of 6.0% is superb.

What a shame that your Endocrinologist isn't on board. One would have expected that after he started seeing the amazing improvement he would have done some research and started to encourage you.
It seems like some doctors don't want to learn anything new and are happy to sleep-walk into retirement even if their patients suffer.

Congratulations,
Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
By way of a bump to this thread and 23 weeks since I added my tuppence worth - I've had another HbA1c and my DN has suggested changing to pre-diabetes. I'm keen to stay on the register but also happy to accept the result.
With me, it seems that the 12 stone-ish mark is the difference between 5's and 6's or higher. Above 12 stone 3 and I immediately see unwanted numbers. So holidays and Christmas introduce abnormal carbs and I pay for it. Thus far, I've been able to bring my numbers down to what keeps me optimistic.
Long may it all continue.

TheThorne

Well for me the diagnosis is the blip, still dont understand how you can be non diabetic for 42 years but one test Hb1Ac 50 makes you diabetic and every one since has been remission level 37 and 32.

So I have been in remission since I got my first test lol. I just lost sone weight, cut back on chocolate and cakes etc and try to eat smaller portions.

No fancy diets just being sensible , everything in moderation. So whether i am diabetic or not it was a good scare to help me look after myself more but I don't consider myself in remission or diabetic, the diabetes was just a blip in my glucose level if the test was even accurate, 3 points less and I wouldnt be here.

Reactions: mojo37

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Diagnosed January 2014. Achieved remission/reversal May 2014. Removed from diabetes register. Now considered non- diabetic.
I have continued to eat very healthily, keep off the 5 stones I lost and run 6 days out of 7. It is a way of life now. But hard at times.
Last HbA1c May 2019 was 4.9. Has never been over 5.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed January 2014. Achieved remission/reversal May 2014. Removed from diabetes register. Now considered non- diabetic.
I have continued to eat very healthily, keep off the 5 stones I lost and run 6 days out of 7. It is a way of life now. But hard at times.
Last HbA1c May 2019 was 4.9. Has never been over 5.
Interestingly My hba1c has been at non diabetic levels for 6 years but I am still on the diabetic register and, according to my DN, not in remission just “well controlled”. It seems different GPs have different ideas!

Reactions: nomoredonuts

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't claim to be in remission, but me and GP call it well controlled. However I brought my initial diagnosis HbA1c of just over 60 at the end of November 2013 down to a pre-diabetic 47 within a couple of months, had reached an all time low normal of 40 at next check up, and since then have bounced around at 41-43 with a few (ill health) blips of 45. I also lost over 20 kilos weight in those first few months - without really trying. I aim to eat less than 50g carbs a day but often go much lower, e.g. staying at approx 20-25g for a few weeks to actually make sure I was in ketosis when i first started low carbing, which I think probably helped with the weight loss.

So all done by cutting carbs down, but it's been fairly easy since I'd ended up (somewhat reluctantly!) eating a rather too high carb diet, and it was actually a relief to be able to have a medical justification to cut carbs back down again. For the most part I've cooked fresh foods from scratch all my married life so my main dietary change was to simply reduce the carbs levels again. Another important change was learning to adjust my recipes so I could still bake - but using low carb ingredients. I've always eaten normal full fat food so it's great no longer having to feel guilty about doing so.

GP stopped metformin 2 years ago which appears to have made no difference to my glucose levels...o_O I also refused to continue statins any longer and again saw little difference other than a drop in glucose levels after stopping them.

So I'm probably just at the top end of remission but I've stayed there for over five and a half years. with very little effort and a far better diet, and as an added bonus no more debilitating chronic migraines or annual bouts of hayfever.

Robbity

(ETA But for what it's worth I'm still a rather overweight,lazy old woman...)

Last edited:

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Interestingly My hba1c has been at non diabetic levels for 6 years but I am still on the diabetic register and, according to my DN, not in remission just “well controlled”. It seems different GPs have different ideas!
I'm happy with "well-controlled". And I'd even consider going back on the Metformin due to the extra benefits, and so I could be less strict on my regime.