Found out the inevitable today, T2

BarneyLFC80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, today was the day for it to be confirmed. Docs automated SMS system kind of told me I had Diabetes just before New Year as I had been in for a batch of tests for some other medical complaint.

Been a large lad all my life, tried no end of diets etc, none have really worked well long term. Always wondered if I would end up with more problems later on in life. 3 years ago confirmed as having Fatty Liver Disease (still think that's daft), and now have high BP with confirmed Type 2. Just edging into the Diabetes scale I believe, so he's now "added me to the list" as he put it. Can't recall us discussing my hba1c reading, so will need to find that out.

So, any tips out there folk?? Been reading up the general do's and don't in terms of diet. Some of it is paining me already, I absolutely love CHEESE!!! I guess I'll find a way to cope, and I hope that this forum helps that mechanism, problem shared and all that. Perhaps it's something like this, along with the other ailments that will make me realise that SOMETHING needs to be done to improve my medical well being. I'll sleep on that idea tonight!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok sounds like you are a great contender for the Low Carb High fat diet.. cheese is fine.. meats, eggs, butter, cream. Sound good so far? Green veg is fine but cut out stodge like bread, spuds, pasta, rice and just have the good stuff. Obviously sugar is out as is beer (which may be a little harder to do) but red wine is ok in moderation.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome Barney, I was diagnosed last May and was well over weight. I’ve lost 5 stone since then and am rarely hungry. Low carb eating is a brilliant way to lose weight and get your blood sugars down at the same time. The food need not be boring, quite the opposite cheese is well and truly on the menu you’ll be pleased to hear, as Bulkbiker says eggs, bacon, butter, cream, all those things you wouldn’t expect too.
There are loads of websites for low carb recipes if you want to break out the oven gloves!
Self testing is very useful too, to see how your body reacts to different meals. Seriously consider getting a blood glucose meter.
Let me tag in @daisy1 who’ll post loads of useful info for you.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum you have come to the right place for information and support. If you have any questions just ask.

BarneyLFC80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok sounds like you are a great contender for the Low Carb High fat diet.. cheese is fine.. meats, eggs, butter, cream. Sound good so far? Green veg is fine but cut out stodge like bread, spuds, pasta, rice and just have the good stuff. Obviously sugar is out as is beer (which may be a little harder to do) but red wine is ok in moderation.

Sounds like a plan! With carbs like rice, bread and pasta - is it ok to switch these for wholegrain varieties? I've steered away from most beers these days (as I'm also producing high uric acid and I found that made it worse), but I do like a spot of cider every now and then. Wife read up that mixed berry varieties aren't good - try telling me that with 2 fridge packs of Carling Mixed Berry Cider lol

Thanks for your advise too Rachox - I already had myself a meter, as I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea. Trialled it tonight :)

Reactions: Liam1955 and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a plan! With carbs like rice, bread and pasta - is it ok to switch these for wholegrain varieties? I've steered away from most beers these days (as I'm also producing high uric acid and I found that made it worse), but I do like a spot of cider every now and then. Wife read up that mixed berry varieties aren't good - try telling me that with 2 fridge packs of Carling Mixed Berry Cider lol

Thanks for your advise too Rachox - I already had myself a meter, as I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea. Trialled it tonight :)
Whole grain varieties are just white versions disguised in brown coats, so they are a no no too I’m afraid. Lidl do sell some high protein, triangular bread rolls which are relatively low carb and there are rice and pasta alternatives available too.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Sorry to hear of your new diagnosis, welcome to the forum.
Good luck with the new dietary plan.
Take care

Reactions: dbr10

BarneyLFC80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I best get looking at the alternatives. There seems to be a lot of info out there, of which some is contradictory and misleading.

Is it worthwhile enrolling on one of the courses? My GP recommended it.

Reactions: shelley262

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I best get looking at the alternatives. There seems to be a lot of info out there, of which some is contradictory and misleading.

A lot of the NHS dietary advice hasn’t caught up with the success of low carb diets for Type 2s. They tend to just recommend the ‘Eatwell plate’ which is general healthy eating for non diabetics. I’m lucky my GP is on board with low carb diets but the majority of NHS staff have a bit of catching up to do.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I laughed out loud when the diabetes education people recommended that we should eat baked potatoes and baked beans.
They were at a total loss when I was down to below diabetic levels at the third session - but I was really worried as there were some really ill people attending - one couple who were at the second one did not turn up for the third.
I have not seen my doctor since diagnosis - I think he's sulking, and am bouncing about like a Tigger.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Can’t really add to the excellent advice above, but you might want to check out the Diet Doctor website for food ideas.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, today was the day for it to be confirmed. Docs automated SMS system kind of told me I had Diabetes just before New Year as I had been in for a batch of tests for some other medical complaint.

