Forgot sharps bin and got too travel back tommorow

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
:banghead:I completely forgot my travel sharps bin. I’ve put my used needles with my other needles which are in a bag near my insulin and Dario. Will airport security be fine that not all the needles are sealed and not in a sharps bin? As it’ll be on my carry on??

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have travelled on more than 100 flight since I was diagnosed with t1. Most of these are with no hand luggage.
In that time, I have never ever taken my sharps box on a flight. No airport or airline person has ever noticed. I never felt the need to tell them.
Usually, I put my sharps in a used water bottle. This is the recommendation from my diabetes team when first diagnosed. I only got sharps boxes about 4 years ago.
Ok but I never took my waterbottle lol and this is hand luggage we don’t check in often we always take carry ons. I don’t get why airports are strict with sharps. Awkwardly before we’ve either taken the sharps bin or cheekily thrown it in the bin

D

Deleted member 308541

Ok but I never took my waterbottle lol and this is hand luggage we don’t check in often we always take carry ons.
Here's your solution for no water bottle, go an buy a bottle of water and have a drink, then use the empty bottle to put sharp bits in.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Here's your solution for no water bottle, go an buy a bottle of water and have a drink, then use the empty bottle to put sharp bits in.
Well that’s awkard it’s 22:37 and In Holland I’m in a very quiet area. Thanks my dad doesn’t want to drive after drinking alcohol and our area isn’t near any shops. I’m at my dads house which is in a very quiet area. The only thing nearby is a forest and well I don’t drive And i also don’t feel comfortable going out this late in a country I’m not that familiar on. Everyone else plus the dog is asleep as well

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I know you're in the Netherlands, and I think most diabetics around here throw their needles (with the cap back on of course!) in the bin. I'm not even sure about the laws, but no HCP ever has emphasised not to. It may have something to do with our waste being burned, no landfills with possible scavengers.

Mind, I don't know for sure if just binning them is legal, but I've never thought twice about using the ashtrays at my house or my friends' places.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that’s awkard it’s 22:37 and In Holland I’m in a very quiet area. Thanks my dad doesn’t want to drive after drinking alcohol and our area isn’t near any shops.
Lots of shops with bottled water at the airport before security. There's no need to get rid of your needles tonight, eh :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that’s awkard it’s 22:37 and In Holland I’m in a very quiet area. Thanks my dad doesn’t want to drive after drinking alcohol and our area isn’t near any shops. I’m at my dads house which is in a very quiet area. The only thing nearby is a forest and well I don’t drive And i also don’t feel comfortable going out this late in a country I’m not that familiar on. Everyone else plus the dog is asleep as well
Lulu - Would your Dad have a jar, or bottle in the recycling, perhaps, that could be used, so that your needles can be disposed of, as @Antje77 suggests, for burning?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lulu9101112 ,

What I do is use the cap from the new needle to shield the old.
The fastclix lancet drums are easy, they shield themselves on removal.
There is usually a small receptical in a spare sturdy pocket of my bag to put these till I get home & can dispose of properly.
I've also used the paper bag some of the smaller stuff like my Mobile cartriges were dispensed in? Which hold them together till I get back..

I've flown many times & sharps are a concern for airport security owing to passenger & flight crew safety. (It's times we live in.) However, medical sharps are acceptable in the cabin on a flight.
Security won't bat an eyelid regarding your Diabetes supplies..

Lol, I've traveled to gigs in the past with three other dodgy looking long haired geezers. They have searched us for a lot of "stuff," swabbed for explosives & even had a pair of plyers confiscated.

But my meds & ascociated paraphernalia has always been fine. ;)