Forgive Me, For I Have Sinned (Low-Carb)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To err once is divine, to err twice is human. to err more than that is the snake in the game of snakes and ladders,

(corruption of the following)
To err is human, to forgive divine definition. All people commit sins and make mistakes. God forgives them, and people are acting in a godlike (divine) way when they forgive. This saying is from “An Essay on Criticism,” by Alexander Pope.

Reactions: Freema and Grateful

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started to walk to the local folk club, where I drink a pint of beer and a pint of soda water, and then walk home again. If I decide to take the bus then I only have the water.
They have some really good beers from several local micro breweries but I could wish that it had not moved close to my house from where it used to be last year. It is just about far enough away, an hours walking all together, so I look upon it as an incentive to exercise rather than an unfortunate lapse in control - we shall see.
I would not indulge if my results were at all iffey, but they were not when last tested by the clinic and my meter tests seem to be good, so I can't see any harm in such a small lapse.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would not indulge if my results were at all iffey, but they were not when last tested by the clinic and my meter tests seem to be good, so I can't see any harm in such a small lapse.

The way I think about it, if I were to make this a habit (and it was Big Habit in my pre-diagnosis days) I would have to reduce the carbs somewhere else in my diet, to compensate for the daily 21g in the beer. On my current ultra-low-carb diet that would be almost impossible. So I'd have to try a somewhat larger carb allowance and see if it works for me.

So early after my diagnosis (nine months) this is probably not worth it. Also, I lost a very welcome 5 inches from my waistline and much of that was probably "eliminating beer belly." I don't have a problem with having the occasional pint, perhaps once a week, but for some of us that degree of willpower is pretty hard to achieve. I work much better with "all or nothing."

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Now there is sinning and then there is SINNING, for me last night the sin was lamb pathia, peshwari naan and keema rice and a small lager.

Confíteor Deo omnipoténti
et vobis, fratres,
quia peccávi nimis
cogitatióne, verbo,
ópere et omissióne:
mea culpa, mea culpa,
mea máxima culpa.
Ideo precor beátam Maríam semper vírginem,
omnes angelos et sanctos,
et vos, fratres,
oráre pro me ad Dóminum Deum nostrum

croc22056

Last Wednesday I had my three-monthly HbA1c and as I walked out of the doctor's office, a little red-colored fellow with funny horns and a pitchfork appeared on my shoulder.

He whispered into my ear: "Your next HbA1c is in three months. It measures BG for the previous 8 to 12 weeks but tends to be a bit biased toward the more recent end of that period. There's that nice liquor store on the drive home."

Aaahhh, an excellent pint of German Hefe Weissbier (21g of carbs) during that early-evening hour at home. Then, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. Life is good.

So this morning I am reconciling my online bank account and the hard facts, in the form of daily charges at the liquor store, are there: It started on Wednesday, then daily pints of Weissbier on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Plus the usual wine with dinner.

It was fun while it lasted.
LOL. when the devil tempts....

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now there is sinning and then there is SINNING, for me last night the sin was lamb pathia, peshwari naan and keema rice and a small lager.

Et ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Patris, et Filii,+ et Spiritus Sancti.

(I am an atheist, but I love the Latin liturgy and sing in church choirs sometimes.)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

croc22056

Actually, I'm a student researching on diabetes, in fact right now, I am thinking of an innovation which would be the first of its kind!!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only