Been a large lad all my life, tried no end of diets etc, none have really worked well long term. Always wondered if I would end up with more problems later on in life. 3 years ago confirmed as having Fatty Liver Disease (still think that's daft), and now have high BP with confirmed Type 2. Just edging into the Diabetes scale I believe, so he's now "added me to the list" as he put it. Can't recall us discussing my hba1c reading, so will need to find that out.

So, any tips out there folk?? Been reading up the general do's and don't in terms of diet. Some of it is paining me already, I absolutely love CHEESE!!! I guess I'll find a way to cope, and I hope that this forum helps that mechanism, problem shared and all that. Perhaps it's something like this, along with the other ailments that will make me realise that SOMETHING needs to be done to improve my medical well being. I'll sleep on that idea tonight!
Hi Barney...I was diagnosed around 18 months ago in a telephone call from my local surgery...given a prescription...told to see my regular GP when he returned from holiday...did just that...leaflets supplied...little else said...no need to test your blood sugars...book yourself on an education course & come back in three months...had heard of diabetes but no idea how it could impact on my life at that stage...my GP had a very blasé attitude so I wasn't overly concerned...now 18 months later I know better...I've read...researched...joined a couple of forums where I have learned so much...have reasonable control of my diabetes...take better care of myself than I have done for many years so ironically for me as unbelievable as it may sound diabetes has had many positive aspects that arrived with it...one essential source of reading for me was 'Type 2 Diabetes The First Year' by Gretchen Becker...type 2 herself...she takes you through her first year month by month...explains what diabetes is...how it develops...whether to self monitor our blood sugars...explains the benefits of testing...diet and so much more...for me it was an absolute life saver...I would highly recommend it...you can preview it on Amazon...possibly find it in your local library...well worth a look.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I laughed out loud when the diabetes education people recommended that we should eat baked potatoes and baked beans.
They were at a total loss when I was down to below diabetic levels at the third session - but I was really worried as there were some really ill people attending - one couple who were at the second one did not turn up for the third.
I have not seen my doctor since diagnosis - I think he's sulking, and am bouncing about like a Tigger.
I attended a DESMOND course seven months after my diagnosis...thankfully by that time had read & researched type2 extensively...never heard so much conflicting advice...the wonderful eat well plate was produced...the standard NHS advice was given...the educators did not engage me or most of the other attendees...I have heard some did find their courses useful...it can depend on which course you attend...the area you live in...and of course the educators that conduct them...disappointingly the DESMOND course did nothing for me...came away feeling as if I'd just watched a screening of the latest Mike Leigh production...I found the dietary advice archaic...confusing...the tone was condescending with the emphasis on no need to test for type2s non dependent on hypoglycaemic medications...I have tested regularly since diagnosis despite being advised against that from all the health care professionals I have encountered...for me that has proved an invaluable resource in managing my diabetes.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

No ... having read the rubbish others have experienced, you'll learn a LOT more here

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@BarneyLFC80

Hello Barney and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look up Diet Doctor website and you will find very good diet advice, and why would you need to give up cheese. Warn you now that doctors diet advice will bear no resemblance to what you will read on here. Regarding your Fatty Liver disease for gods sake do not ignore this. Potentially this is more serious than your Type 2, and is possibly why you are diabetic. Do not let your doctor fob you off, ask to be referred to the liver clinic for scans so that you know what state it is in now and get it repeated yearly. I was told for 9 years I had non alcoholic fatty liver disease and not to worry about it. I didn't. I now have untreatable cirrhosis.
All that sounds very negative but you have the answers in your own hands. You can put your diabetes into remission with a Low carb, high fat diet. This diet should also allow your liver to recover, along with limited alcohol and weight and resistance training. So for you luckily, you can go on to have a long and healthy life. Good luck.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@BarneyLFC80

My GP/Nurse put me on the X PERT course:

https://www.xperthealth.org.uk/

This was free for me through the NHS, so I would think it would be free for you but you may have to ask about it.
It was an eye opener as before that, following my diagnosis, I was just eating "healthy" i.e Low Fat, Brown carbs and fruit, veg etc. I had found the apparent conflicting advice VERY confusing (and I will admit I am a little cynical about the information on the Internet). FOllowing the course I had adopted alow carb approach but there are other approaches or variations that you can use.

FYI I am working from hoem today so I had a fry up for breakfast - 2 fried eggs, 4 rashers bacon and button mushrooms - all fried in butter - about 8g of carbs. Lovely and not boring :)