Forgive the question...

DaveXF

however, after being put straight onto 2x500mg twice a day...with the explosive results..I wonder just how much of the medicinal effects are simply flushed down the pan?
I've dropped down to 2 x 500mg a day, from today, to see how I cope and the effect on my BG.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
however, after being put straight onto 2x500mg twice a day...with the explosive results..I wonder just how much of the medicinal effects are simply flushed down the pan?
I've dropped down to 2 x 500mg a day, from today, to see how I cope and the effect on my BG.
Metformin tends to have this effect on some people. I'm one of the lucky ones like you, I moved into the loo for weeks before going off it. Metformin doesn't have a very big impact on bloodsugars as it is (It's an appetite-suppresant and tells your liver to dump less glucose into your bloodstream, but it doesn't do much for what you ingest carb/sugar-wise). If it's more than 2 weeks and you're still a geiser, you can try the slow release metformin, which gets tolerated better by some folks. Or make sure you have it with a meal, rather than on an empty stomach, I heard that could make a difference too. Me, I got shocked into changing my diet because of how I responded to metformin, and haven't looked back. Diet-controlled for 2 years, non-diabetic levels with no T2 meds at all, and hopeful to keep it that way. Maybe Low Carb/High Fat is something to look into?

Good luck!
Jo

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
For most people metformin does not do much to lower blood glucose levels when compared to reducing carb intake.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You could ask your surgery for slow release Metformin. Alternatively you can do LCHF to reduce blood glucose / fatty liver (Metformin reduces liver dumps primarily and is said to have 3rd party protective measurements); more aggressive resolution of issues can be achieved by going lower carb than LCHF (between around 50 grams to 100 grams of carbs per day) by going Keto (around 50 grams or less of carbs). Adding Intermittent Fasting e.g. 16 / 8 or 16 / 6 for example (eating all meals within an 8 / 6 hour window) can make further reductions alongside exercise.

Once I removed Metformin I never have re-introduced. If you choose this route just measure your blood sugars to check you are at least as managed as before stopping.

DaveXF

Metformin tends to have this effect on some people. I'm one of the lucky ones like you, I moved into the loo for weeks before going off it. Metformin doesn't have a very big impact on bloodsugars as it is (It's an appetite-suppresant and tells your liver to dump less glucose into your bloodstream, but it doesn't do much for what you ingest carb/sugar-wise). If it's more than 2 weeks and you're still a geiser, you can try the slow release metformin, which gets tolerated better by some folks. Or make sure you have it with a meal, rather than on an empty stomach, I heard that could make a difference too. Me, I got shocked into changing my diet because of how I responded to metformin, and haven't looked back. Diet-controlled for 2 years, non-diabetic levels with no T2 meds at all, and hopeful to keep it that way. Maybe Low Carb/High Fat is something to look into?

Good luck!
Jo
Hi and thank you.
This is Xtended release...I gave up Met as I struggled to get down the glorified horse tablets that the chemist changed to.
I used to break them...so that was a waste of time....
whether it was standard or extended release I cannot remember feeling so ruddy ill and..yes...a geyser would be an apt descripton... :)
I've been med free for about two years...and it looks like I fell off the wagon a tad...I out on about a stone and the BP went through the roof. my BG shot up to the high teens and now, after 4 days I'm sat on 5.9mmol post prandial.
I blame a hot summer and my ability to consume copious amounts of cider and/or proceco.
Another problem is liver dumping..I hope that this is fixed... or soon will be.

Last edited:

DaveXF

You could ask your surgery for slow release Metformin. Alternatively you can do LCHF to reduce blood glucose / fatty liver (Metformin reduces liver dumps primarily and is said to have 3rd party protective measurements); more aggressive resolution of issues can be achieved by going lower carb than LCHF (between around 50 grams to 100 grams of carbs per day) by going Keto (around 50 grams or less of carbs). Adding Intermittent Fasting e.g. 16 / 8 or 16 / 6 for example (eating all meals within an 8 / 6 hour window) can make further reductions alongside exercise.

Once I removed Metformin I never have re-introduced. If you choose this route just measure your blood sugars to check you are at least as managed as before stopping.
Hi and thank you.
I'm on <20g of carb a day and/or <5% carb content per food stuff.
As noted above...I must have caned the cider this summer and I'm now paying the price ...

DaveXF

For most people metformin does not do much to lower blood glucose levels when compared to reducing carb intake.
That's what I would think and I do low carb ..or have started to consistently( again) .
When i followed the usual ..."have porridge, eat multigrain bread " I would fly up into the low teens- even on
Met.
Sadly, I'm a bit of a glutton and when I'm "on one" ( mainly after a rough meeting/ day at work) I would happily down a few bottles of merrydown and a packet of kit Kats.
No wonder my beta cells are 'compromised'